• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Exercise for new carnivores?

What are some good exercises for a new carnivore? I usually walk, and I’ve also tried dumbbells (15lbs), but then I got cramping and a headache lol! Suggestions please!

For context, I’m a 30 something mom, who used to exercise a lot before kids. Now I’m pretty sedentary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably more of a matter of getting back into the habit, the swing of things.

I walk a decent amount, participating in the local hiking sprees or even just walking the dog. I try to sprint when I can. I also use dumbbells and do push-ups and crunches. I recently bought a treadmill but I haven't set it up yet, but I want to get my heart a-thumpin' more.

I really want to get a weighted vest and go rucking (basically means walking wearing weights).

One of the first things I discovered about carnivore and another reason why I love it is that it doesn’t require exercise to work. In a world where every health advocate preaches exercise as being mandatory for weight loss, carnivore rails against the norm and wins.
One of the wonderful benefits of carnivore though is that it makes you want to be more active. As you heal you feel better and have more energy and in my case a renewed commitment to improving my health in every way.
I was so wracked with pain and malnourished that I couldn’t do much and so initially I didn’t do any kind of exercise but the healing continued and the weight fell off. To me this dispels the notion that exercise is essential to weight loss. But as I healed and my energy increased I just couldn’t help myself, I had to exercise. It just felt good. I used to be a gym rat but my failing heath made me stop and exercise was doing nothing to help me because it was all diet related.
Here in a little bit I’ll finish up my morning chores and then I’ll go for a three mile walk. Not that I need to but because I want to.
I think that a brisk walk is the absolute best exercise you can do for yourself. Sprinting, if you can do it which I can’t, would be next and straining your muscles by lifting weights or using rubber bands (which is what I use) is next.
None of it has to be intense unless there’s a goal your trying to achieve. I’m trying to strengthen my shoulders so I did some shoulder workouts yesterday that have me sore today. My goal is to get over a hurt shoulder (rotator cuff) and see if I can get strong enough to pull my bow for next deer season.
It doesn’t matter if you do exercise but it is good for you and will make you feel better and it doesn’t matter what exercise you do just as long as your moving.

Yes, keep on with the weights. So important for women over 30. When you do lose weight, you've got something nice waiting for you. Make sure you got enough water, electrolytes, etc. Losing weight is one thing, losing fat is a much better option. We do not want to lose muscle, for metabolic health, bone and joint health. Carnivore provides the required protein to do such things. 

On 6/5/2024 at 11:00 AM, Geezy said:

One of the first things I discovered about carnivore and another reason why I love it is that it doesn’t require exercise to work. In a world where every health advocate preaches exercise as being mandatory for weight loss, carnivore rails against the norm and wins.
One of the wonderful benefits of carnivore though is that it makes you want to be more active. As you heal you feel better and have more energy and in my case a renewed commitment to improving my health in every way.
I was so wracked with pain and malnourished that I couldn’t do much and so initially I didn’t do any kind of exercise but the healing continued and the weight fell off. To me this dispels the notion that exercise is essential to weight loss. But as I healed and my energy increased I just couldn’t help myself, I had to exercise. It just felt good. I used to be a gym rat but my failing heath made me stop and exercise was doing nothing to help me because it was all diet related.
Here in a little bit I’ll finish up my morning chores and then I’ll go for a three mile walk. Not that I need to but because I want to.
I think that a brisk walk is the absolute best exercise you can do for yourself. Sprinting, if you can do it which I can’t, would be next and straining your muscles by lifting weights or using rubber bands (which is what I use) is next.
None of it has to be intense unless there’s a goal your trying to achieve. I’m trying to strengthen my shoulders so I did some shoulder workouts yesterday that have me sore today. My goal is to get over a hurt shoulder (rotator cuff) and see if I can get strong enough to pull my bow for next deer season.
It doesn’t matter if you do exercise but it is good for you and will make you feel better and it doesn’t matter what exercise you do just as long as your moving.

Exercise is not mandatory for weight loss, true enough, it all happens in the kitchen. But exercise is a must for overall health. Bands are great for rotator cuff injuries, do a standing row, a pull back with bands, make sure your thumbs point backwards, and your elbows are at the height of your shoulders, make sure your shoulders are not rounded forward when you do that exercise. Another good exercise is a lateral pull down, it can also be done with bands. Bands provide constant resistance, but are not hard on you. Move ever so slowly. 

On 6/5/2024 at 7:45 AM, Bob said:

It's probably more of a matter of getting back into the habit, the swing of things.

I walk a decent amount, participating in the local hiking sprees or even just walking the dog. I try to sprint when I can. I also use dumbbells and do push-ups and crunches. I recently bought a treadmill but I haven't set it up yet, but I want to get my heart a-thumpin' more.

I really want to get a weighted vest and go rucking (basically means walking wearing weights).

I am here to shame you into using that treadmill. I won't stop until you do lol

Exercise is not mandatory for weight loss, true enough, it all happens in the kitchen. But exercise is a must for overall health. Bands are great for rotator cuff injuries, do a standing row, a pull back with bands, make sure your thumbs point backwards, and your elbows are at the height of your shoulders, make sure your shoulders are not rounded forward when you do that exercise. Another good exercise is a lateral pull down, it can also be done with bands. Bands provide constant resistance, but are not hard on you. Move ever so slowly. 

I absolutely agree that exercise is important for overall health.
I have bands an do those very exercise’s you recommend.
After three rotator cuff tears and one complete rotator cuff separation resulting in two surgical repairs and one partial rebuild I’ve become well versed in the rehab exercises.
You sound as though you are a physical therapist.

7 hours ago, Geezy said:

I absolutely agree that exercise is important for overall health.
I have bands an do those very exercise’s you recommend.
After three rotator cuff tears and one complete rotator cuff separation resulting in two surgical repairs and one partial rebuild I’ve become well versed in the rehab exercises.
You sound as though you are a physical therapist.

And sometimes, I sound like a car salesman haha. With 31 years of chronic pain, one becomes an expert. 

And sometimes, I sound like a car salesman haha. With 31 years of chronic pain, one becomes an expert. 

Oh please don’t think I was acting as though you were preaching to me or anything like that. I appreciate any advice given. You are obviously very knowledgeable and I appreciate all of your insightful posts. You are a valuable asset around here.

20 hours ago, Geezy said:

Oh please don’t think I was acting as though you were preaching to me or anything like that. I appreciate any advice given. You are obviously very knowledgeable and I appreciate all of your insightful posts. You are a valuable asset around here.

I know it was all good, and thank you. Chronic pain will have you act before you have no choice, most people act when they have no other choice. To feel like 65 at 17 has led me to feel like 30 at 49.