• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Carnivore and Bird Flu in Cattle?

Go to solution Solved by Geezy,

https://www.yahoo.com/news/usda-testing-ground-beef-bird-194134024.html

Check this article out from yahoo on our meat supply concerning the Bird Flu. True or False from government? Wait and see. Lets hope it is correct and the meat supply will not be affected. Does it mean ground beef is heated in any way? Anyone know truly about our eggs? Pigs? Etc. Everything we eat daily. Do we really need to over cook our meats in the future just to be safe? If anyone knows for sure about any of this please reply.

robert3322

Edited by Bob
Put the link in the body of the post so it is clickable

• Solution

I don’t believe it’s an issue. Viruses like that don’t permeate the meat to the best of my knowledge. They are a contact virus so even if there was some of the virus on the steak it would be no different than a pathogen being on the steak as it would be killed on the outside of the meat by the cooking process. This happens every day around the world. Anything on the outside dies. You’ve probably eaten thousands of dead pathogens in your life. When trichinosis was and issue in pork we had to cook it thoroughly because it did permeate the meat but that wasn’t a virus and since it’s no longer an issue in the US we can now cook our pork medium rare and it’s so much better that way.
As long as you didn’t eat it raw then it would be no problem.
Ground meat is a different issue because anything on the outside of the meat would be mixed in throughout and if not cooked to 165° it could make you sick. The thing is that for that to happen with the avian flu that meat would have to be handled by someone who had the virus and had contact with the meat while being ground up. The odds of that are mighty slim. The standard flu that makes it’s way around the US every year never affects the meat market and I doubt if the avian flu will either.
I’ve only heard of a few people who have contracted the avian flu and they were in the dairy industry in direct contact with cattle that had been infected.
Any animal that is showing any signs or symptoms of any illness cannot be slaughtered for food and dairy cattle are pulled out of production if they are sick. Livestock is tagged and so they can be traced if there is any kind of outbreak that needs to be tracked and there was new legislation that was just passed that livestock being transported across state lines must be tagged with an electronic tag for easy identification.
I’ll continue to eat my steaks rare and my burgers medium. I ain’t skeered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geezy, 

All you said is partly correct. I know before you said that you eat your own food....on your farm or land. (Great for you...but most of us eat whats avaliable from the supposed stores) Bird Flu has gone from infecting wild birds to domestic chickens and others. Then it infected mammals.......dairy cattle and is at this time is in dairy cattle....so how is it external? They are testing the meat cattle now. It seems to be in their blood and we all are mammals. Whats next? It has now started to mutate from cattle into humans....that is a little scary for me being Carnivore. Eggs ,chicken, milk, cheese......etc. For it to mutate into mammals from birds is scary. They have found it in milk which at this point is only partially found.....which cannot cause this flu. And this shows to me it is in the blood (mutations) as we are all mammals. Will this be like the Covid Research in the future?

Most flu's start to mutate infecting other species , like humans. That is the why I am unsure about all of this. Truth and lies are mixed together in the name of money. My intuition is not that accurate to see the difference. Any feedback?

I understand the skepticism and I don’t trust much when it comes to the government and medicine these days.
Everything I said was from my research and my experience. Everything I said was factual as to the available available resources I could find.
When I spoke of contact contamination I was not taking about the avian flu in particular but all viruses in general and it would still apply to the avian flu if it was surface contact contamination. That’s just basic heath science and food handling.
So far all the evidence I’ve been able to find on humans being infected with the avian flu was from surface contact with infected dairy cattle through their mucous. Any animal that has been infected is pulled from the herd and isolated from the others until it’s no longer infected.
Yes, there has been some evidence of it being found in milk but I think that I read that that was found pre-pasteurized. I haven’t seen anything stating that any was found in the stores and I have not seen anything about anyone getting sick from drinking any milk that may have been infected.
If you are that worried about it then don’t drink milk. As an adult I don’t think you should be drinking it anyways.
Avian influenza A (bird flu) viruses may be transmitted from infected birds to other animals, and potentially to humans, in two main ways:

Directly from infected birds or from avian influenza A virus-contaminated environments.
Through an intermediate host, such as another animal.
Direct infection can occur from exposure to saliva, mucous, or feces from infected birds. Bird flu infections among people are rare; however, human infections can happen when enough virus gets into a person’s eyes, nose, or mouth, or is inhaled. People with close or prolonged unprotected contact (not wearing respiratory and eye protection) with infected birds or places that sick birds or their mucous, saliva, or feces have contaminated, might be at greater risk of bird flu virus infection.

