• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

What to do, how to react, quips and tales of woe.

I was at a small luncheon yesterday. I brought my own food. This is my first experience at gathering of this type where I didn't cave into eating "normally." The hostess had put out fixings for sandwiches. I had assembled my double burger patty pickle & bacon sandwich, with hardboiled egg on the side.  Hostess asked me if I was sure I didn't want any bread. Yes, but that wasn't enough, she asked if it was the gluten. No. She persisted to peck. So I just blurted out that I was avoiding sugar. I feel like Baby in Dirty Dancing. "I carried a watermelon." 

She continued a bit more and I just explained that sugar gives me the blues. I did say something about alcoholics not drinking mocktails: seemed to shut her up for a bit, but she did find two more times in the afternoon to sprinkle me with sweet ridicule. It is clear my abstinence made her feel uncomfortable.

In retrospect, I regret mildly,  not spreading the carnivore good news, but I felt put on the spot and uncomfortable. I just wanted the attention  off me in the moment.  I just wanted to eat in peace and enjoy conversation that was not centered on my plate.

I have had better luck fasting during these things. I think people feel less offended if you just abstain from eating altogether rather than rejecting their food for something else. 

Have you had any digs a dinner party's?

How have you reacted?

I know there will be much more of this coming up in the cook out season ahead, this was just a little practice run. Any advice would be appreciated.  

I have been very fortunate or maybe just to intimidating to have anyone challenge me on my WOE.
If I’m at a restaurant they’ll ask me about sides to go with my steak and when I tell them none they seem surprised and say are you sure? Of course I’ll say, I just eat meat and leave it at that. At get togethers if I can’t find something suitable I’ll just fast.
We went to a financial planning seminar recently and all they had to eat was sandwiches, chips and sweets. So I just asked for water. When they said are you sure you would like to fix a plate I just said I’m sorry but I’m afraid there’s just nothing there I’m willing to eat. When ask if I had some dietary constraints I just said not really, I just eat a very specific diet called carnivore. The guy giving the seminar perked up and said his mother was doing that and that started a positive conversation that others were interested in.
Educate yourself in all you can about carnivore so that you have the confidence to defend your way of life. Be confident that you are doing what is best for your health and project that confidence. When others see that you know what you’re talking about with an air of authority then they may start asking questions to learn rather than ridicule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't usually run into this situation, such as a business luncheon, anniversary party, congregation picnic, or other social event. I will either eat ahead of time, or I am actually quite happy and comfortable dipping my toes back into keto on such occasions. I can graze from the processed meat and cheese tray as well as the vegetable tray, and people will readily understand that I am on a diet. 

I am very excited about carnivore though, and am happy to get preachy about it when given the opportunity, so I probably would have started educating her and she would be wishing I would shut up soon so she could walk away, lol.

This video came up in my suggestions on Sunday.  I have started repeating the phrase to my self, "I have learned that when I eat that, I don't feel well at all"

She gives some good advice but I’ve just never understood peer pressure because I’ve never been affected by it. I’ve never even followed a fad.
I’ve always been a very strong willed person who follows my own path.
I try to learn as much as I can about carnivore and nutrition as it applies to carnivores so that I have the confidence to speak with authority and answer any questions that come my way and to defend my position if necessary. It’s very easy to tell the server all I want in my plate is the meat and nothing else.
When told by someone that they feel sorry for me because I can eat something that they themselves love I just tell them that it’s not that I can’t, it’s that I choose not to eat that item because I only desire nutritious foods. Everything else is just manure to me. Well don’t you miss it they may say and my response might be yeah, I miss it about as much as I miss the last time I had food poisoning or my last motorcycle wreck.

@Geezy My aunt, (the perpetrator) in this incident, has hen pecked me about one thing or another, my whole life. So I guess I should've been more mentally prepared. I hadn't been at her house since well before the pandemic. To give you an idea as to her personality, she told my mom and dad in 2021, they wouldn't be allowed in her house without the jab. 

[mention=79]Geezy[/mention] My aunt, (the perpetrator) in this incident, has hen pecked me about one thing or another, my whole life. So I guess I should've been more mentally prepared. I hadn't been at her house since well before the pandemic. To give you an idea as to her personality, she told my mom and dad in 2021, they wouldn't be allowed in her house without the jab. 

Oh my goodness. Family can be the worst. They will say and do things to each that they would never do to a stranger. They just feel to comfortable with each other and manners seem to be set aside.
My father in law is no where near polite about anything. He has no off switch and I’ll be honest we’ve almost come to blows on more than one occasion but over the years he has backed off from engaging me in anything that might be controversial because he has learned that if he does, he is going to have to defend his position against mine and he usually can only spout what he thinks and believes whereas I can come at him with facts, figures and actual data to prove my point. Debate and defend with knowledge not with feelings. It works every time.
I get it though, sometimes it’s just best to avoid the confrontation all together but I wouldn’t do it at the expense of my health.
Like I said, sometimes family can be the worst.
Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

When it comes to socializing whether friends, family or work environments diet can be a bump if not a sink hole like religion and politics.

I hate how you either drink or you don't to a doctor, there is nothing in between. If you meet for cocktails I am having a cocktail. Same goes for a party or other gathering of celebration where everyone is drinking. I will have a drink of something. It does not have to be alcoholic. And I am not going to put a spotlight on that detail. It is not the appropriate moment to make a stand. It can derail the perceived opportunity rather than promote your thing favorably.

Family can feel there are no boundaries except honoring the long established dynamic. That  was very one sided in my family. My parents especially my father could violate every "rule" including my personal privacy. Over the years I lost a lot of respect for my father observing his approach to boundaries and how he acted when it was just the family and when others outside were present. 

Edited by Another Meat Head