• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hey all, taking it in increments I hit one month. Feel no different. I am not certain whether I will continue for two month milestone. I am for the time being. I experimented once in past full on diet just to see if doc noticed between exams. Resulted in a number of effects but the doc did't catch any even though I lost 35 lbs in the three months. The mental benefits were due to what I had accomplished. The discipline and subsequent benefit of managing rest, diet and activities was more powerful than what I was eating. An advantage carnivore has is that although you can eat as much as you want (stopping at full) the menu is limited and it is easy to eat less or skip it altogether....... just my thoughts currently. 

Hey all, taking it in increments I hit one month. Feel no different. I am not certain whether I will continue for two month milestone. I am for the time being. I experimented once in past full on diet just to see if doc noticed between exams. Resulted in a number of effects but the doc did't catch any even though I lost 35 lbs in the three months. The mental benefits were due to what I had accomplished. The discipline and subsequent benefit of managing rest, diet and activities was more powerful than what I was eating. An advantage carnivore has is that although you can eat as much as you want (stopping at full) the menu is limited and it is easy to eat less or skip it altogether....... just my thoughts currently. 

Interesting perspective.
I’m curious, how old are you? I ask because for the majority of us who are up there in age and have numerous physical and metabolic issues carnivore is a miracle drug.
It is truly a healing diet.
Many younger people who have yet to wreck their bodies through hard living and poor nutrition don’t see as much benefit except in the weight loss area.
What they will benefit from is proper nutrition that will stave off the pain and suffering that we went through util we found this WOE.
One month isn’t very long to see much change if there’s not much wrong with you. I saw enough change in 30 days to encourage me to go for 60 and then 90 and now I’m 392 days carnivore and will never turn back to the poison in my old life.
As far as variety goes you are only limited by your imagination. I find plenty of variety eating carnivore. Just look up what I eat on a daily basis on the “what did you eat today” thread. You’ll see that I never get bored.
We don’t really eat less at all, we just eat what we need. There is a difference. That average person today over eats but the beauty of carnivore is that it satiates you so well that you stay satisfied for much longer. Most carnivore’s end up only needing two meals a day and the rest, like me, just eat once a day.
I only eat when I’m hungry because that’s my body telling me it needs fuel.
Food is no longer for pleasure and entertainment but is now for nutrition and health.
Carnivore for us is not just a diet. It’s a lifestyle. It’s not what we eat, it’s what we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Another Meat Head said:

I experimented once in past full on diet just to see if doc noticed between exams. Resulted in a number of effects but the doc did't catch any even though I lost 35 lbs in the three months.

Was this a previous commitment to the carnivore diet or was it a different diet?

13 hours ago, Another Meat Head said:

An advantage carnivore has is that although you can eat as much as you want (stopping at full) the menu is limited and it is easy to eat less or skip it altogether....... just my thoughts currently.

This is true. There is no way I could have intermittent fasted on any previous diets that I tried. But filling up on fat and protein with meat can make me feel full for way longer, making it easier to fast if I want. 

If you are in good physical health, I generally do not see the harm in occasionally having a single ingredient whole food that nature provides, whether that makes you "keto" or "animal-based", provided you remain carnivore-centric.

On the other hand, keep your eyes on @Geezy's posts around here. He might just be our most strict carnivore among us and he finds a way to keep shaking things up for variety. 

On 6/4/2024 at 6:02 PM, Geezy said:

