• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Pre-Carnivore baseline bloodwork?

Greetings. New here, and wasn't sure where to post this - hope it's OK.

For a number of reasons, Hubby and I are planning to change our diet - from 2 years of Keto, to Carnivore. We are both age 56. He's in a weight loss stall and has mild hypertension. Over the past 3 years I have developed some health problems: intermittent cardiac and cognitive issues, and constant metabolic weirdness; fasting glucose often well north of 100 and HbA1C is 5.9. I'm not diabetic, and at 5'10" and 130lbs I do not need to lose weight. We are on no medications.

We want to have bloodwork done before the switch, and intend to use Own Your Labs / LabCorp. (Our doctor dismissed my concerns and refused my request for a fasting insulin test). We'd sure appreciate a list of necessary / recommended tests to have run before we embark on Carnivore, and for tracking our health throughout.

Thank you in advance,

LynnD

50 minutes ago, Lynn D said:

Greetings. New here, and wasn't sure where to post this - hope it's OK.

For a number of reasons, Hubby and I are planning to change our diet - from 2 years of Keto, to Carnivore. We are both age 56. He's in a weight loss stall and has mild hypertension. Over the past 3 years I have developed some health problems: intermittent cardiac and cognitive issues, and constant metabolic weirdness; fasting glucose often well north of 100 and HbA1C is 5.9. I'm not diabetic, and at 5'10" and 130lbs I do not need to lose weight. We are on no medications.

We want to have bloodwork done before the switch, and intend to use Own Your Labs / LabCorp. (Our doctor dismissed my concerns and refused my request for a fasting insulin test). We'd sure appreciate a list of necessary / recommended tests to have run before we embark on Carnivore, and for tracking our health throughout.

Thank you in advance,

LynnD

Good luck on your journey. Myself I have done zero blood tests before beginning this so I cannot help you there. Just wanted to wish you good luck. 

Technically you can check anything and everything. But if you are generally healthy you can start with these. I've had the following done for myself...

The CMP will check markers for kidney and liver function.

OR, get all of the above and more with this one bundle here. This is what I did...

https://ownyourlabs.com/product/basics-bundle/

The bundle includes everything mentioned above and adds to it a Complete Blood Count (CBC) With Differential/Platelet as well as a C-Reactive Protein, the latter of which is a marker for inflammation in the body.

There's a book on Amazon called "Common Sense Labs" by Dr. Berry that goes over all the tests he would do in detail. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

OR, get all of the above and more with this one bundle here. This is what I did...

https://ownyourlabs.com/product/basics-bundle/

The bundle includes everything mentioned above and adds to it a Complete Blood Count (CBC) With Differential/Platelet as well as a C-Reactive Protein, the latter of which is a marker for inflammation in the body.

Hey Bob -

Just ordered this bundle for both of us.

Really appreciate the info / suggestion. ❤️

It's a pretty neat thing they got going on over there. I even let them have a copy of my results for the extra 10% off 🙂

Here at my local Labcorp, you check in on a computer that scans your ID. If you're in the system it will show you your personal and insurance information on the screen and ask if the insurance is correct. There's an option for "I've pre-paid or paid someone else for this service". You will want to tap that so it doesn't bill your insurance.

If you don't see the option or your setup is different they can correct it in the room when they enter in all the codes.