• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Question about vitamin supplements / effect of the diet on emotions

Guest VK255

Guest VK255

Hi there, first of all thanks for this awesome forum, I've found a lot of great information here, and it's awesome there're people helping all the time. However I'd like to ask two things which I couldn't quite find too much information on, first of them being vitamin supplements. I understand the general consensus is that they are not necessary, but is there any potential drawback/harm in using them? I am using a multivitamin which contains just about everything (vitamins A, C, E, all sorts of Bs, magnesium etc.), and I'd like to continue using them at least when starting with this diet, for a peace of mind if nothing else. Would there be any issue with this, other than being potentially useless?

My another question may sound a bit odd, but what effect does this diet have on emotions? I've read quite a lot people's experiences of this diet helping them with anxiety or depressions, but does it affect how "emotional" a person is generally? I mean both for positive and negative emotions, just one's ability to have feelings overall, if that makes any sense. Thanks a lot in advance

1 hour ago, Guest VK255 said:

I am using a multivitamin which contains just about everything (vitamins A, C, E, all sorts of Bs, magnesium etc.), and I'd like to continue using them at least when starting with this diet, for a peace of mind if nothing else. Would there be any issue with this, other than being potentially useless?

You will probably be fine. Most vitamins are water-soluble, and therefore are excreted through the urine. This would include vitamin C and most of your B vitamins. Now MEGA DOSES of certain vitamins could cause damage, but I doubt your multivitamin is delivering a mega dose of anything.

Fat-soluble vitamins, on the other hand, aren't excreted and are stored in your tissues. These would be vitamin A, D, E, and K which can accumulate in your body. K seems to be harmless, but too much A & D can lead to toxicity and too much E can interfere with your bloods ability to clot.

But again, the dose in your multivitamin is probably low. It's just a "supplement". And yes, it is generally a waste of money as you can get everything your body needs with a proper human diet.

1 hour ago, Guest VK255 said:

My another question may sound a bit odd, but what effect does this diet have on emotions? I've read quite a lot people's experiences of this diet helping them with anxiety or depressions, but does it affect how "emotional" a person is generally? I mean both for positive and negative emotions, just one's ability to have feelings overall, if that makes any sense.

From personal experience, not having any anxiety or depression anymore, coupled with my overall improvement in health and my stellar weight loss, I can say I am a much happier and confident person than I used to be.

If you take anxiety or depression meds, it's not likely going to be wise to stop them cold turkey or you will have disastrous withdrawal symptoms. Certain medications can be stopped abruptly, whereas others need to be weaned off of over the course of several weeks or months.

Hope this helps!

About mental health and diet. Yes, these have a strong correlation. Refined sugar intake can impact mental health, it even impedes with brain function. Add the chemical responses, dopamine, etc. In some cases diet may even be the cause of mental health symptoms.