• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

You are probably aware of a service called OwnYourLabs.com, where you can order your own labs and have access to the results. They operate in an agreement with LabCorp so you get your results in your LabCorp account.

Now there are other services like OwnYourLabs.com where you can order your own labs at discounted prices. Usually OwnYourLabs.com is the cheapest, but there is one test that I wanted that is very expensive currently. That test is a Cystatin C. Cystatin C is an alternative test that can be used to calculate eGFR for those with chronic kidney disease, or those who are alarmed with their rising creatinine levels.

Creatinine is a protein waste product. However, it can be affected by excess meat consumption and/or lifting weights. Higher than average levels of creatinine can lead physicians to assume you too have chronic kidney disease.

However, Cystatin C is a protein produced by the cells that the kidneys are supposed to keep in check also. Cystatin C though is not affected by working out nor the food you eat. The problem though is that since OwnYourLabs.com doesn't get a lot of requests for a Cystatin C, the best price they can get at the time of this posting is about $280.00. Wowsa!

I was recently introduced to another website offering a similar service called JasonHealth.com and they offer Cystatin C orders for $40 plus an $18 lab collection fee ($58 in total). They operate through an agreement with Quest Diagnostics.

I have come to learn about others who are eating a carnivore diet and/or working out and suddenly their creatinine levels are registering as too high, and they are told there is a problem with their kidneys, but when they got their Cystatic C checked, they learned that their kidneys were just fine, and that their creatinine level was grossly exaggerated by their diet and exercise routine.

I wanted to share with the community in case there are others of you who would like Cystatin C test but don't want to drop $300.

JasonHealth.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently discovered another site that looks like a very nice option. It's called Ulta Lab Tests. It would appear that they offer Cystatin C also for $40 plus an $8 specimen collection fee ($48 in total). They also operate through Quest Diagnostics.

All three of these sites are worth checking out. All three provide a myriad of tests for you and are very affordable. 

https://www.ultalabtests.com/