• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Would love your help!

Hi 🙂
basic info:

- started Carnivore two weeks ago.

- I am 24yo slim, 1.74 cm, and weighed 62.5kg when I started, my body fat percentage is low.

- In the first week, it was hard to adapt, I was eating 650g~ a day, now I source much better and tastier meat and manage to eat more.

- I currently eat each day 2-4 eggs each and about 900g of ground beef 70/30 beef-to-fat ratio, pink Himalayan salt, and water. the ground beef is mostly Chuck/ribs and the fat comes from beef trimmings. I cook the ground beef as beef paddies and drink all the juices and fat.

A few general questions if you don't mind:

1. since I started I lost weight, almost 2 kg, now 60.9kg, I thought I would gain weight with all this good fat and protein, it is at least 2900 calories a day, Is this normal? will I gain weight? am I doing something wrong?

2. Although I eat all this fat and drink a lot of water my Toilet exits are not normal, some are very small and watery and sometimes really dense and hard, I can have a day without going to the bathroom and the next day go 3 times. is this normal? do I just need more time to adjust? am I not eating right?

3. If I decide to add a bit of fruit after a month of experiment, which can I add? I miss avocado as part of my meal and a bit of fruit for dessert.

4. Is there a substitute for soy source for sashimi? I really miss it.

5. what about sushi in general? And is there a kind of rice for sushi that I can make once in a while that won't be bad for me? if not, is raw salmon + avocado inside sushi nori without rice okay once a month or two?

6. After how much time should I expect a difference in sleep apnea and snoring? I saw people saying after 5 days it was gone, well not for me... although I'm skinny and young I still have this problem. am I not eating right? maybe not sleeping in the right posture or with the right pillow, do you have recommendations?

Would really appreciate it if some of you could take the time to answer, thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Matan1262 said:

1. since I started I lost weight, almost 2 kg, now 60.9kg, I thought I would gain weight with all this good fat and protein, it is at least 2900 calories a day, Is this normal? will I gain weight? am I doing something wrong?

That's probably water-weight. Since you stopped eating carbohydrates (see the word "hydrate" in there?) and sugars, which hold water, you have used up all your glycogen stores. You probably haven't lost actual fat yet, and if you have, it is minimal. 

When you say you thought you would gain weight, are you referring to muscle weight or fat weight? If you want to gain muscle weight, keep eating this way and work out by lifting heavy weights. If you want to gain fat fluffy weight, then start eating more carbs.

2. Although I eat all this fat and drink a lot of water my Toilet exits are not normal, some are very small and watery and sometimes really dense and hard, I can have a day without going to the bathroom and the next day go 3 times. is this normal? do I just need more time to adjust? am I not eating right?

It is normal during the transition phase and yes, you probably need more time to adjust. It took me 6 weeks before I had a normal stool again. It would oscillate between the consistency of gravel that was difficult to push out and then the next time it would pour out like turning on a faucet. 

Now that I am adapted, it's usually normal. I only go to the bathroom twice a week now. 

Part of this transition phase is that your body is learning how much bile it needs to store in your gall bladder, which is necessary to digest fat. After a while, your body learns how much bile it's needs to have on hand. Then, if your stool are hard, you can add more fat, and if they are loose, you can back off the fat.

3. If I decide to add a bit of fruit after a month of experiment, which can I add? I miss avocado as part of my meal and a bit of fruit for dessert.

It sounds like you are metabolically healthy, so you can add whatever fruit you wish. Lower carb, low glycemic fruits that are tolerated on a ketogenic diet are usually a small portion of berries.

Again, this depends on your metabolic health and your goals. For example, if you have a lot of weight to lose, are insulin resistant, have metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes, etc, then you want to keep that carb consumption very low, typically under 20g per day, and the lower the better. But if you are metabolically healthy then you could do low carb, which is under 100g per day.

Low carb <100g actual carbs per day
Keto <20g actual carbs per day
Ketovore <10 actual carbs per day
Carnivore = animal products only, minimal carbs per day.

4. Is there a substitute for soy source for sashimi? I really miss it.

I had to look up sashimi and it looks like this means raw fish. Raw fish would be fine.

Soy sauce has like 1 carb per tablespoon, so this might be just fine for you in small quantities. It's doesn't have the cleanest of ingredients though, so you might want to do a web search for a keto-friendly soy sauce recipe substitute.

There are also keto soy sauce substitutes that you can order from Amazon or Whole Foods Market.

5. what about sushi in general? And is there a kind of rice for sushi that I can make once in a while that won't be bad for me? if not, is raw salmon + avocado inside sushi nori without rice okay once a month or two?

I think any of it would be okay if you are only eating it once a month or two. But yes, you could remove the rice and the rest would be fine.

