• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Fat Loss on a strict Carnivore Diet

Guys, i need some advice. First of all, forgive any grammar mistake, english is not my first language (I am from Sao Paulo, Brazil)

I am on week 10 of strict Carnivore diet. (I eat 400-500g of meat and 7-8 eggs a day, divided in 2 meals a day). I am 34 years old, at 183 cms, +- 20%BF. I lost 17 lbs(mostly water. My body composition barely changed) in the first 6 weeks, but for the last couple of weeks my fat loss stalled. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, to help with my body recomposition. I am  healthy individual.
I Dont know what to do. I will stick with the Carnivore diet, for at least 90-100 days (as it is recommend by most Carnivores) however, i may have to count caloires because eating by feel, it is not working for me. I started a carnivore diet for body recomposiontions goal. ( I am a healthy individual, with no chronic disease or health problems, that i know).I Tought with the Carnivore diet i could undergo a body recompostions without having to use the same tactics and face the same problems, i had with other diets (Like reducing food intake, getting hungry, Counting calories, losing weight in the beggining but eventually gaining most back
Does anyone knows what could i do, in my situation? (I still need to lose at least  12-15 lbs,at least,  to achive my goal of being under 15%BF).

Also What is a good time frame to make a good jgdmanet about the Carnivore's diet ? Ken Barry uses 90 days as a time frame. Some people say that 100 days is the minimum amount of time and there is also the month of the Carnivore.(Janurary =31 days)
How long does it take to get a good idea of whether a carnivore diet is really effective? (I am starting to think that the Carnivore diet, it is more or less just like anyother diet: It works for some people, and it doesnt for others)

Thank you

• Bob changed the title to Fat Loss on a strict Carnivore Diet
18 hours ago, Andre said:

I eat 400-500g of meat and 7-8 eggs a day, divided in 2 meals a day). I am 34 years old, at 183 cms, +- 20%BF

This translates to 1lb of meat, 7-8 eggs, 6' tall, and 20% body fat for us American folks 🙂

18 hours ago, Andre said:

... for the last couple of weeks my fat loss stalled.... I may have to count caloires because eating by feel, it is not working for me. I started a carnivore diet for body recomposiontions goal... Does anyone knows what could i do, in my situation? (I still need to lose at least  12-15 lbs,at least,  to achieve my goal of being under 15%BF).

There could be a couple things going on. What kind of meat are you eating? Is it fatty, or is it lean? For example, a 1 lb ribeye might have 1200 calories. Add in your 560 calories in the 8 eggs and you are sitting at 1760. Add a tablespoon of butter to cook those eggs in and you are at 1860. But if you are eating lean meat such as chicken or fish then you are coming in way under this.

It's true you don't have to count calories to lose weight, but it is a useful metric to determine if you are over or under eating. Your body's will adjust to your eating habits. For example, if you cut your calories even more, you're body will learn to run on that reduced load. So what some people will do is gradually add calories to their daily intake, 1800 calories for a fews days, then 1850 for a few days, then 1900 for a few days, 1950, 2000, 2050, 2100, 2150, 2200, 2250, 2300, etc, over the course of a month. The body gets used to running with the higher amount, and then you suddenly drop back to 1800 again. You will lose weight again until your body adjusts to what you are doing, and then you repeat the process.

Another idea is how far apart are those 2 meals a day? If you have breakfast at 8am and dinner at 6pm, that is a 14/10 fasting schedule (14 hours fasting, 10 hours feasting). Try adjusting your intermittent fasting window to 16/8 or 18/6 or even 20/4. For example, if you postponed breakfast until noon and had dinner at 6pm, that would be a 18/6 intermittent fasting pattern, where you consume all the food you are going to eat within an 6 hour window.

This video will give you some other ideas of what can help...

7 hours ago, Andre said:

I am 34 years old, at 183 cms, +- 20%BF.

Hello Andre.

Your English is just fine! ❤️

Bob provided great tips, definitely follow those.

The fact that you lost 17 pounds of water weight is amazing. Regardless of body composition, I'd guess that you look trimmer and your clothing fits better. 😊

I would like to know two things: what is your WEIGHT, and how are you determining your body fat percentage? Some methods are more precise than others...

Keep at it; this is a health journey, not a sprint.

LynnD 

First off Andre, don’t worry about the language, I guarantee you can’t butcher it up any worse than U.S. Americans do. Everything you typed was perfectly fine.

Yes we are all different in how this diet works on us. It all depends on where we are starting our journeys. You started out fairly healthy so your experience is going to be totally different from this broken down old man. But, it still works for everyone.
It’s a misconception that carnivore is a weight loss diet. It’s not.
Carnivore is not a magic bullet. Carnivore is not a diet. Carnivore is a way of eating which enables your body to undo years of metabolic damage, abuse from calorie restricted diets, and metabolic disregulation. Carnivore is primarily about health and healing.
Yes- it is true that the weight will come off. But! It will do it when it wants to. For some people it happens fast, for others slow because we are all different.
You may just be in a stall or plateau. I’ve hit plateaus that lasted a month. I’m in one right now that has lasted over a month and I’d like to drop a few more pounds but I don’t worry about it. I just keep on eating the same way because this is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle. I will eat this way the rest of my life. My weight will settle in where it’s supposed to.
Settle into your lifestyle. Eat fatty meat, salt and water and your body will take care of the rest when it wants to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to be sure, at least document (myfitnesspal app) what you eat by using an app. I was never overweight but lost 11lbs and am under 15% body fat. Probably closer to 12% now but muscle definition. So the body composition is a fact for me, no significant muscle loss here. Just leaned out and more definition. The myfitnesspal app also allows you to track weight, and body composition. Gather that data. 

On 1/30/2024 at 10:52 AM, Bob said:

This translates to 1lb of meat, 7-8 eggs, 6' tall, and 20% body fat for us American folks 🙂

There could be a couple things going on. What kind of meat are you eating? Is it fatty, or is it lean? For example, a 1 lb ribeye might have 1200 calories. Add in your 560 calories in the 8 eggs and you are sitting at 1760. Add a tablespoon of butter to cook those eggs in and you are at 1860. But if you are eating lean meat such as chicken or fish then you are coming in way under this.

It's true you don't have to count calories to lose weight, but it is a useful metric to determine if you are over or under eating. Your body's will adjust to your eating habits. For example, if you cut your calories even more, you're body will learn to run on that reduced load. So what some people will do is gradually add calories to their daily intake, 1800 calories for a fews days, then 1850 for a few days, then 1900 for a few days, 1950, 2000, 2050, 2100, 2150, 2200, 2250, 2300, etc, over the course of a month. The body gets used to running with the higher amount, and then you suddenly drop back to 1800 again. You will lose weight again until your body adjusts to what you are doing, and then you repeat the process.

Another idea is how far apart are those 2 meals a day? If you have breakfast at 8am and dinner at 6pm, that is a 14/10 fasting schedule (14 hours fasting, 10 hours feasting). Try adjusting your intermittent fasting window to 16/8 or 18/6 or even 20/4. For example, if you postponed breakfast until noon and had dinner at 6pm, that would be a 18/6 intermittent fasting pattern, where you consume all the food you are going to eat within an 6 hour window.

First of all thank your for responding my post.

I weight 182 lbs( i actually for the first time as a Carnivore, 1 lbs). I eat 2 meals in a window of 4-5 hours. I have been fasting for at least a couple of years. It did NOHTING to me.  |I eat around 1-1,1 lbs of meat( Usualy red meat or Chiken) plus the 7-8 eggs in that window of time, divided in 2 meals.

I've been thinking I would like to ask those more experienced about how much time is needed to evaluate the effectiveness of the Carnivora Diet? Dr. Ken Barry typically uses Carnavore's 90-day estimate. I've seen people use 100 days as a milestone, and there is Carnivore Month. How long does it take to come to a conclusion that the Carnivore diet is indeed effective? Because I'm starting to believe that the Carnivora Diet is like any other diet: Some have excellent results, some have mediocre results and others have almost no results at all.

