• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

I’m new to the carnivore diet. I’m 4days in and finally had a movement. A little concerned because there was a noticeable amount of blood in the stool. I’m feeling good and it didn’t hurt. Actually I’m feeling really good. I guess my question is, has that happened to anyone else? Is it normal? Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks 

That’s not normal. The only time I’ve experienced anything like that I had some really bad constipation and it hurt me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that is not normal, diet or no diet, and should be closely monitored by both you and your doctor. 

I went a stretch this week without going at all. I was probably at that point where I was close to being constipated without actually being/feeling constipated.

You can read my other post about the 'relief' I had this morning. 

So after not going for most of the week I did not see any blood. (I did have to look back and admire my efforts).

I'm not a a doctor nor a medical professional but I would get that checked out. 

Good luck. 

Scott

On 6/20/2024 at 2:58 PM, jeep.works said:

I’m new to the carnivore diet. I’m 4days in and finally had a movement. A little concerned because there was a noticeable amount of blood in the stool. I’m feeling good and it didn’t hurt. Actually I’m feeling really good. I guess my question is, has that happened to anyone else? Is it normal? Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks 

There could be a coupe things going on here.

If it is light red, and ends up on the toilet paper when you clean up, it's likely a hemorrhoid or you just busted a vessel (anal fissure) when passing or wiping. This is more likely to happen if you were constipated and straining. In the first several weeks of keto and especially carnivore, you may notice unpredictable stools - diarrhea one time, and then hard as a rock the next, and vice versa. Eventually this will normalize.  

If it's a LOT of blood and dark red or blackish, that might signify internal bleeding further up in the digestive tract. This could be from diverticulitis, colitis, gastroenteritis, polyps, upper GI bleed, and more. If the LOTS of dark maroon blood continues to be an issue, you will want to see a doctor to rule out anything serious.