• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Type 2 ...19 years.  Started carnivore 7 weeks ago....Have been off insulin for 5 weeks...also stopped Glipizide 5 mgs as well.....Am now on 1000 mgs of Metformin...prior to the last couple weeks Blood sugars were doing great...Now starting to creep up to 145 Fasting ...Levels slowly go back to 105 around bedtime...Strict carnivore..NO CARBS....Thinking adaptive glucose sparing..?

12 hours ago, MG426 said:

Strict carnivore..NO CARBS....Thinking adaptive glucose sparing..?

Possibly. Adaptive glucose sparing is when your muscles become resistant to glucose and instead prefer triglycerides so that the glucose in your system will be spared for the brain, which needs it more. This is actually a good thing.  

Where are the blood sugars coming from? Gluconeogenesis - your body is converting protein into glucose. This is a natural process. Until you become fat adapted, this process will keep taking place because your cells prefer sugar. So what many people do is keep their protein intake moderate and their fat intake high so that they can become fat adapted faster (fat adapted is when your body now has a preference for fat for energy over that of carbohydrates). 

Those high readings indicate that you are still diabetic and/or have insulin resistance. You're only 7 weeks in. I would keep doing what you are doing. 

Thank you for the response...I feel amazing..Loads of energy...I am 66 years old...I am eating OMAD at this time......I have lost an amazing...20 + pounds in a very short time...I dont get hungry doing OMAD...Sleeping better too....just wondering what is going on..? In addition my Blood pressure has gotten 100 % better..down to 122 over 60...Drs have me on metoprolol..and diuretics...Plus valsarten...Used to run 165 over 80...I am exercising every day..Mostly walking..Lifting dumbells..wall pushups ..squats...2 + minute planks...I am feeling stronger over all.....I will continue to eat carnivore...And exercise...Thanks again.....On another note...I was a train wreck prior to starting carnivore....I was On treshiba  12 units...Metformin..and glipizide....And getting A1Cs in the 6.5 range.....I have all the Markers of Metabolic disease.....I want to get as healthy as I can be...The last couple years I felt like I was circling the drain so to speak..Now i feel so much better its unreal...Thanks again..mark G.

I’m not diabetic but my last blood test showed that my numbers had gone up since my last test six months earlier. In my case it was because I’m OMAD and had fasted too long before the blood draw. I’ll be getting another blood draw in six months and I’ll fast inside the proper window.
I was on Metoprolol but my cardiologist had to take me off of it because carnivore had brought my BP down to normal levels naturally but the Metoprolol was bringing it down too low artificially. I was at 79/58. Not cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been as low as 109/55........going to keep a close eye on things...Go back to the dr in a couple months.....I have a bad case of White coat phobia....So my BP has always been rather high at my drs.....the main thing is that my Diabetes is going in the right direction ..along with my BP...And I feel so much better...Its unbelievable...!

I have been as low as 109/55........going to keep a close eye on things...Go back to the dr in a couple months.....I have a bad case of White coat phobia....So my BP has always been rather high at my drs.....the main thing is that my Diabetes is going in the right direction ..along with my BP...And I feel so much better...Its unbelievable...!

You are definitely on the right track and I’m happy for you. I love hearing about the healing this WOE brings to us.
Be careful with your BP if you start getting dizzy for no reason or when you straighten up after bending over. It’ll sure sneak up on you.
Do you have a BP cuff at home so you can keep track of it?

I have 2 cuffs at home....They are withuin a couple MMs of each other,,I had one of them verified at my Drs office....I am very happy about the results so far,,..I have never been this low in my life..so I am checking every day..I may begin decreasing my meds if it goes any lower...This is all so new to me..However I feel great..Have lots of energy....Its a good feeling..!

I have 2 cuffs at home....They are withuin a couple MMs of each other,,I had one of them verified at my Drs office....I am very happy about the results so far,,..I have never been this low in my life..so I am checking every day..I may begin decreasing my meds if it goes any lower...This is all so new to me..However I feel great..Have lots of energy....Its a good feeling..!

I’ve read that when reducing meds like Metropol and Flecinide, those are my heart meds, that it’s best to wean off of them gradually.
In my case my BP had dropped so dramatically that my cardiologist didn’t wean me off of Metropol but just stopped it immediately but the Flecinide he is reducing slowly. I’m on a half a dose now and if I keep doing well he may take me off of it completely in about six months.
I would definitely consult with a doctor before quitting all together.