• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Complete Beginner

Hi there, just starting out on the carnivore way of eating with my husband. Our motivation is to improve health after a life-time of eating ‘normally’ and living with various health issues. No-one we know is carnivore so I’m looking for like-minded folk to help us keep going when the carbs start calling.🥴

Welcome aboard @Sue 🙂

We're here to help, and we hope you see the results you are looking for. Many of us are invested in this way of eating because it's done very good for us and our [previous] health conditions.

2 hours ago, Sue said:

Thanks for the encouragement. It’s a big change. Wondering what to grow in my raised veggie beds now.  Obviously not potatoes! 😂

I have the same predicament. Probably herbs, and some keto friendly vegetables. 

6 hours ago, Sue said:

Thanks for the encouragement. It’s a big change. Wondering what to grow in my raised veggie beds now.  Obviously not potatoes! 😂

4 hours ago, Orweller said:

I have the same predicament. Probably herbs, and some keto friendly vegetables. 

This is probably what I would do. Herbs & spices, and some low carb veggies that I would be willing to eat since I grew it myself and it would be only available seasonally.

I have an apple tree in my backyard that I picked from in August. I'll do it again next August too 🙂

Thanks for the encouragement. It’s a big change. Wondering what to grow in my raised veggie beds now.  Obviously not potatoes! 

I had a fairly large raised bed garden and I was conflicted as to what I would do after becoming carnivore. Since I give away much of the produce left over from what I couldn’t consume I considered just giving away all I produce next year but the more I thought about it the less desirable it became. So I dismantled my garden and I’m just going to quit Al together.
I still have some canned vegetables left from last year that I still need to give away.
I have several neighbors that I make jujube butter for from my tree but I just don’t have the desire to make it anymore even though I’ve got three gallons of jujube’s in the freezer from last year’s harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are keto friendly vegetables? I’ve read so many articles and watched lots of videos. I think I read that vegetables that grow above ground are all right to eat? I heard Jordan Peterson say he eats meat and greens. 

Yes, anything above ground will be overall safer to eat. What I do is, small amounts, approach any carb with care. Then you can still add some veggies in. For example, I ate carrots, but only 1 ounce. This is with regard to carbs, but also insulin response. 

18 hours ago, Sue said:

What are keto friendly vegetables? 

Those very low in carbohydrates. Things like lettuce, spinach (unless you are concerned about oxalate), asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, broccolini, etc. You can stretch it a bit with some tomatoes. But no starches such as potatoes.

Some people are sensitive to the plant defense chemicals (toxins) in vegetables, so you have to start with an elimination diet of just animal products for at least 30 days, preferably 60 or 90, and then add these back in one at a time to see how you react. Most people can tolerate them though, especially if you only eat them seasonally around harvest time. 

What you eat and what version of a carnivore diet you want to adhere to is a very individual thing.