My case seems to be different from the vast majority of people who adopt this lifestyle. I don't have any illness (Thank God) and I simply had overweight to lose) I've seen people losing 40-50 lbs in 5-6 months, while I am now starting to gain even if I eat the same thing, every day)

I'm going to complete the 90 days of the Carnivora Diet but I don't know how much longer I should extend it. I'm thinking about at least another 30 days but I'm increasingly skepitcal about it.

PS: I have been subscribed to CArnivore channels for almost 6 months. Dr. Anthony Cheffe, Ken Barry, Dr. Baker, and others.

On 1/30/2024 at 11:34 AM, Lynn D said:

Hello Andre.

Your English is just fine! ❤️

Bob provided great tips, definitely follow those.

The fact that you lost 17 pounds of water weight is amazing. Regardless of body composition, I'd guess that you look trimmer and your clothing fits better. 😊

I would like to know two things: what is your WEIGHT, and how are you determining your body fat percentage? Some methods are more precise than others...

Keep at it; this is a health journey, not a sprint.

LynnD 

Hi LynnD, thanks for responding to my post.

I weigh 182 pounds (I gained weight for the first time after 9+ weeks as a carnivore). To estimate my BF % I used two methods:

1- An online calculator that asks your weight, waste circumference and neck circumference.
2- A Sacle that calculates your BF%. My gym has one of these scales.

However, more important than that is the fact that he was thinner. AS a Brazilian, I started playing football and practiced Jiu-Jitsu. I know I have at least 12-15 pounds to lose. Most of the weight I lost was water. It's normal since I follow a normal diet, where 50% of the foods were carbohydrates.

I have been thinking about stopping this experiment after completing 100 days as a carnivore. I'm willing to extend it, but I don't know for how long. It seems to me that the carnivore diet is like any other diet: some people thrive on it , some people have mediocre results, and some people fail.

21 hours ago, Geezy said:

First off Andre, don’t worry about the language, I guarantee you can’t butcher it up any worse than U.S. Americans do. Everything you typed was perfectly fine.

Yes we are all different in how this diet works on us. It all depends on where we are starting our journeys. You started out fairly healthy so your experience is going to be totally different from this broken down old man. But, it still works for everyone.
It’s a misconception that carnivore is a weight loss diet. It’s not.
Carnivore is not a magic bullet. Carnivore is not a diet. Carnivore is a way of eating which enables your body to undo years of metabolic damage, abuse from calorie restricted diets, and metabolic disregulation. Carnivore is primarily about health and healing.
Yes- it is true that the weight will come off. But! It will do it when it wants to. For some people it happens fast, for others slow because we are all different.
You may just be in a stall or plateau. I’ve hit plateaus that lasted a month. I’m in one right now that has lasted over a month and I’d like to drop a few more pounds but I don’t worry about it. I just keep on eating the same way because this is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle. I will eat this way the rest of my life. My weight will settle in where it’s supposed to.
Settle into your lifestyle. Eat fatty meat, salt and water and your body will take care of the rest when it wants to.

Thank you for responding my post.

I have been following Carnivore content for more than 6 months. I understand the lifestyle aspect, but as someone who is healthy, I would like to use the Carnivora Diet to undergo body recomposition without having to starve or count calories.
I'm halfway through week 10 as Carnivore. I've been eating the same thing since I started. My results are average (at best) and I experience practically none of the benefits that Carnivores generally experience (Energy gain, better sleep, improved digestive system, etc.)
So I'm starting to question whether the Carnivora Diet is really efficient for a healthy person. And I'm going to complete at least 100  days as a Carnivore, and I'm thinking about extending that period, but I'm not committed to being a Carnivore for the rest of my life, based on the mediocre results I've had. (I don't see Dieting as some kind of religion or Dogma, If it works great, if not....)

