• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Temporary loss of mental capabilities similar to dementia symptoms with beef

Guest ARK19

I have been doing carnivore (over 95% of the time) for about one and a half years with many positive results. I mostly consume beef, eggs, butter, and chicken. Occasionally pork, fish, and lamb. Recently I have noticed that when I consume beef I develop observable deterioration in my mental capabilities, such as loss of focus, unable to remember, and inability to form cohesive sentences. They appear to be dementia symptoms. One person close to me even commented about my poor mental state (I almost looked like a dumb person). Two to three hours after consuming beef these dementia-like symptoms peak and then after several hours, these symptoms reduce i.e. become close to normal.  This happens irrespective of the type of beef, such as ground beef, steak, organic, expensive, or cheap. I purchase all the beef from conventional grocery stores, i.e., not from a farmer. This happens only with beef.

Any help on this matter is very much appreciated. After this observation, I am very much hesitant to consume beef.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Guest ARK19 said:

After this observation, I am very much hesitant to consume beef.

Understandable. This isn't something I have heard of before. I tried doing some searches and came up with some usual things to check on.

1) Histamines. You might want to try and get something fresh from the farmer and cook it right away, rather than something from the store that has been packaged for several days. 

2) Add more salt.

3) What is your fat intake like?

The answer to number three could point you too endotoxemia from too much saturated fat at once or protein fermentation from eating too much protein.

Based on your description, the symptoms start after you have had time to digest and absorb some of this, and then wears off hours later after digestion is over. This suggests temporary inflammation. But beef is usually uninflammatory unless you are having a histamine reaction to it.

I'll turn on guest ability to Reply so you can comment further.

Thanks, Bob. 

I consume about half to a full stick of butter in a day. I generally add a generous amount of salt. But per your suggestion, I will increase my salt. Before I started the carnivore diet, I had inflammation. It is much less now. 

Consuming chicken has the opposite effect: my mental state becomes better usually the next day. This positive effect of chicken I observed over a few decades ago and it still brings about a positive effect and better feeling.

Another observation: consuming strong coffee also brings about dementia-like symptoms temporarily. In this case, dementia-like symptoms peak at around half an hour after consuming coffee and then reduce after that. After over two hours it subsides almost completely.  I am not sure if there is any connection between beef and coffee.

1 hour ago, Guest ARK19 said:

Consuming chicken has the opposite effect: my mental state becomes better usually the next day.

I would put this aside for now, since it's not causing a serious side effect. Coffee and beef affect you within a short time. Check makes you feel better "usually the next day". The next day is quite a difference. 

You still describe a temporary situation, with the coffee process hitting you sooner and ending sooner than the beef process. This makes sense, because it's going to take time to digest the beef and start absorbing it into your blood stream compared to the coffee which happens faster.

So we have to figure out what it is. Rising blood sugar? Rising insulin levels? Low blood sugar? Temporary inflammation?

Have you had diabetes? Are you on any medications?

On 11/5/2023 at 8:45 PM, Guest ARK19 said:

Recently I have noticed that when I consume beef I develop observable deterioration in my mental capabilities, such as loss of focus, unable to remember, and inability to form cohesive sentences. They appear to be dementia symptoms. One person close to me even commented about my poor mental state (I almost looked like a dumb person).

Those are pretty serious symptoms, and not generally anything beef alone would cause.

I think you should see your doctor and explain this to him.

I had an A1C of a bit over 8 before I started carnivore. Now it hovers around 6. I am not on medications. 

I am reluctant to see a conventional MD medical doctor because of my previous experiences. I appreciate any suggestions on alternative treatments/doctors. My apologies if I am asking too much. 

Thanks

I am going to have to try and dig deeper. Your situation is unique to me. I am not a doctor, just an information junkie with a particular fascination with keto-carnivore nutrition.

4 hours ago, Guest ARK19 said:

I appreciate any suggestions on alternative treatments/doctors.

I am a big fan of Dr. Ken Berry MD and of Dr. Robert Kiltz. 

Dr. Kiltz has a Monday night group zoom call in his private community. He also has a daily weekday 5am (Eastern Time) livestream and you can type him questions. He also does one at 10am on Sundays.

Dr. Ken Berry has what he called Monday Night Live on YouTube where you can type questions. Super chats will get priority. It's at 7pm Eastern Time. Then if you join his community, there is a much more informal and less busy Tuesday evening livestream, Wednesday morning and Wednesday evening livestream, and if you are willing to enroll in the $20/mo plan, you can participate in a group Zoom call with him on Wednesday evenings.

I think Dr. Berry in particular would be a good person to talk about your situation with