• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Help Regarding My Blood Sugars

Can someone give me advice please. I've been doing carnivore for 4 months. (Classic Carnivore) so just meat, fat and dairy.

My A1C (United Kingdom) two 1/2 months ago was 6.7 down from over 14.

I was taking 70 units of slow release insulin and 14 units of fast acting insulin with meals and without food to keep them low. Plus Metformin.

Since doing carnivore my blood sugars have been amazing (NO Longer in the 20+ Range) I have come off all insulin 😉 BUT my problem is: when I wake up they are between 11 and 15 and will stay high. I can see off my libre app that my blood sugars start raising at 6am regardless of what time I actually get up. Until later on in the evening where they stay between 8 & 9. I wear a Libre 2 so I can monitor my blood sugars 24 hours. And from 6am In the morning before I'm even awake that's when they start creeping. I've asked my diabetic nurse and she is a bit baffled and she just said try having carbs before I go asleep and I said no way! I have tried having a fat and protein snack both before I go to sleep and when I awake and same results I was even fasting most day for 23 hours and still the same I don't know what to do get them down please help. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice would be appreciated ☺️❤️xx

I've also attached a screen shot of my libre activity for todayScreenshot_2024-08-22-21-17-32-04_1f282d79cc470271d24365448b52b737.thumb.jpg.7ee1f1c360bf3eb451886200e95a3617.jpg

Far from being an expert here but it sounds like Dawn Phenomenon to me which is pretty normal.
At only four months in it sounds like you’ve had some really great results but you are still new to this WOE and your body may still be adjusting.
I wonder if eating just before bed time could be an issue. I’ve heard that taking some ACV can be helpful in the evening.
I would also look at what I’m eating as far as my fat to protein ratios.
Protein is broken down into smaller building block units called amino acids, which your body then uses to build and repair tissues or convert into glucose in the liver. Amino acids are used in a process called gluconeogenesis, which produces glucose from non-carbohydrate sources. This process is especially important during long fasts, like overnight while sleeping, or during prolonged periods without food.

Meal timing and frequency on a carnivore diet can also affect blood sugar levels. Eating larger meals less frequently may cause blood sugar to rise more significantly than if you were to consume smaller, more frequent meals. It’s essential to experiment with different meal timing and frequency strategies to determine what works best for managing your blood sugar.
Gluconeogenesis is a biological process by which the body converts non-carbohydrate sources, such as protein, into glucose. While the Carnivore Diet is primarily focused on protein consumption, it’s important to note that excess protein can potentially be converted into glucose through gluconeogenesis. However, this process is demand-driven, meaning it occurs only when the body requires glucose for energy and is not as significant as the glucose derived from dietary carbohydrates. Therefore, protein consumption on the Carnivore Diet is unlikely to have a significant impact on blood sugar levels.
Give it more time and do a little experimenting and see what happens.
Eating a carnivore diet is still the best way to eat for a everyone especially for diabetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I use to be a bad diabetic before I lost a lot of weight.  I was diabetic for almost 20 years and the last 7 or so I was using crazy amounts of bothe fast and long acting insulin, sometimes as much as 350 units a day.

I would try lowering protein and raising fat.  Use Loseit or another app to track what you eat and keep your fat to protein ratio at least 70/30.  Don't eat after dinner and make sure dinner is at least 3-4 hours before bed.  Metformin is made to help with dawn syndrome which it sounds like is your issue.

On 8/22/2024 at 4:43 PM, Evie said:

I have come off all insulin 😉

I was even fasting most day for 23 hours and still the same I don't know what to do get them down

So you are experiencing the "dawn phenomenon" as mentioned above. And the reason it takes so long to come down is because you are still diabetic and not taking insulin anymore. As a Type II Diabetic, you have one or both of these issues going on: 1) Your cells are insulin resistant, and 2) Your pancreas produces insufficient amounts of insulin. 

A normal healthy person would see that morning blood sugar spike come down fairly fast, but for you it takes until the evening. You can either choose not to worry about it or resume some insulin, to which you will not need nearly as much as you were taking before.