• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hi, I am new to carnivore

Hello, I am Roland 41y old, and I am from the Netherlands.

I just started to do the carnivore diet, after hearing it few years ago (Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson)

Many years i have digestion problem, mostly with my gut. Bloated, unable to go to the toilet.

About 6 months ago i had c19 it got much worse.

My weight never has been a problem, but i dont eat much, about 1500kcal.

Few years ago Ive discovered i had bone lose.

So my goal is to get a better digestion, and maybe increase my bonemass. (end of this year there is a dexa scan planned)

I hope i can stick to the diet, the first 2 days where hard, painful stomach/liver/gallbladder. It seems to get little bit better now.

11 hours ago, SuperCow said:

I hope i can stick to the diet, the first 2 days where hard, painful stomach/liver/gallbladder. It seems to get little bit better now.

Welcome Roland!

If you were not previously eating a lot of fatty meat and eggs, then there will be an adaptation phase. Your gut microbiome will adjust to your new diet, your liver and gall bladder will ramp up bile production, and more. You may feel fatigue from the "keto flu" as you deplete your carb stores and switch to burning ketones for energy instead, but once you've adapted you should feel great.

11 hours ago, SuperCow said:

i dont eat much, about 1500kcal.

That sounds a bit low but I don't know your height and weight. It could be fine though. The protein heavy lifestyle should help with the bones. 

We're here for you. Let's do this 🙂

12 hours ago, Bob said:

Welcome Roland!

Hi Bob, thanks for the welcome
Ive tried to find Dutch forums, but i couldn't find one, so i hope i am welcome here.

12 hours ago, Bob said:

If you were not previously eating a lot of fatty meat and eggs, then there will be an adaptation phase. Your gut microbiome will adjust to your new diet, your liver and gall bladder will ramp up bile production, and more. You may feel fatigue from the "keto flu" as you deplete your carb stores and switch to burning ketones for energy instead, but once you've adapted you should feel great.

Yes i would imagine that, i always had some trouble with fat. Is seems to get better now, only thing i notice now that I'm very thirsty, having  dry mouth and throat, that could be be the the "keto flu"?

12 hours ago, Bob said:

That sounds a bit low but I don't know your height and weight. It could be fine though. The protein heavy lifestyle should help with the bones. 

I am 68kg (150lbs) and 183cm (6 feet) height. My extensive blood work etc was fine, so it wasn't a slow working thyroid

2 hours ago, SuperCow said:

i notice now that I'm very thirsty, having  dry mouth and throat

It's easier to get dehydrated in this way of eating, and this is because you aren't eating any carbohydrates. <-- notice how "hydrate" is part of the word. This is why you notice a rapid drop on the scale when starting out, because you lose a lot of retained water weight at first.

Drink when you're thirsty. Some of us add electrolytes to our water as well. 

5 hours ago, Bob said:

It's easier to get dehydrated in this way of eating, and this is because you aren't eating any carbohydrates. <-- notice how "hydrate" is part of the word.

That makes sense. I don't have often thirsty feeling, i probably drink to less, before carnivore I only drank maybe quarter of a gallon of water + some tea.
Now i can drink a gallon of water lol.

For electrolytes, can I use good quality salt(redmond?), or something with; Sodium chloride, potassium sulfate, dicalcium phosphate, magnesium oxide.? i can order this with out any order additives.

On 1/16/2024 at 8:26 AM, SuperCow said:

Hello, I am Roland 41y old, and I am from the Netherlands.

I just started to do the carnivore diet, after hearing it few years ago (Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson)

Many years i have digestion problem, mostly with my gut. Bloated, unable to go to the toilet.

About 6 months ago i had c19 it got much worse.

My weight never has been a problem, but i dont eat much, about 1500kcal.

So my goal is to get a better digestion, and maybe increase my bonemass. (end of this year there is a dexa scan planned)

Hey there, fellow Dutch person here. I've been living in the US for about 23 years now. Good luck on your journey.

Niet opgeven hoor! Veel vragen stellen!

Have you had bloodwork done? 

On 1/17/2024 at 8:42 AM, SuperCow said:

Hi Bob, thanks for the welcome
Ive tried to find Dutch forums, but i couldn't find one, so i hope i am welcome here.

Yes i would imagine that, i always had some trouble with fat. Is seems to get better now, only thing i notice now that I'm very thirsty, having  dry mouth and throat, that could be be the the "keto flu"?

I am 68kg (150lbs) and 183cm (6 feet) height. My extensive blood work etc was fine, so it wasn't a slow working thyroid

Yes you are welcome here! If they can deal with me, they can deal with anyone! 

You're going to have an adaptation phase. Supplements are key in this period. I take Vitamin K, Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fish Oil. 

Also, bone density issue, see what calcium needs you have, in food or supplements. This will require some research as we are all different. 

On 1/16/2024 at 7:45 PM, Bob said:

Welcome Roland!

I think "calorie count" should be at least 1800 to be honest. 

18 hours ago, SuperCow said:

For electrolytes, can I use good quality salt(redmond?), or something with; Sodium chloride, potassium sulfate, dicalcium phosphate, magnesium oxide.? i can order this with out any order additives.

Yes, Redmond's or Pink Himlayan salt can be used as it suits your fancy. Salt to taste. Sodium, Chloride, Potassium, and Magnesium are the ones you might need. Or you might not. If you have normal healthy kidneys, you can supplement and you will just pee out the excess. But someone like me who has kidney disease has to be careful. I still magnesium, but I tend to retain potassium, so I supplement with magnesium regularly or else I get nasty muscle cramps, but I very very rarely take potassium.

