• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Do I need to worry about histamines and how do I detect if there is a problem?

I am going to start the carnivore diet this week and I plan to increase my meat consumption (only beef) over the week until I eat about 1-1.2 kg of beef a day as that would be roughly the amount of kcal I eat now (3000) and then adjust it up or down based on how my weight reacts (I also train quite a lot so I don't want to lose too much weight as I am trying to build muscle).

For convenience I plan to use a slow cooker over night (I have used it in the past for meat and it really frees up a lot of time) and put the meat in the slow cooker and let it cook on the low setting over night (I think it is set at about 70 degrees (158 Fahrenheit))

One potential "issue" I have heard though is that using a slow cooker can produce a lot of histamines. Is this a problem or what is the deal with histamines? Are they only a problem if you are sensitive to histamines and is that easy to detect? From what I understand meat is high in histamines in general also?

I am contemplating getting a Steam Cooker instead as from what I have read this should be one of the methods with the least chance of producing histamines? Is a Steam Cooker in stainless steel good or should it be glass?

I also read that you should cook the meat as soon as possible after buying to minimize histamine accumulation. I assume this also means you should freeze the meat as soon as possible when you get it? (I buy in bulk). In the past I have stored it in the refrigiator until close to the expiring date since this was recommended to tenderize the meat, but this might also lead to higher histamine then?

43 minutes ago, premious said:

...what is the deal with histamines? Are they only a problem if you are sensitive to histamines and is that easy to detect?

Yes, 99% of people don't have any issues with histamines. Histamines are in just about every food at various levels. Your body also produces histamines, and also an enzyme called diamine oxidase. Diamine oxidase is what breaks down histamine that you take in from foods. If you develop a diamine oxidase deficiency and cannot break down histamine, you could develop histamine intolerance.

If you have histamine intolerance, you need to eat foods low in histamines. For a carnivore, eggs are good, and so is fresh meat and fresh caught fish. Canned and cured meats will be high in histamines because they are aged. You can also attempt taking antihistamines or diamine oxidase supplements, but they may or may not work.

Histamine intolerance only affects about 1% of people, so I wouldn't overthink it just yet.

58 minutes ago, premious said:

I have heard though is that using a slow cooker can produce a lot of histamines... I am contemplating getting a Steam Cooker instead

This could help, or a pressure cooker. Basically, if you had this problem you would want to get the freshest meat possible. If you weren't going to eat it right away, you would want to freeze it. If you freeze it, you want to thaw it as fast as possible, perhaps figuring out how to cook it from frozen. I've also read that you should avoid browning or burning your food.

1 hour ago, premious said:

Is a Steam Cooker in stainless steel good or should it be glass?

Either one is good.

1 hour ago, premious said:

In the past I have stored it in the refrigiator until close to the expiring date since this was recommended to tenderize the meat, but this might also lead to higher histamine then?

Yes, this would. But if you were still able to eat it then without issues, my hunch would be that you do not have any histamine intolerances.