• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Whey protein and/or KetoChow

What do you guys think about using (clean, grassfed) whey protein powder occasionally for those who cannot eat enough protein for whatever reason? Also; for those having trouble getting enough fat, or on the verge of giving up because they're desperate for something other than meat, utilizing a serving KetoChow to stay technically Carnivore? 

Here is my $0.02, and it will be a struggle for it to be worth the entire $0.02, as I am still brand new.

I have read about people who are lifting/working out heavily and they simply can't eat enough protein each day (whole food) and they use the whey proteins and supplement along those lines.

I started at 306lbs and have lost 49. I'm pretty much eating once per day and have only ben actually hungry only twice since May. I did a couple 48 hour fasts with no problems. I am lifting as the fat comes off, I am hoping for some muscle mass to be there vs. looking like an empty trash bag whenever I plane out.

Although I am not there yet, I can see where I may need to go that route for the protein needed. Tonight, at work, I am eating now. I'm not at all hungry but I have a 12-hour shift in front of me and I plan to work out/walk in the morning. 

So, in May a nice size ribeye was not a challenge at all. Less than 3 months later, eating once a day, that same rib eye is more than feel like I want. (if that makes any sense at all). Last week I ate half the rib eye at night and put half in the refrigerator. I took it to the gym with me and instead of a post work out protein drink I ate the steak on the ride home. 

Eating a chunk of steak riding down the road made me look like a true carnivore or some sort of psychopath. Not sure which.

I'm not there yet but I can see where for me the use of protein drinks may be a real option.

Scott

I suppose that if the whey protein was clean with no additives then it would be ok but I prefer to get my protein naturally and I can’t imagine a scenario where I wouldn’t be able to f do that.
I’m not sure about Keto Chow, I suppose you’d have to go through the ingredients list to see if it’s ok to eat as a carnivore. Can you really be carnivore if you are only “technically” carnivore? That’s an interesting thing to ponder.
I can’t understand the concept of being tired of eating meat. There is so much variety to be had. I would have to wonder about my commitment to being carnivore and if I had truly ended my addictions.
Try out your ideas and see how they work for you but be ready to go back if things don’t go the way you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I doubt I would ever get tired of eating meat. Prior to carnivore I could eat a bologna sandwich every day without complaining. 

As I move along, I am finding I eat much less and that amount leaves me full for stretches, even outlasting the one meal day approach.

Where my 54 year old body is composition wise 6 months from now is "who knows". Being that I am not hungry at all now if I needed more protein to add muscle I think it would have to force eat the extra protein. 

I would probably think of using one of the grass-fed powders along with creatine monohydrate.

Right now, I feel like I am a long way from making that decision but no more than I really want to eat now, I can see it as a possibly if muscle gain is a priority.

Interesting subject.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, Susyn C_137 said:

What do you guys think about using (clean, grassfed) whey protein powder occasionally for those who cannot eat enough protein for whatever reason?\

This would be fine. Whey comes from the cheese making process, and is an animal protein. It contains all the amino acids and is therefore a complete protein. You just want to make sure it's clean.

On 7/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, Susyn C_137 said:

Also; for those having trouble getting enough fat, or on the verge of giving up because they're desperate for something other than meat, utilizing a serving KetoChow to stay technically Carnivore?

You could do this and still be mostly carnivore, carnivore enough. Keto Chow isn't strictly carnivore because of the acacia gum (it acts as an emulsifier and lets butter or other fats stay mixed even when refrigerated) along with a few other plant-derived ingredients (like cocoa powder in the chocolate). They do make versions with beef protein as well as unsweetened. 

My wife uses Keto Chow currently. You mix it with your choice of fat and water. Currently we use a mix of water and heavy cream. It's good stuff.