Exposure to avian influenza viruses can lead to infection and disease in humans, ranging from mild, flu-like symptoms or eye inflammation to severe, acute respiratory disease and/or death. Disease severity will depend upon the virus causing the infection and the characteristics of the infected individual. Rarely, gastrointestinal and neurological symptoms have been reported. The case fatality rate for A(H5) and A(H7N9) subtype virus infections among humans is higher than that of seasonal influenza infections.

Human infections with avian and other zoonotic influenza viruses, though rare, have been reported sporadically. Direct or indirect contact with infected animals represent a risk for human infection. Current zoonotic influenza viruses have not demonstrated sustained person-to-person transmission.

For avian influenza viruses, the primary risk factor for human infection appears to be exposure to infected live or dead poultry or contaminated environments, such as live bird markets. Slaughtering, defeathering, handling carcasses of infected poultry, and preparing poultry for consumption, especially in household settings, are also likely to be risk factors. There is no evidence to suggest that A(H5), A(H7N9) or other avian influenza viruses can be transmitted to humans through properly prepared and cooked poultry or eggs. A few influenza A(H5N1) human cases have been linked to consumption of dishes made with raw contaminated poultry blood.

The public should minimize contact with animals in areas known to be affected by animal influenza viruses, including farms and settings where live animals may be sold or slaughtered, and avoid contact with any surfaces that appear to be contaminated with animal faeces. Children, older people, pregnant and postpartum women (up to 6 weeks) or people with suppressed immune systems should neither collect eggs nor assist with slaughtering or food preparation.

The public should strictly avoid contact with sick or dead animals, including wild birds, and should report dead animals or request their removal by contacting local wildlife or veterinary authorities.

Everyone should perform hand hygiene, preferably washing their hands either with soap and running water (especially if there is visible soiling of hands) or using alcohol hand rubs, and in all cases as frequently, thoroughly and often as possible – but especially before and after contact with animals and their environments.

Everyone should practice good food safety habits: separating raw meat from cooked or ready-to-eat foods, keeping clean and washing hands, cooking food thoroughly, and handling and storing meat properly.

So, I really don’t believe you are in any danger of catching it unless you live the same lifestyle as I do. I’m probably a thousand times more likely to catch it as you are but I’m not the least bit worried about it and even if I did catch it there’s a good chance that I’d beat it easily.
I didn’t worry about the Chinese virus when everyone was going bat shite crazy over it. I never wore a mask and I never got the jab. I also don’t get flu shots.
What I do is maintain a healthy metabolism by eating carnivore. A healthy metabolism is by far the best way to prevent and fight infections and disease.

Ok, read them both and I’m not the least bit impressed or concerned. Every bit of those articles were saying “may”, “could”, everything was speculation not facts or evidence. In fact the article said “But until now, cows were not among the virus’s known hosts.”
They also stated that “US officials first announced on 25 March that H5N1 had been found in cattle, and cows from 36 herds in 9 states have tested positive as of 7 May. Tests of pasteurized milk have found no living virus. “
I’m not worried any more than I was about covid which was none. I believe that it’s just all just a bunch of hyperbole. The media are always looking for the next disaster to report on and they usually fall flat on their face or end up causing such undue panic that the sheeple all start buying up all of the toilet paper and frozen pizza.
Remember too that this is an election year so the left has to come up with something terrible to scare the sheep into trusting the government. You know, the same government that shut down this country and started its downfall and caused the deaths of so many people.
If you are that scared about it then don’t eat or drink dairy products. Don’t eat meat. Put bird netting over your house and stay indoors.
Look, if it’s going to happen then it’s going to happen and there is nothing you can do about it. It will have to run its course just like all flu viruses do. It’s the nature of things.
The smartest thing you can do is to eat a strict carnivore diet so you can be as metabolically healthy as you can be and then your body will be equipped to fight off any virus that comes along and stop stressing about it. Stressing just raises your cortisol levels and brings down your metabolism.
The media will sensationalize it. The government will use it to gain power over you. The scientific community will get it all wrong. That’s what they did before and that’s what they’ll do this time. So you can either be a sheep and believe all of that nonsense or you can be a lion and make your own decisions based on common sense and logic.
Your choice.