What would be the minimum period to have a clear idea about the efficiency of the Carnivora diet? Dr. Ken Barry speaks of 90 days minimum. But other than that I don't have a reference.
I gained weight for the first time since I started. Something isn't right. I don't know what it is, maybe I won't be able to figure it out. That's why I signed up for the forum to get other perspectives.

Thanks

18 hours ago, Orweller said:

If you want to be sure, at least document (myfitnesspal app) what you eat by using an app. I was never overweight but lost 11lbs and am under 15% body fat. Probably closer to 12% now but muscle definition. So the body composition is a fact for me, no significant muscle loss here. Just leaned out and more definition. The myfitnesspal app also allows you to track weight, and body composition. Gather that data. 

I have a scale where I weigh all the food I eat in a day. My goal is to lose 12-15 pounds of fat to get below 15% body fat. I'm no longer around 20% AM (but I think I'm probably more around 22-23% based on not just my appearance)

On 1/30/2024 at 10:52 AM, Bob said:

Bob, thanks for addressing my post.

I don't eat very often. I eat about 1800-2000 kcal a day. It's easy to keep track since I eat almost the same food every day. Nothing but some meat and eggs. I don't know how I can be eating little if I'm not losing weight. (I actually gained weight for the first time in my Carvniore experience)
I eat 400-500g (1.0-1.2 lbs) of meat plus 7-8 eggs in a 4-5 hour window (I have been fasting at least 16-8 or 18-6 for more than a few years. I've never lost weight because of fasting.)
Allow me to ask you a question about deadlines:
I'm not even halfway through week 10 and I'm going to complete 100 days on the Carnivore Diet. I'm thinking about extending it for another 30 days, but I don't have a time frame, I need to evaluate the effectiveness of the carnivore diet. How long does it take to get a good idea if the Carnviore diet is for you?
As a healthy person, I haven't experienced most of the benefits that the carnivore diet typically provides (better sleep, better digestion, more energy, and so on). I wanted to lose the excess weight I have, build some muscle without having to count all the calories or feel hungry. However, it seems to me that the carnivore diet is more or less like any other diet: it works great for some foxes, it's ok for others, and some people just fail.
 I have at least another 15 lbs of fat to lose i a have no idea if that is even possible, anymore. I saw people have great results and benefits from the Carnivore diet,but they were usualy not healhty individuals. 
Thank you 

PS: i am a subscribed of dr. Anthony Cheeffe, Dr.Ken Barry, Dr. Baker and other Carnivores(Like Jerome Armstrong and the Canivore muscle) 

6 hours ago, Andre said:

So I'm starting to question whether the Carnivora Diet is really efficient for a healthy person.

It can be. A proper human diet is a low carbohydrate, meat-based diet that generally ranges from zero to 100 carbs per day. It does not necessarily have to be 100% carnivore. If you cut out processed food and stick to natural meats, dairy, fruit, and vegetables and avoid processed food, you will likely thrive. However,  staying on the carnivore or ketogenic end of this spectrum (less than 20 carbs daily) is recommended if you are not a healthy person. Cutting out the carbs and the plant toxins can help lose weight, reduce blood pressure, reverse diabetes, and eliminate certain auto-immune and chronic conditions. But if you don't suffer from any of those things then you don't necessarily have to be so strict. You can remain animal-based, and still have some variety.

As a general rule, to lose weight you will want to not eat foods that spike insulin and you will want to be in ketosis often, which is achieved by eating a moderate protein high fat diet. The last 10 pounds or so are notoriously stubborn. 

You say you hit the gym a few times a week. Are you lifting weights? Could you be gaining muscle? It sounds like you are saying you lost 17 pounds right away but now have gained a couple back. Is that correct?

6 hours ago, Andre said:

how much time is needed to evaluate the effectiveness of the Carnivora Diet? Dr. Ken Barry typically uses Carnavore's 90-day estimate. I've seen people use 100 days as a milestone, and there is Carnivore Month. How long does it take to come to a conclusion that the Carnivore diet is indeed effective?

I would agree to give it at least 90 days. Some people experience benefits within the first week. For others, it does take a couple months.

