• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hello, Patrik from Sweden - Am I doing the Carnivore Diet in the right way?

Hello, Patrik from Sweden - Am I doing the Carnivore Diet in the right way?

I am eating strict carnivores or at least I think so - Meat, Chicken, Fish, Eggs, Butter, Salt and Water.

I have one exception and hope is not interfering too much - one cup of coffee each morning - one raw egg, one spun butter and one cup of coffee.

- I eat around 1600/1800 kcal each day in two meals - because I eat breakfast/lunch together before work and dinner when I get home.

My meal is about 250/350 grams of meat and two to three eggs, salt and water and I starting my third week now.

I calculate how much carbs I get in one day and it's around 3 grams. 1 gram each for the eggs in each meal and the coffee 1 gram.

Cheers Patrik From Sweden

Welcome Patrik 🙂

Yes, it sounds like you are doing just fine. When I started carnivore, I would also do 2 meals a day. Brunch would be 4-6 eggs with breakfast meat and dinner would a pound of beef, ground or steak, and occasionally I would mix things up and do seafood or chicken. If I did seafood or chicken I also prepared bacon because much seafood and chicken is simply too lean and not enough fat for me. I still had my tea in the morning and I do take a few supplements. I was probably clocking in at 2000 calories, give or take. After a while my weight loss plateaued, and so I started minimizing cheese.

A couple doctors have easy acronyms for their 30/90 day challenges. Dr. Berry calls his BBBE, which stands for beef, butter, bacon, and eggs. Dr. Kiltz calls his B.E.B.B.I.I.S. (pronounces "Babies") which stands for Bacon, Eggs, Butter, Beef, Ice Cream, Intermittent Fasting, Salt (Dr. Kiltz has a "carnivore ice cream" recipe). Then there is the Lion Diet, which is limited to ruminant animals only (no chicken, pork, or seafood).

4 hours ago, pompado said:

I have one exception and hope is not interfering too much - one cup of coffee each morning - one raw egg, one spun butter and one cup of coffee.

A lot of carnivore's still enjoy a cup of coffee. The raw egg and butter is still carnivore so you are okay there. But if this is independent of your brunch and you're attempting intermittent fasting, the raw egg is likely breaking the fast. But it doesn't sound like you are intermittent fasting. 

All in all it sounds like you are doing great!

I do think it takes about 6 weeks for the body to get used to carnivore. Keto dieters will call this becoming "fat adapted". You'll experience the "keto flu" for the first half of that period and maybe keto breath, both of which is temporary, and for some it takes that long until your stool becomes normal again.

Weight loss could start happening within the first few days though. As soon as you have used up all your glycogen (the carbs stored in your muscles and liver) your body switches over to ketosis, burning fat for energy. This will be both the fat you consume and if needed, the fat you have stored.