We have a popular drink mix over here called LMNT (and another one is ReLyte) but I don't think you will get that overseas.

1 hour ago, Orweller said:

Hey there, fellow Dutch person here. I've been living in the US for about 23 years now. Good luck on your journey.

Niet opgeven hoor! Veel vragen stellen!

Have you had bloodwork done? 

AH thats cool, Dank dat zal ik doen.
Last December i had some bloodwork done, LDL, HDL, Triglyceriden, KREATININE (and many more) etc. All where in normal range.

1 hour ago, Orweller said:

You're going to have an adaptation phase. Supplements are key in this period. I take Vitamin K, Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fish Oil. 

Also, bone density issue, see what calcium needs you have, in food or supplements. This will require some research as we are all different. 

I already take a few years C, D3, K2 mk7, and a good multivitamin (ADAM Men's Multi Now Foods)
My boneloss is that i have a issue with hormones.

47 minutes ago, Bob said:

We have a popular drink mix over here called LMNT (and another one is ReLyte) but I don't think you will get that overseas.

I think i can get something comparable here in the Netherlands, https://www.bulk.com/eu/electrolyte-powder.html (the natrual one)

But i am having a real hard time now, i got the flu (the real one) sore throat, coughing, stuffy nose and  back pain (kidneys?) salty taste in my mouth, and overall i dont feel well. i think I am going to skip dinner, and see tomorrow how i feel.

Ive measured my bloodpressure and that is normal 112/71

Edited by SuperCow

I think i can get something comparable here in the Netherlands, https://www.bulk.com/eu/electrolyte-powder.html (the natrual one)

All the ingredients look okay, but know that magnesium oxide is not very bio-available. You will absorb about 4% of it. Try to find one with magnesium malate, citrate, glycinate, or taurate if you can.

i got the flu (the real one)

Hope it doesn't have you down for long. Hang in there.

The back pain might just be muscle aches. The flu can do that (as can covid). 

My flu is away 😅
2 things i have noticed doing full carnivore for only 5 days.
I have now about 3 years tinnitus not from hearing damage (my hearing is checked 3 years ago it was perfect score of a 18y old) and its 24/7 present
In day 2 or 3 into carnivore my tinnitus went much down in intensity..like alot, now i'm on my normal diet, and in 1 day its back in full force.
I almost always have bleeding gum when brushing my teeth (4 out of 7 days) well you guessed it my gums felt great in those few days no bleeding. Now its back with a vengeance.

So i want to start doing carnivore soon again, but maybe going little more gentle, allowing some carbs.

Edited by SuperCow

1 hour ago, SuperCow said:

My flu is away 😅
2 things i have noticed doing full carnivore for only 5 days.
I have now about 3 years tinnitus not from hearing damage (my hearing is checked 3 years ago it was perfect score of a 18y old) and its 24/7 present
In day 2 or 3 into carnivore my tinnitus went much down in intensity..like alot, now i'm on my normal diet, and in 1 day its back in full force.
I almost always have bleeding gum when brushing my teeth (4 out of 7 days) well you guessed it my gums felt great in those few days no bleeding. Now its back with a vengeance.

So i want to start doing carnivore soon again, but maybe going little more gentle, allowing some carbs.

Go carnivore for a couple of weeks, slowly reduce carbs prior to that.

Once you're there slowly introduce new foods and focus remaining at least in ketosis. Use it as an elimination diet of sorts. I eat avocados, or pickles, carrots, in very small amounts, even almonds now. Dirty carnivore is an option, or "ketovore" and if that isn't desirable, there is still going just keto. Start it back again as if you have all those options so you don't feel trapped either. Can you imagine the benefits you felt in just a week, what it may do for you over a prolonged period of time. We're not striving for perfection here. No diet is truly perfect. 

Edited by Orweller

7 hours ago, SuperCow said:

I think this is a good idea, going full carnivore straight away is too much of a sudden change for some people.

I went keto at the end of 2019 and did really well for about 3 months and mostly felt great, then C19 sent everything into chaos and I wasn't able to continue, but remembered how good I felt.

This time I started slowly, first I eliminated sugar and started using Stevia and Erythritol as a replacement. Next I went gluten free, then I eliminated all grains, then I stopped using seed and vegetable oils, and now I do mostly carnivore during the week and ketovore on the weekends by adding a few low carb vegetables and berries.  

You have to experiment and find out what works best for you, listen to your own body and take things one day at a time. If you make a mistake, that's fine, just keep going from where you left off.

18 hours ago, SuperCow said:

And of course, this is just fine. Probably especially so since you are slender already.

I started with low carb, then went to dirty keto (still using "keto" bread, bars, wraps, etc), and then went to clean keto (no grains, sugars, or starches, just meat and veggies) and then finally carnivore. So I too had to transition into it over the course of a couple months.

Today, I call myself "mostly carnivore" or "97% carnivore" because most days I am, but every once in awhile I still have a side veggie or piece of fruit, somewhere between occasionally and seldom ever, lol. At this point in my journey and education, I am wary of certain plants or plant parts, but not of others.

But I have vowed never to touch grains or refined sugar ever again. I try to avoid seed oils, and only have to put up with them on the rare occasion that I dine out.