• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Vegan to new carnivore - but I don't like meat

Hi everyone,

I've been a vegan and fish/seafood eater for nearly 30 years and have decided to switch to the carnivore diet due to a number of health issues. I'm into my second day on the diet, but my problem is I don't really like meat! I'm ok on eating seafood (mainly salmon) and eggs, but I can't manage more than a couple of mouthfuls of red meat.

I've felt pretty lousy over these two days: nauseous, not much energy, light headache and brain fog. I'm probably not getting enough food although I don't feel hungry.

Is all of this normal? Will I develop a taste for meat?

Many thanks for any guidance and help.

Welcome Robert. I like the name 😄

4 hours ago, Robert said:

I've felt pretty lousy over these two days: nauseous, not much energy, light headache and brain fog. I'm probably not getting enough food although I don't feel hungry.

Is all of this normal?

This could be either a case of under-eating, or you might be experiencing the keto flu. 

Salmon is a good fatty fish and eggs are fantastic. But remember that fat is your new energy source in lieu of carbs so make sure you are getting enough fat. You can do this with plenty of butter, cheese, etc. You can also make homemade mayonnaise and sauces that are rich in fats too. 

4 hours ago, Robert said:

Will I develop a taste for meat?

Yes. Keep having it, even if in small portions. The human pallet can be trained. Many of us had to acquire a taste for certain foods, whether it was veggies when we were kids, beer when we became adults, etc. You can also acquire the taste for red meat.

Don't be afraid of salt and seasonings either to make it more palatable.  

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you're hanging in there, Robert. I was in the same boat in February of last year when I started carnivore. I went from eating nearly exclusively carbs to total carnivore, and I was sure I didn't even like meat! As far as I was concerned, meat got in the way of me eating more sugar. My first few days were horrible. No energy, low mood, sugar cravings a mile wide, irritable and headachey. I didn't know that you were meant to lean on electrolytes to help you through the flu-like symptoms while your body was switching back to its default fat-burning metabolism.

Things improved dramatically by week 2, though! It was like once the drug (sugar) had left my system, everything upgraded. Haven't had any problems since then, so please stick it out and see how you feel. What got me through my first week was eggs and bacon. That's all I ate. I thought bacon was the only meat I really liked, so I leaned on that. As time goes on, it's incredible how your palate changes, though. I never thought I'd really enjoy a steak or voluntarily eat liver or beef tongue or heart, but I do now and I love them. You will definitely develop a taste for meat once your system has adapted. You could also be dealing with the fallout of oxalates, given a veggie diet, so hang in there. I'd make up some bone broth, get a good electrolyte supplement, and maybe slow cook some oxtail. It's the ultimate comfort food, moist and soft meat with plenty of fat and I think it's tasty enough to tempt even a meat sceptic. Good luck!

22 hours ago, butterfly said:

Things improved dramatically by week 2, though! It was like once the drug (sugar) had left my system, everything upgraded.

"everything upgraded" - I love that. It succinctly describes what happens to many of us. I got an upgrade, healthwise 😉

20 hours ago, Robert said:

Just over 2 weeks and everything is getting a lot better.... This way of eating is certainly worth it.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you are adjusting. It's a process, but yes it is worth it.

On 3/1/2024 at 1:04 PM, butterfly said:

I hope you're hanging in there, Robert. I was in the same boat in February of last year when I started carnivore. I went from eating nearly exclusively carbs to total carnivore, and I was sure I didn't even like meat! As far as I was concerned, meat got in the way of me eating more sugar. My first few days were horrible. No energy, low mood, sugar cravings a mile wide, irritable and headachey. I didn't know that you were meant to lean on electrolytes to help you through the flu-like symptoms while your body was switching back to its default fat-burning metabolism.

Things improved dramatically by week 2, though! It was like once the drug (sugar) had left my system, everything upgraded. Haven't had any problems since then, so please stick it out and see how you feel. What got me through my first week was eggs and bacon. That's all I ate. I thought bacon was the only meat I really liked, so I leaned on that. As time goes on, it's incredible how your palate changes, though. I never thought I'd really enjoy a steak or voluntarily eat liver or beef tongue or heart, but I do now and I love them. You will definitely develop a taste for meat once your system has adapted. You could also be dealing with the fallout of oxalates, given a veggie diet, so hang in there. I'd make up some bone broth, get a good electrolyte supplement, and maybe slow cook some oxtail. It's the ultimate comfort food, moist and soft meat with plenty of fat and I think it's tasty enough to tempt even a meat sceptic. Good luck!

I also have experienced sugar as drugs. And I broke that ball and chain. I feel less of a slave to food. I was never overweight. It was the fact that eating sugar conjured such a emotional/chemical response. Food is now fuel, not necessarily only entertainment.