Interesting perspective.
I’m curious, how old are you? I ask because for the majority of us who are up there in age and have numerous physical and metabolic issues carnivore is a miracle drug.
It is truly a healing diet.
Many younger people who have yet to wreck their bodies through hard living and poor nutrition don’t see as much benefit except in the weight loss area.
What they will benefit from is proper nutrition that will stave off the pain and suffering that we went through util we found this WOE.
One month isn’t very long to see much change if there’s not much wrong with you. I saw enough change in 30 days to encourage me to go for 60 and then 90 and now I’m 392 days carnivore and will never turn back to the poison in my old life.
As far as variety goes you are only limited by your imagination. I find plenty of variety eating carnivore. Just look up what I eat on a daily basis on the “what did you eat today” thread. You’ll see that I never get bored.
We don’t really eat less at all, we just eat what we need. There is a difference. That average person today over eats but the beauty of carnivore is that it satiates you so well that you stay satisfied for much longer. Most carnivore’s end up only needing two meals a day and the rest, like me, just eat once a day.
I only eat when I’m hungry because that’s my body telling me it needs fuel.
Food is no longer for pleasure and entertainment but is now for nutrition and health.
Carnivore for us is not just a diet. It’s a lifestyle. It’s not what we eat, it’s what we are.

I am certain following a serious diet is a lifestyle while a casual diet is just following a menu..  

If I adjusted the approach to more than merely eating according to carnivore guidelines I would gain benefits. The previous diet I spoke of was all encompassing and aggressive. The anti-inflammatory aspect of a carnivore diet was something I was interested in. People have described increased mental clarity. I achieved that through the previous diet. I am certain that it was sticking to a plan and achieving the target goal which was the greatest source of prize as opposed to the specific food and direct manner of its consumption. I share many of your ailments and am a few years younger than you. But I generally have eaten good food. I have had the build and metabolism to get away with eating larger portions and anything and everything I desired. I dieted once and immediately dropped weight merely eating what I needed instead of as much as I wanted. I was still slender but had 40 pounds to get back to my high school weight of 35 years earlier (at that time).

I am limited to mostly frying food and use a pressure cooking a lot which involves frying as well. I do not have any form of oven and cannot BBQ. I am tired of greasy food. The only thing to counter it is drinking a lot of water. I also drink a lot of coffee. I have not experienced any transition stage. I was able to sustain energy abruptly switching to carnivore and off sugars, carbs, veggies and fruits. The coffee does not give me energy. I can sleep after drinking a pot at night after drinking it all day. I can also just drink water instead. I do not feel a boost from the coffee but I do feel a sort of Zen effect from water. Coffee helps counter all the greasy meat. 

19 hours ago, Bob said:

Was this a previous commitment to the carnivore diet or was it a different diet?

This is true. There is no way I could have intermittent fasted on any previous diets that I tried. But filling up on fat and protein with meat can make me feel full for way longer, making it easier to fast if I want. 

If you are in good physical health, I generally do not see the harm in occasionally having a single ingredient whole food that nature provides, whether that makes you "keto" or "animal-based", provided you remain carnivore-centric.

On the other hand, keep your eyes on @Geezy's posts around here. He might just be our most strict carnivore among us and he finds a way to keep shaking things up for variety. 

I see people using "fast" in two contexts. One is an extended period of not eating solid food while drinking a lot of liquid. The other is describing distinct intervals of not eating at all between meals. I have only "dieted" twice if you count this carnivore experiment. I was very interested in experimenting with diet the first time. It was not carnivore. I designed a target/goal and broke it down into increments. It was all encompassing including what you might describe as a diet of not just food but rest, food and its manner of consumption and activity. I was surprised discovering things along the way like you need rest to lose weight. You can lose weight just getting a good night of sleep while you may not budge or even put on weight if you do not get good rest. Another key is avoiding triggering survival mode. If you deny and starve yourself your body holds onto everything because it believes you need it to sustain your life so it is counterproductive to weight loss. Those two there make the difference between comfortable weight loss and miserable failure.

Before going hybrid? and being more keto I was hoping to sense some of the reported benefits of carnivore as an anti-inflammatory diet. I was hoping to experience arthritic pain relief among other things. While eating carnivore foods has been easy in a sense I am tired of meat. When I was on that first diet it eventually included everything I would eat previously off the diet in small amounts and it would not have any effect on my weight. I was felt mentally strong, clear thoughts were managed and processed efficiently. It all fed a cycle of rejuvenating strength. But I did experience constant craving. Everything on the menu I would crave during the intervals of not eating between meals. But honoring that discipline was a source of strength in and of itself. In a sense, carnivore has been too simple and easy for me. Perhaps I need more of an all encompassing expanded model. 