So I'm starting to question whether the Carnivora Diet is really efficient for a healthy person.

Well Andre I don’t know what to tell you.
You are wanting to treat this as just a diet but what you fail to realize is that this is the proper human way of eating. It’s not a weight loss gimmick. Even if you loose the weight you’ll just gain it back when you go back to eating the way you did previously.
Dr. Berry calls it the Proper Human Diet because this is the way man was designed to eat from the beginning of creation. It is a lifestyle of eating because there is no need to eat any other way.
As a young man who is in good physical health you probably won’t see the benefits that us older people see simply because we had many issues that need healing. I know several young men and women who are perfectly healthy but eat this way because they want to optimize their health. They know that as time goes by and they begin to age, if they continue to eat a standard diet of plants, seeds, sugar and seed oils that it will begin to break down their bodies. By eating a proper human diet they know that they will live a long life free of the ailments that the rest of us suffer with in our old age.
So, is it efficient? Absolutely!
If I never lost another pound it wouldn’t make any difference because this is not about losing weight, it’s about healthy living.
I believe you are approaching this whole thing from the wrong perspective. Eat for health and nutrition not your weight. That should take care of itself in time.

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

As a young man who is in good physical health you probably won’t see the benefits that us older people see simply because we had many issues that need healing... as time goes by and they begin to age, if they continue to eat a standard diet of plants, seeds, sugar and seed oils that it will begin to break down their bodies. By eating a proper human diet they know that they will live a long life free of the ailments that the rest of us suffer with in our old age.

Well said! If I could turn back time, and had the nutrition and food knowledge that I have acquired in the last year back in the 90's and early 2000's, I would have done then what I am doing today. Back then, it seemed like I was young and invincible, and yet all the while I was doing damage that wouldn't manifest itself until my mid-30's and later.

Well said! If I could turn back time, and had the nutrition and food knowledge that I have acquired in the last year back in the 90's and early 2000's, I would have done then what I am doing today. Back then, it seemed like I was young and invincible, and yet all the while I was doing damage that wouldn't manifest itself until my mid-30's and later.

AMEN!

On 1/31/2024 at 7:27 PM, Bob said:

It can be. A proper human diet is a low carbohydrate, meat-based diet that generally ranges from zero to 100 carbs per day. It does not necessarily have to be 100% carnivore. If you cut out processed food and stick to natural meats, dairy, fruit, and vegetables and avoid processed food, you will likely thrive. However,  staying on the carnivore or ketogenic end of this spectrum (less than 20 carbs daily) is recommended if you are not a healthy person. Cutting out the carbs and the plant toxins can help lose weight, reduce blood pressure, reverse diabetes, and eliminate certain auto-immune and chronic conditions. But if you don't suffer from any of those things then you don't necessarily have to be so strict. You can remain animal-based, and still have some variety.

As a general rule, to lose weight you will want to not eat foods that spike insulin and you will want to be in ketosis often, which is achieved by eating a moderate protein high fat diet. The last 10 pounds or so are notoriously stubborn. 

You say you hit the gym a few times a week. Are you lifting weights? Could you be gaining muscle? It sounds like you are saying you lost 17 pounds right away but now have gained a couple back. Is that correct?

Hey Bob, thanks for the reply again

I go to the gym 2 to 3 times a week. I train to build muscle. I follow an exercise routine with free weights and machines... I try to walk and be more active too.

But I don't understand how long I should keep doing the same thing without any results? I haven't experienced most of the benefits of Carnivre and I haven't lost fat in the last 3 weeks. I will complete the 100 days and I am willing to extend them. But not indefinitely. If the carnivore diet can't help me undergo body recomposition without having to count every calorie or get hungry, I won't be a carnivore for long.

How long does it take for me to get a good idea about the effect of a carnivore diet?