6. After how much time should I expect a difference in sleep apnea and snoring?

This I can't answer. There could be a number of reasons that you have sleep apnea and snore. For example, enlarged tonsils or other glands in the face and sinuses. My daughter would snore and stop breathing at night. It was very disturbing and so we brought it up with her doctor. Turns out she had enlarged "kissing" tonsils and had to have them removed.

Whether your sleep apnea will resolve with diet is yet to be seen. Just not that while some people experience improvements within days of starting keto-carnivore, most people see these improvements over time. That is why it is recommended to be faithful to your dietary changes for at least 30 days, but preferably at least 90 days.

I pretty much echo what Bob has stated but I would like to add this.
Soy in any form is not healthy. First off it comes from the soy bean which is a seed and all seeds are terrible for you. If you are young and healthy they may not affect you as much as they might me but that doesn’t change the fact that we shouldn’t be eating them and soy in particular. Soy can affect the male hormones lowering testosterone and feminizing men. I personally will not eat anything that has any kind of soy in it.
Sashimi, boy how I do love it. I fish for yellowfin tuna and when I’m cutting it up I’ll trim some off of the fish and eat it fresh. I used to have a bowl of Ponzi sauce that I would dip it in but now that I’m carnivore I won’t do that. Now it I want to dip it in anything it’s just melted butter.

Everyone takes carnivore to the level that fits themselves and that’s fine as long as it doesn’t affect your health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/5/2023 at 6:47 PM, Bob said:

That's probably water-weight. Since you stopped eating carbohydrates (see the word "hydrate" in there?) and sugars, which hold water, you have used up all your glycogen stores. You probably haven't lost actual fat yet, and if you have, it is minimal. 

When you say you thought you would gain weight, are you referring to muscle weight or fat weight? If you want to gain muscle weight, keep eating this way and work out by lifting heavy weights. If you want to gain fat fluffy weight, then start eating more carbs.

It is normal during the transition phase and yes, you probably need more time to adjust. It took me 6 weeks before I had a normal stool again. It would oscillate between the consistency of gravel that was difficult to push out and then the next time it would pour out like turning on a faucet. 

Now that I am adapted, it's usually normal. I only go to the bathroom twice a week now. 

Part of this transition phase is that your body is learning how much bile it needs to store in your gall bladder, which is necessary to digest fat. After a while, your body learns how much bile it's needs to have on hand. Then, if your stool are hard, you can add more fat, and if they are loose, you can back off the fat.

It sounds like you are metabolically healthy, so you can add whatever fruit you wish. Lower carb, low glycemic fruits that are tolerated on a ketogenic diet are usually a small portion of berries.

Again, this depends on your metabolic health and your goals. For example, if you have a lot of weight to lose, are insulin resistant, have metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes, etc, then you want to keep that carb consumption very low, typically under 20g per day, and the lower the better. But if you are metabolically healthy then you could do low carb, which is under 100g per day.

Low carb <100g actual carbs per day
Keto <20g actual carbs per day
Ketovore <10 actual carbs per day
Carnivore = animal products only, minimal carbs per day.

I had to look up sashimi and it looks like this means raw fish. Raw fish would be fine.

Soy sauce has like 1 carb per tablespoon, so this might be just fine for you in small quantities. It's doesn't have the cleanest of ingredients though, so you might want to do a web search for a keto-friendly soy sauce recipe substitute.

There are also keto soy sauce substitutes that you can order from Amazon or Whole Foods Market.

I think any of it would be okay if you are only eating it once a month or two. But yes, you could remove the rice and the rest would be fine.

This I can't answer. There could be a number of reasons that you have sleep apnea and snore. For example, enlarged tonsils or other glands in the face and sinuses. My daughter would snore and stop breathing at night. It was very disturbing and so we brought it up with her doctor. Turns out she had enlarged "kissing" tonsils and had to have them removed.

Whether your sleep apnea will resolve with diet is yet to be seen. Just not that while some people experience improvements within days of starting keto-carnivore, most people see these improvements over time. That is why it is recommended to be faithful to your dietary changes for at least 30 days, but preferably at least 90 days.

Thabk you so much for the detailed response 

On 11/6/2023 at 7:03 AM, Geezy said:

I pretty much echo what Bob has stated but I would like to add this.
Soy in any form is not healthy. First off it comes from the soy bean which is a seed and all seeds are terrible for you. If you are young and healthy they may not affect you as much as they might me but that doesn’t change the fact that we shouldn’t be eating them and soy in particular. Soy can affect the male hormones lowering testosterone and feminizing men. I personally will not eat anything that has any kind of soy in it.
Sashimi, boy how I do love it. I fish for yellowfin tuna and when I’m cutting it up I’ll trim some off of the fish and eat it fresh. I used to have a bowl of Ponzi sauce that I would dip it in but now that I’m carnivore I won’t do that. Now it I want to dip it in anything it’s just melted butter.

Everyone takes carnivore to the level that fits themselves and that’s fine as long as it doesn’t affect your health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks🙏