I have used an instant pot to sear and then cook rare roast beef, same as oven. You pressure cook it for 5 minutes then let it sit for almost an hour, depending on the weight of the roast. This works for the lean cuts like round roast. 

I’m impressed with your knowledge and regimentation experience.
You really pay attention to your body.
Carnivore, while I believe it to be the most nutritious and healthiest way for a human to eat, may not be for everyone. I’ve often heard of people who get tired of eating meat. For them it may not be sustainable. I personally don’t understand that because I love meat. For me carnivore isn’t a diet or what I eat, it’s what I am.
I find a tremendous variety in eating different kinds of meats and fixing them different ways. I lost the desire to eat anything other than fat and meat after about 90 days as a carnivore. I also lost the desire to eat for pleasure. I only eat now for fuel and I let my body tell me when it needs more fuel. Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy my food and it tastes great but I have to be truly hungry before I can eat.
Some people find that they need to be on a more ketovore diet and eat some low carb vegetables or a little fiber and that’s fine. To each own. You have to do what’s tight for you.
I personally will not eat anything that isn’t nutritious for my body. It just doesn’t make sense to me to eat something that my body can’t utilize.
The most important thing to help optimize your health in my opinion is to eliminate all sugars and sweeteners. Eliminate all seeds, that’s grains and nuts. Eliminate all seed and vegetable oils. Eliminate all high carb and high oxalate vegetables.
Those alone will greatly improve the health of all humans.

20 hours ago, Miranda said:

I have used an instant pot to sear and then cook rare roast beef, same as oven. You pressure cook it for 5 minutes then let it sit for almost an hour, depending on the weight of the roast. This works for the lean cuts like round roast. 

That is promising news. Results vary between meats. Pork short rib has had most consistently good results. A certain cut of chuck roast works well also. Many meats cannot tolerate being pressure cooked to point of tenderizing and go the other direction, toughening. This is the first I have heard of being able to render a rare roast. I will definitely experiment.  

3 hours ago, Another Meat Head said:

That is promising news. Results vary between meats. Pork short rib has had most consistently good results. A certain cut of chuck roast works well also. Many meats cannot tolerate being pressure cooked to point of tenderizing and go the other direction, toughening. This is the first I have heard of being able to render a rare roast. I will definitely experiment.  

If you want, I will send a pic of my recipe that I use, later today. Right now everyone else in the house is sleeping.😉

On 6/6/2024 at 3:40 AM, Another Meat Head said:

I was surprised discovering things along the way like you need rest to lose weight. You can lose weight just getting a good night of sleep while you may not budge or even put on weight if you do not get good rest.

This is true, and admittedly an area where I struggle. Other carnivores report needing less sleep or having interrupted sleep. I've heard it could be related to my chronic kidney disease also. But I'm basically biphasic. I sleep from 11pm-1am, sometimes 2am, and wake up. Then I fall back asleep at 3am or 4am and get up at 7-8am. I miss the days when I could sleep for 8-10 hours, lol. Sometimes I think I am plateaued on my weight loss due to this sleep issue.

On 6/6/2024 at 3:40 AM, Another Meat Head said:

If you deny and starve yourself your body holds onto everything because it believes you need it to sustain your life so it is counterproductive to weight loss.

This is true as well. I've done a few 24 hour fasts, and one 40 hour fast, but honestly I am just not into fasting. I would rather eat, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 6:35 PM, Another Meat Head said:

The mental benefits are definitely connected with what you put in your body. Diet may not be the main culprit, or the all out solution, but we do have a chemical, hormonal response to what we put in our body which may worsen mental states in which we may find ourselves. Of course, the feeling of accomplishment is a benefactor. Be proud of yourself and carry on, if anything, give it 90 days. I am still discovering improvements after 6 months. Remember, we faced a lifetime of a toxic western diet.