• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Anyone know about renal troubles on Carnivoire.

21 hours ago, Flagrammie55 said:

Thinking of doing Keto diet for a month. Then doing a Carnivore  for 60 days. Mostly as elimination diet. My Gfr is 63. Has anyone heard of people having worsening Kidney  function on these diets? 

Welcome aboard @Flagrammie55 🙂

I have Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease which I had BEFORE I started keto and carnivore. I have documented by experience as a carnivore with CKD 4 in this topic...

https://carnivoretalk.com/topic/69-stage-4-chronic-kidney-disease-and-the-carnivore-diet/

The key takeaway is that when you eat meat, you produce more creatinine (protein waste). Creatinine is used to calculate eGFR, so it will give the appearance that you are doing damage to your kidneys, even when this isn't the case. You should start getting Cystatin C tests to calculate eGFR as well as some other markers that will assure you that you are just fine - because the standard eGFR tests will spook you.