On 5/10/2024 at 5:33 PM, Geezy said:

Ok, read them both and I’m not the least bit impressed or concerned. Every bit of those articles were saying “may”, “could”, everything was speculation not facts or evidence. In fact the article said “But until now, cows were not among the virus’s known hosts.”
They also stated that “US officials first announced on 25 March that H5N1 had been found in cattle, and cows from 36 herds in 9 states have tested positive as of 7 May. Tests of pasteurized milk have found no living virus. “
I’m not worried any more than I was about covid which was none. I believe that it’s just all just a bunch of hyperbole. The media are always looking for the next disaster to report on and they usually fall flat on their face or end up causing such undue panic that the sheeple all start buying up all of the toilet paper and frozen pizza.
Remember too that this is an election year so the left has to come up with something terrible to scare the sheep into trusting the government. You know, the same government that shut down this country and started its downfall and caused the deaths of so many people.
If you are that scared about it then don’t eat or drink dairy products. Don’t eat meat. Put bird netting over your house and stay indoors.
Look, if it’s going to happen then it’s going to happen and there is nothing you can do about it. It will have to run its course just like all flu viruses do. It’s the nature of things.
The smartest thing you can do is to eat a strict carnivore diet so you can be as metabolically healthy as you can be and then your body will be equipped to fight off any virus that comes along and stop stressing about it. Stressing just raises your cortisol levels and brings down your metabolism.
The media will sensationalize it. The government will use it to gain power over you. The scientific community will get it all wrong. That’s what they did before and that’s what they’ll do this time. So you can either be a sheep and believe all of that nonsense or you can be a lion and make your own decisions based on common sense and logic.
Your choice.

Geezy,

You are correct at this point in time.....BUT you know the government statements are priliminary.....and maybe not so scientific as with Covid 19.

If any vius is in the blood we can get it, UNLESS we overcook all of our meat beyond what is normal for most of us. I like medium rare that is a little bloody, and liver almost rare but as you say maybe cook it well done or above 165 degrees......anything pasturized food is ok towards this virus at this point....BUT is that the Carnivore way? I am 77 and have Cancer (2nd) and have had 3 pnemonias in the near past yrs.

I am not so sure Carnivore does all of what you feel? Maybe maybe not for all of us. YES, I am a bit worried about this virus ..... I lived in Thailand for years while this virus was just beginning...it felt the same as Covid19 which we had not seen before and then the goverment went wild culling all the birds. At that time it also came from China.....and of course suppressed as best they could. At that time people were also effected but not cattle as it seems here in the USA. Most viruses mutate over time. So lets see what the future scientific research says?

Well Robert we are all different and because we all have different physiology’s and metabolic pathways this way we eat will have varying responses.
I disagree with your assessment that we can catch this virus or for that matter most viruses from eating the juices from a steak that is not well done. I personally eat mine rare to blue. I have no fear.

Blood-borne viruses are those found at levels that can be detected in an infected person’s blood. They can be passed from person to person by blood, and in some cases other bodily fluids, including semen and breast milk. They can be transmitted from an infected person by intravenous drug use, a needle stick injury with contaminated needles, blood transfusions and sexual intercourse. They can also be transmitted from mother to child, before, during or even after birth.

The most common blood borne viruses are the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. These viruses persist in the blood long-term or for life.

There are some other viruses that can show up briefly in blood, but they generally don’t persist and are not considered significant “blood-borne” pathogens. Any infectious agent with a blood-borne, or “viraemic” phase has the potential for blood borne transmission, and so may be important for blood transfusions.

For many infections, this viraemic period persists until the immune system is able to cure the infection by killing all infected cells. For some viruses, including Zika and Dengue, the viraemic phase lasts a matter of days. For other viruses such as Hepatitis B and C, or HIV, this viraemic phase persists.

If a blood-borne virus is not detectable in blood, then a person or animal is generally considered non-infectious.

In contrast, influenza, which the avian flu is categorized as, is spread by respiratory droplets. Virus particles are transmitted when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Droplets are inhaled by a new host, the virus binds to target receptors on the respiratory tract surface, and replicates in cells of the respiratory tract.

Unlike HIV, influenza cannot insert itself into the host’s genes. Instead, the immune system detects infection, turns off viral reproduction and clears infected cells. While medications are available to aid this process, they are often unnecessary, as the immune system is often able to cure influenza independently. Previous influenza infection or vaccination provides some immune memory and provides protection and faster immune clearance of the virus.

Influenza can be found in the blood for a brief period of time, particularly in severe cases, when the person is showing symptoms of flu. Although blood transfusions are not routinely tested for influenza infection, blood donors are asked not to donate if they are unwell.

From my research there has never been any evidence or documentation or even whisper of a tale that anyone has ever caught any flu virus from eating a piece of meat, raw or otherwise.

• Bob changed the title to Carnivore and Bird Flu in Cattle?