• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

How cheap should education be?

Well to start with, nothing is free therefore education must be paid for.
I believe that the tuition costs of higher education is outrageous but I also believe in a free market and I believe you get what you pay for.
All this means is that a school may charge whatever the choose to charge and I may choose to either pay that fee, if I believe to cost is worth the expense, or I may choose to pursue my education elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 6:20 AM, Geezy said:

Well to start with, nothing is free theref re education must be paid for. therefore that the tuition costs of higher education is outrageous but I also believe in a isee market a d I believe you get what you pay fo .
All this means is that a school may charge whatever the choose to charge and I may choose to either pay that fee, if I believe to cost is worth the expense, or I may choose to pursue my education elsewhere.

This is true. It is all about the comparative cost when it comes to making a choice about the school that one can afford. What is also important is to come to terms with the fact that quality education will definitely come at a cost and there is need to figure out  the necessary ways to afford the quality education at an affordable cost.

I do think the cost of higher education is way out of hand. But I think that is true with the cost of a lot of things these days. 

But I do think it's worth mentioning that many of these college degrees won't net you much more income than a career in the skilled trades also can. You can apprentice under a journeyman for 4-5 years and master a craft, then start making a pretty penny for yourself. The time invested in learning is the same, whether you apprentice or your go to college, but apprenticing to learn a skilled trade will not put you into massive debt.

Spot on Bob. This is the route I went and it was very lucrative. My son did the same.
Most people I come across that graduated with a college degree don’t even work in the field they studied in.
When I was working it used to really tick off the young college boys coming on the job that I made three times what they were making.
We need more trade schools in my opinion. The skilled labor force is diminishing.

Perception has an impact on some people's point of view when it comes to the cost of education and the expected and/or accepted income of those with the education.

On another forum, shortly before the pandemic, they were having a "discussion" (dispute) over who should get paid what. It seemed most thought that "professionals" with a degree should get maid much more than skilled workers. One of the main reasons for this was due to the high cost of the education. It was pointed out that many leave college with a debt of $100,000 dollars or more and need the higher salaries to pay off the debt. When it was pointed out that a skilled worker could easily have $100,000 of debt tied up in the cost of his tools and truck it was downplayed as not pertinent since they didn't go to college.

They seemed to think that a skilled worker making more than $35 an hour was absolutely uncalled for and ridiculous - after all, they don't have a degree ... while a person with a degree was worth every penny of $75 an hour or more and totally justifiable.

The fact that both incurred the same $$ of debt was considered irrelevant.

Of course, when they need a skilled worker to fix or build something they can't do, they expect one to be readily available ... and affordable.

Edited by Qapla