Thank you again

On 1/31/2024 at 9:38 PM, Geezy said:

Well Andre I don’t know what to tell you.
You are wanting to treat this as just a diet but what you fail to realize is that this is the proper human way of eating. It’s not a weight loss gimmick. Even if you loose the weight you’ll just gain it back when you go back to eating the way you did previously.
Dr. Berry calls it the Proper Human Diet because this is the way man was designed to eat from the beginning of creation. It is a lifestyle of eating because there is no need to eat any other way.
As a young man who is in good physical health you probably won’t see the benefits that us older people see simply because we had many issues that need healing. I know several young men and women who are perfectly healthy but eat this way because they want to optimize their health. They know that as time goes by and they begin to age, if they continue to eat a standard diet of plants, seeds, sugar and seed oils that it will begin to break down their bodies. By eating a proper human diet they know that they will live a long life free of the ailments that the rest of us suffer with in our old age.
So, is it efficient? Absolutely!
If I never lost another pound it wouldn’t make any difference because this is not about losing weight, it’s about healthy living.
I believe you are approaching this whole thing from the wrong perspective. Eat for health and nutrition not your weight. That should take care of itself in time.

No, that's not the case. What I'm not willing to do to treat a diet as if it is DOGMA or RELIGION. I am a healthy individual who started the Carnivore diet, as I explained in my post, to lose fat, build muscle without having to starve or count every calorie... I will be a Carnivore for life if Carnivore effectively produces the results that I am eager to achieve. However, if that doesn't happen, I won't do it. This is not a religion for me. It's a means to an end: improving my body composition without having to feel hungry or count every calorie. I posted to understand what I can do and how long I should wait to evaluate the effects of DEIT Carnivore . I was a healthy individual before Carnivore.( I shoudl just wait that one day i will lose the fat i still need to lose? For how long? Like some kind of God of CArnivores will grant me my wishis because i was a good boy and stay the course?. I dont get.) I Posted so i could learn what i can change or do to improve my results.

Nothing takes care of themselves... This is an illusion. If you want something you better WORK FOR IT.

Thanks

On 1/31/2024 at 7:32 PM, Bob said:

I would agree to give it at least 90 days. Some people experience benefits within the first week. For others, it does take a couple months.

Thanks BOB. I will complete the 100 day mark. I'm willing to extend it for another 30 days, but I don't know what to do to break the fat loss frame and I'm not willing to continue like this for the rest of the year, hoping the fat loss will just happen.

I’m sorry Andre, I feel like I’ve angered you. If that’s the case I apologize.
I was just trying to convey to you what it really means to eat carnivore and I’m afraid that I’m just not very good at explaining what I’m trying to get across with the written word.
I’ll just leave it at that and I sincerely hope you find the results you’re looking for.

19 hours ago, Andre said:

But I don't understand how long I should keep doing the same thing without any results?... I haven't lost fat in the last 3 weeks.

3 weeks is nothing. Did you watch Dr. Berry's video? He says he wouldn't even call it a "weight loss stall" or "weight loss plateau" unless you've been idle for 3 months. The last 10 pounds or so are hard to get off. They don't want to give up the ghost, lol. 

I was 225 a year ago. I started low-carb/dirty-keto in late February or early March, and then switched to clean keto in April, and then started carnivore on May 12th, 2023. When I started carnivore, I was 205. By the end of July I was 193. In mid-August, after 90 days, I started deviating a little here and there. My apple tree was ripe, and I would have an occasional salad or side veggie here and there. On September 1st I was 189. On October 1st I was 184.5. On November 1st I was 178.2. And on November 12th I hit my initial goal of 175. I have had several 3 week stalls along my journey, and right now I have been on a stall since mid-November, which has been 2.5 months. Only yesterday and today have I finally seen some movement again, as I weighed in at 174 both yesterday and today.

I'm not religious and dogmatic about carnivore either. A proper human diet is meat and animal-based, but not necessarily strict carnivore. Some fruits and vegetables are benign, while others contain toxins that you may or may not be able to handle. Refined grains, sugars, seed oils, and processed foods which typically contain all three are best to be avoided. If you can hunt it, milk it, or pluck it from a branch or vine, you'll prosper vs eating out of a box or a wrapper.