• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

I have not eaten any carbs since about a week ago, how could my ketosis value decrease?

I have been decreasing my carb intake for about 3 weeks and I stopped eating any carbs at all (just beef and salt) one week ago. On that day one week ago I measured my ketones level and I was at 0.7 mmol. I also measured today one week later of just eating the beef and zero carbs after I woke up in the morning and I now got a value of just 0.1 mmol ketones in my blood? How is this possible when I have had zero carbs since the last measurement? Should my ketones not naturally just rise or stay at the same? At this level I am not even in ketosis? And from what I understand I need ketones as that is my "fuel" now when having zero carbs?

I wonder if one culprit could be the amount of protein I get from just the beef? I eat 1.4kg daily and that is 370g protein (215g fat). I need to eat this amount of meat to keep my weight.

By definition, if they’re being metabolized they are not in your bloodstream and can’t be measured. One of the issues around measuring ketones is the usually false expectation that ketones ‘should be’ some fixed amount or something is wrong. Most people don’t measure frequently enough to see just how dynamic the system really is, and how much ketone concentrations vary over relatively short time spans. So-called ‘fat adaptation’ trends towards matching ketone sythesis with metabolic demand for ketones. This can result in low(er) blood numbers since not all that much is just floating around not doing much of anything.
It is my understanding that ketones in your urine (if that’s how your measuring them) are just the ones that are not needed and so are expelled.
Also, are you measuring the same time and under the same circumstance each time ie after eating or fasting?
Me personally? I try not to overthink it.
I never count anything. Ketones, calories, micros or amount of food. I just eat good fatty meat and let my body work things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

By definition, if they’re being metabolized they are not in your bloodstream and can’t be measured. One of the issues around measuring ketones is the usually false expectation that ketones ‘should be’ some fixed amount or something is wrong. Most people don’t measure frequently enough to see just how dynamic the system really is, and how much ketone concentrations vary over relatively short time spans. So-called ‘fat adaptation’ trends towards matching ketone sythesis with metabolic demand for ketones. This can result in low(er) blood numbers since not all that much is just floating around not doing much of anything.
It is my understanding that ketones in your urine (if that’s how your measuring them) are just the ones that are not needed and so are expelled.
Also, are you measuring the same time and under the same circumstance each time ie after eating or fasting?
Me personally? I try not to overthink it.
I never count anything. Ketones, calories, micros or amount of food. I just eat good fatty meat and let my body work things out.

Thank you for the answer. I actually measure my ketones in the blood. I have tried first time in the morning and also after meal but still had the same of 0.1 mmol now.

I still don’t think it’s anything to concern yourself with. It’s normal for your ketones to fluctuate from what I’ve read. I’m far from being any kind of expert.
I’ve never measured mine because it just doesn’t matter. I’m going to eat carnivore and my body will do what it’s supposed to do.
I know some people who love to track all their numbers, it’s just their thing and that’s fine, I get a kick out of tracking my weight but try not to overthink it.
I believe you’ll be fine.
KCCO

On 12/20/2023 at 10:30 AM, premious said:

I also measured today one week later of just eating the beef and zero carbs after I woke up in the morning and I now got a value of just 0.1 mmol ketones in my blood?

Ketone levels can fluctuate. This could be due to fasting, exercise, sleep patterns, stress levels, etc. There isn’t really any benefit to higher ketone levels. Whether you are getting low readings or high readings, it shows we are burning fat for fuel.

I don't think I would measure after eating a meal. Your insulin goes up, and you may convert some of that protein to glucose. There is something called the 'dawn phenomenon' which is when your blood sugar levels are running high when you wake up in the morning. So if you test shortly after waking for the day you might get disappointing results.

I would try waiting for 2+ hours after waking up and before having a meal to see if it makes a difference.