• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Internet should be a human right?

Breathing is a human right - drinking Coke is not.

Being able to move around is a human right - driving a car is a privilege, not a right.

Hearing the sounds around us is a human right - having a pair of earbuds is not.

Communication with others may be a human right, using the Internet for that purpose is not.

I don’t believe so.
A “right” is more of a necessity of freedom whereas something like the internet is just a platform that should enable the user to exercise the “right” of free speech but the platform itself is not a right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, I think the Internet should be a human right because it provides access to information, education, communication, and opportunities for social and economic development. It has become an essential tool for participation in modern society and should be accessible to all individuals regardless of their background or location.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 7:48 AM, Debashis said:

should be accessible to all individuals regardless of their background or location.

That is easily said. The grand question is: who is supposed to pay for it?

It is actually already accessible to all individuals regardless of their background or location. And with the advent of Starlink, that should solidify being accessible in most locations.

But being a 'right' is over the edge for me, too. A service that someone provides cannot be a 'right' as someone has to pay for that service. If you want it, then get the subscription.

Another view of this would be it should be a right for ANYONE to get an unfiltered, unadulterated internet. If you have the money, you should be able to get it if the service is available where you live without being hindered.

Just my two cents.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 9:37 PM, Qapla said:

Breathing is a human right - drinking Coke is not.

Being able to move around is a human right - driving a car is a privilege, not a right.

Hearing the sounds around us is a human right - having a pair of earbuds is not.

Communication with others may be a human right, using the Internet for that purpose is not.

This explains it all. The internet can never been seen to be human in terms of our ability to afford it. I don't see the essence of trying to make it look that way where everyone should demand for it without  being ready to pay the price.