• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hey everybody im new here! Ex started me on carnivore in october and i stuck almost completely to it until our breakup around christmas. Almost completely back on it. I cannot believe how incredibly better i felt getting rid of carbs (other than milk!).

lost 15 lbs in two weeks at the beginning of it. Stomach never felt better (ive had gut issues for yeeears)

Random question. Because im weird… honey is technically an animal product right? 😂😂 seeing as its bee vomit and bees are insects and insects are members of the animal kingdom? Lol anyway my question really being, will consuming honey screw up ketosis? I think even whole milk might have because i stopped losing weight when i found out i could drink milk  

so glad i found this site! Hey everybody!

11 hours ago, Lizalizard said:

Hey everybody im new here!

Welcome aboard Ruth @Lizalizard

:welcome:

lost 15 lbs in two weeks at the beginning of it. Stomach never felt better (ive had gut issues for yeeears)

Awesome. Get back on board and stick with it. 🙂

Random question. Because im weird… honey is technically an animal product right? 😂😂 seeing as its bee vomit and bees are insects and insects are members of the animal kingdom?

This is always a difficult question to answer. I guess technically it is an animal product. But your next question kinda throws a wrench into things....

my question really being, will consuming honey screw up ketosis?

Yes it will. Honey is full of sugar and carbs, and even a small amount will kick you out of ketosis until you have used those carbs up. If being in ketosis is your goal, for the sake of losing weight or reversing/curing a health issue, then you will want to stay away from honey. If you are metabolically healthy and happy with your weight, a little honey isn't going to do you any harm.

I think even whole milk might have because i stopped losing weight when i found out i could drink milk  

Yes, milk has 8g of sugar (lactose) per cup. Like honey, this will bump you out of ketosis for a while, depending on how much you drink.

Those of us who are trying to do a ketogenic form of a carnivore/animal-based diet will avoid milk and honey. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Those of us who are trying to do a ketogenic form of a carnivore/animal-based diet will avoid milk and honey. 

Hello Ruth, welcome aboard. 😊 It's wonderful the Carnivore way of eating is providing you such lovely benefits.

As Bob said, milk and honey will kick you out of Ketosis, and can definitely halt weight loss (if weight loss is one of your goals). Regardless of the fact that it is an animal product, honey is straight up SUGAR (primarily glucose and fructose) with +/- 17 grams of carbs per tablespoon.  Many dairy products are surprisingly high in carbs (fresh, "wet" items like milk, yoghurt, kefir, cottage cheese and ricotta average 8 to 12 grams of carbohydrate per cup). When I eat carbs in any form I get puffy and squishy, head to toe. They also jack my blood sugar, and it takes hours to normalize. One day I hope to be metabolically healthy again...

I love ghee, butter, cream, and full-fat cheeses like Brie, and they are basically zero carbohydrate foods - although I find them very easy to overeat.  👀

Without question I FEEL BETTER on a near-zero carb diet, but I also look better, if that matters to you. (It does matter a bit to me, oh vanity! 😖)

Bob posted an excellent graphic, circles within circles, Keto to Lion Diet. I couldn't find it - maybe he can repost it here? 🙂 

Health to you. 🥰

LynnD

Not vanity Lynn! Ive noticed a huge correlation in how my body looks and how it feels! I originally started carnivore to fix some mental health things and it has definitely helped with that. The weight loss was a plus. 

bob, thanks for the break down! That makes total sense with everything ive heard. This year I’m really trying to focus on physical and mental health and i was researching the effects of honey on mental health but if its going to totally wreck my carnivore diet, i might have to forego it and just do a loooot of meditating 😂

8 hours ago, Lynn D said:

Bob posted an excellent graphic, circles within circles, Keto to Lion Diet. I couldn't find it - maybe he can repost it here? 🙂 

large.ketoCarnivoreScale.jpg.48ec5622552

Wow! Apparently i was originally on the lion diet! 😬 

I was strict carnivore but recently I have been sitting somewhere between meat-based keto and relaxed carnivore. Although I am considering going pure Lion Diet for 30 days... maybe. 

I personally do not consider an insect an animal. It’s a bug. When I’ve eaten bugs I said I ate a insect, I did say I ate an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk