• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Did the G.O.A.T debate end at the World Cup?

• Henrywrites changed the title to Did the G.O.A.T debated end at the World Cup?
  • Bob changed the title to Did the G.O.A.T debate end at the World Cup?

You must be from overseas. I'm in Ohio, USA and here football is a totally different sport. What you call football, we refer to as soccer. I played soccer in school, but I don't follow soccer or many sports at all actually in my adult life. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 11:32 PM, Orweller said:

No. And it will never be settled with so many candidates. 

Are you saying that Messi winning the World Cup didn't make him the greatest of all time? He's won literally every trophy that is there to have been won in the game while scoring lots of goals. Some football analyst think he's done amazingly well. 

2 hours ago, Henrywrites said:

Are you saying that Messi winning the World Cup didn't make him the greatest of all time? He's won literally every trophy that is there to have been won in the game while scoring lots of goals. Some football analyst think he's done amazingly well. 

It's kinda like who is the greatest boxer, Mayweather on paper for sure?? Then you look at Chavez, Marciano, etc. 

Same goes for MMA. You see these newest fighters put on fantastic records, but who are they fighting vs, the greats from the past (GSP), whom fought legends to get where he ended up. 

As for soccer, yeah we can look at Ballon D'ors which is nothing but a popularity contest, politics, really. 

Messi is a fantastic player, possibly the best yes, I still put Pele and Maradona in the mix though. It's for me what they've done in the times they played, and in the amount of time they achieved it as well. That said, yes, Messi is a magician on the field. Who is the greatest right now? Yes Messi. But GOAT means of all times. 

Some of these calls they made on the field at the world cup were definitely slanted. It's of course in the interest of soccer as a sport, and FIFA to have someone like Messi win his last cup. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/24/2023 at 2:46 AM, Orweller said:

It's kinda like who is the greatest boxer, Mayweather on paper for sure?? Then you look at Chavez, Marciano, etc. 

Same goes for MMA. You see these newest fighters put on fantastic records, but who are they fighting vs, the greats from the past (GSP), whom fought legends to get where he ended up. 

As for soccer, yeah we can look at Ballon D'ors which is nothing but a popularity contest, politics, really. 

Messi is a fantastic player, possibly the best yes, I still put Pele and Maradona in the mix though. It's for me what they've done in the times they played, and in the amount of time they achieved it as well. That said, yes, Messi is a magician on the field. Who is the greatest right now? Yes Messi. But GOAT means of all times. 

Some of these calls they made on the field at the world cup were definitely slanted. It's of course in the interest of soccer as a sport, and FIFA to have someone like Messi win his last cup. 

I think they do most of these comparisons to spice things up for fans. They use it as something that the fans will keep talking about and that is what I totally understand from all of that.