• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Diet provided by Doctor Office

So I can see how this is Keto inspired, as a lot of the items listed is actually quite accurate for a Low Carb or somewhat clean Keto plan. But the pyramid is unfortunately not. You can tell that the person(s) who put this together is pro-plants and ant-fat. To explain....

It mentions lean roast beef, lean hamburger, canadian bacon (which is lean ham), and poultry without the skin, which is lean. But a keto diet is keeping your carbohydrate intake under 20g per day to get your body to enter a state of ketosis, where it burns fat for energy due to the lack of carbs. So the keto dieter actually wants fatty red meat, regular bacon, and chicken with the skin (which is where the fat is). Similarly, it mentions low fat cheese. You actually want full fat cheese. Anything labeled low fat, skim, etc, is a keto dieters enemy.

Also, fruit is out, at least until you reach your goal weight. But apples, grapes, oranges, etc are full of fructose (sugar) and will kick you out of ketosis. A few berries, like rapseberries, strawberries, or blueberries, is okay as they have much less sugar and carbs. They also say to eliminate nuts, but some nuts (not all) are okay for keto dieters. Again, the person(s) who put this together have been misled to believe that fat is the enemy instead of carbs.

On the plus side, it does promote a more whole foods approach than the standard american junk diet. They don't want you eating processed or ultra-processed foods, which is always a good thing.

Yes, this diet seems to be more in line with trying to help with things like blood sugar, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and other physical ailments that often require medication to control if a proper diet is not followed instead of weight loss.

13 hours ago, Amatia said:

My cardiologist just informed me that I had to lower my cholesterol - looking forward to sharing - so thankful for this board!

Tia

Information about cholesterol has been changing over the last 10-15 years, and a lot of Doctor's aren't up to date. If all your other blood markers are in range and your eating a proper diet (fresh, unprocessed, clean keto, or carnivore) then higher cholesterol might not be an issue at all. 

My was 192 the last time I had it tested. I'm willing to bet it's higher now but I am okay with that.

8 hours ago, Qapla said:

Yes, this diet seems to be more in line with trying to help with things like blood sugar, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and other physical ailments that often require medication to control if a proper diet is not followed instead of weight loss.

Well all that fruit isn't going to help that blood sugar. I would toss that food pyramid in the trash and replace it with this one...

CT-KetoPyramid.thumb.jpg.de3d5e28aa888a96a568bebbfb24d12b.jpg