• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hi all, I'm new to the animal-based diets, but I've started 2024 with it and want to continue. I do have some questions though, to get some advice from the community.

1) Do you have to do a lot of workouts on carnivore diet, or is it OK to do when you don't work out a ton?

2) When you're new to the diet, what things should you watch out for to know if the diet is working well for you or causing issues?

3) What is the best way to get the calorie count up? My calorie count has been really low but I've been full when I eat. Does the calorie count matter if you're full at your meals?

Thanks for the help and advice!

Edited by Ryan

Welcome to our community, and welcome to healthy nutritious eating 🙂

8 minutes ago, Ryan said:

1) Do you have to do a lot of workouts on carnivore diet, or is it OK to do when you don't work out a ton?

No. I am not much of an exercise person. In fact, I was in the middle of keto when I broke my ankle, and on that very day I decided to start carnivore. I was sedentary for the next 2 months and still dropped 10 more pounds. It wasn't water weight either, because I had already been losing weight when I made the transition.

If you are a very large person, it is even recommended to wait until you have lost some weight before starting any vigorous exercise routine so you don't injure yourself. 

22 minutes ago, Ryan said:

2) When you're new to the diet, what things should you watch out for to know if the diet is working well for you or causing issues?

We would anticipate that you will lose weight if you are overweight. If you experience inflammation and pain related to such, this should start to go down as well. If you suffer from auto-immune or chronic conditions these may also go away over time (not immediately, per se). 

Issues you might face are the "keto flu" which is a run down feeling while your body transitions from being a glucose burner to a fat burner. Some people experience oxylate dumping. I'm personally not too familiar with it myself. 

If you have issues with certain meats or eggs, there is usually a reason and a workaround. 

29 minutes ago, Ryan said:

What is the best way to get the calorie count up? My calorie count has been really low but I've been full when I eat. Does the calorie count matter if you're full at your meals?

Butter, lol.

This is somewhat different for each person. Calorie restricting and portion control can cause your body's metabolism to go down. Our advice to the beginner is to eat 3 meals a day with no snacking in-between, and to eat until you are full and comfortably satisfied but not stuffed to the point of agony.

Some of us, in time, take advantage of that feeling of not being hungry and start intermittent fasting, eating only 2 meals a day instead of 3. 

I personally eat about 2000 calories or so a day, split between 2 meals.

We're here to help. Hope this was informative, even it was brief.

I can’t really add anything to what Bob said other than just keep it simple. Don’t overthink this way of eating. It’s really easy and freeing. Just eat fat, meat, salt and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk