• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Retired military-type here. I had always managed reasonable fitness, at least enough to not get into trouble, but my weight and general broken-ness seemed to increase with age and I just assumed this was the natural course of things. I'm 5'10" and was hovering at around 200 lbs when I started a keto-like diet and changed my workouts while on a deployment. It worked, I dropped 20 lbs and was able to mostly maintain for the rest of my career. This "maintenance" still incorporated a lot of plants, as well as a no-holds cheat day once a week or so.

After retirement, I suppose I slacked off a bit and the weight started creeping up again, joint pains increased, and, in retrospect, my mental health was probably not ideal. I was starting to get desperate a little over a year ago and tried some fasting. I did one week with water only, and it had amazing results as far as my mental clarity and general mood, and it made the transition to eating only one meal a day really easy which also helped me maintain. I still had problems though, I'd damage something (shoulders are bad, occasional muscle strain, etc) every couple of months while working out, and by the end of last year, my knees were getting so bad that I felt like it was time to start that medical spiral of surgeries and eventual replacement.

I abruptly decided to switch to meat only around the middle of January, no doubt subtly influenced by various youtube videos or other social media, but with some apprehension as well, as there are just as many videos out there telling me I'm straight up murdering myself by doing this. I told myself I would try it for 2 weeks, just to see how I felt. I was a week into it when I picked up Dr. Shawn Baker's book and that helped allay some of my concerns. 

So here I am, end of February and still sticking with it. It's freaking magical; had I found a drug that has this kind of general effect on everything from my mood to my various aches and pains, I would be a junky. My insomnia is fixed, I'm starting to work out again and don't feel like I'm going to break something. People who I see fairly infrequently ask why I look different. I'm not anxious or angry. Really, my only problem is that I feel like I may appear crazy; I want to tell everyone that I've found something supernatural and I know how that would look. So instead of shouting from the rooftops, I'll post here for now. Nice to meet you all!

10 hours ago, skittles said:

So here I am, end of February and still sticking with it. It's freaking magical; had I found a drug that has this kind of general effect on everything from my mood to my various aches and pains, I would be a junky. My insomnia is fixed, I'm starting to work out again and don't feel like I'm going to break something. People who I see fairly infrequently ask why I look different. I'm not anxious or angry. Really, my only problem is that I feel like I may appear crazy; I want to tell everyone that I've found something supernatural and I know how that would look. So instead of shouting from the rooftops, I'll post here for now. Nice to meet you all!

Welcome aboard Jason! We're glad to have you.

I can completely relate to how you feel. I am quite vocal about my diet and tend to speak like I'm some professional in human nutrition, and yes, people around me look at me like I am crazy. I've got a cousin that mockingly calls me "Dr. Bob" lol. However, I do manage to reach some who are willing to listen. 

It certainly feels like it's "supernatural" because the results often seem miraculous, especially as we reverse and cure conditions that we were programmed to believe were chronic, lifelong, had no cure, and science "still doesn't quite understand what causes" this or that, and thus says it's genetic. But it's actually not supernatural, it's simply natural. We're eating real food, and not manmade frankenfoods that are poisoning society at large, and reaping the benefits.

Welcome. Former soldier myself.
Yes it’s hard to refrain from sharing with everyone one you meet about the good news of carnivore. My wife helps keep me in check. “But honey, they asked.” Typical wife eye roll.
Just bask in the wonderful glory and praise you get from it and stand ready with advice when asked and the knowledge to defend when you must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Love this, love this, love this. 

Thank you so much for sharing. I am inspired. 

I am on my fifth day today of meat, eggs and fat. 

My joints are hurting a little. I wonder if that is because they are less numb! 

While I didn’t experienced joint pain in the beginning I suppose it could be oxalate dumping.

8 hours ago, Geezy said:

While I didn’t experienced joint pain in the beginning I suppose it could be oxalate dumping.

Wow. Thank you again for the information Geezy. I just read about oxalate dumping. I have been a little itchy recently too and have a bit of a rash on my face. An article that I read suggests that a symptom of oxalate dumping can be rashes. 

I am so glad that I have started this way of eating. Truly. 

On 3/9/2024 at 7:39 PM, louis said:

I'm still going strong here...Like I mentioned, my knees are in pretty rough shape and my shoulders were pretty fragile. Range of motion in both were pretty limited.

Within a week of starting, both knees and shoulders started aching, but differently than the sharp pain I was used to. Then, and again, I hate to sound crazy here, they just got better. I can stretch my arms above my head without hesitation, I can reach that itch in the middle of my back without thinking about it. 

I think I'm adjusting being less broken.  My collarbones are sore; my knees don't hurt as much but some pain has spread up to my thighs and down to my calves. I think I'm using muscles and tendons that I've not had to use in a long time, they are tight and weak. I'm adjusting to not limping while walking.

Keep it up and let me know the little things you notice. Talking with other people who see similar improvements helps me feel a little less nuts.

6 hours ago, skittles said:

I'm adjusting to not limping while walking.

Glad to hear you are experiencing some improvements and benefits. 

You're experience sounds like a carnivore YouTuber named Dave Mac. He has videos of himself before carnivore walking with a limp, and these days his walk is very much improved. 

12 hours ago, skittles said:

I'm still going strong here...Like I mentioned, my knees are in pretty rough shape and my shoulders were pretty fragile. Range of motion in both were pretty limited.

Within a week of starting, both knees and shoulders started aching, but differently than the sharp pain I was used to. Then, and again, I hate to sound crazy here, they just got better. I can stretch my arms above my head without hesitation, I can reach that itch in the middle of my back without thinking about it. 

I think I'm adjusting being less broken.  My collarbones are sore; my knees don't hurt as much but some pain has spread up to my thighs and down to my calves. I think I'm using muscles and tendons that I've not had to use in a long time, they are tight and weak. I'm adjusting to not limping while walking.

Keep it up and let me know the little things you notice. Talking with other people who see similar improvements helps me feel a little less nuts.

1 hour ago, louis said:

Thank you for the information Bob. I am going to check Dave Mac out now. All sorts of things are going on! Aches, spots..... plus smiling and more energy!! 

Hi again Bob. I just watched a couple of Dave Mac videos. Thanks again for informing me about him. So much of what he said he experienced before his carnivore break through rings true for me. It is motivating hearing him. Here's to my change! I can do this! In fact, I am doing this! Namaste

Edited by louis
Mistake

14 hours ago, skittles said:

Absolutely Skittles. Hearing your progress is inspiring. 

Re talking. Well. It is amazing how much I am talking (writing) in this group. I used to hide. 

I have only been doing this for a short amount of time as you know. Still, I am noticing differences. I am 'talking'. Being authentic. 

Yes, there is a long way to go and yes mind is saying a lot to me. still, I am talking. 

Getting out of bed in the morning is still a little tricky. It is a lot less tricky than it was before I started this and takes me a small amount of time to get up now instead of festering in the abuse mind tells me. 

I think that my body is coming out from being numb too! 

To life!