• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Using an Air Fryer

Have you used an air fryer? How do you like it? How often do you use it? Is there anything particular you have found you really like about using one?

Here is something I have found:

I can take a chicken breast that is thawed just enough to get a knife through it, slice it or cut it into pieces, season it and cook it in the air fryer and have it ready to eat in less than 10 minutes. I turn the air fryer on to "air fry" at 400º While it is preheating, I cut the chicken and season it. I place it in the fryer set for 8 minutes. During the cook, I shake the basket to stir the pieces around. At the end of the 8 minutes it is all the way done but not dried out.

Seasoning will vary depending on what I feel like using.

Honestly, I don't have much air fryer experience. We have a little one that is barely used, and when I did use it, I was still eating things like tater tots and pizza rolls. Since I started eating Keto and then eventually Ketovre/Carnivore I haven't touched the air fryer.

However, I have read some comments from other people who say they cook steaks in an air fryer and they turn out well. I would have never thought that you could cook real actual meat in an air fryer, aside from wings. I think in my mind air fryer was just a substitute for a deep fryer, sans the oil. So you talking about cooking chicken breast in one is something I need to try as well.

I'll probably experiment more with it in the winter. Summer is for grillin' 😄

16 hours ago, Bob said:

I think in my mind air fryer was just a substitute for a deep fryer, sans the oil.

An air fryer is more akin to a convection oven with a turbo. It uses air driven dry heat to cook the food and, since the food is confined to a smaller space than a cook stove oven, the air circulation is much more vigorous as it surrounds the food.

Although many recipes call for using a small amount of oil of the food, it is not required.

Pork and chicken cook quite well in an air fryer. Personally, I have not had the same success with beef - but then, I haven't cooked that much beef in ours - we usually use the grill or the stove.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This little one that we have doesn't have a temperature setting. Just a dial for the timer. So for me, it's hard to cook if I don't know how hot the thing is going to get. That's why I want to go and get a nicer one.

The wife and kids use it occasionally for chicken nuggets, lol.

We have an "Instant Vortex" air fryer

image.png.9404075f33ef7ed98f09f4fdf88f95a2.png

It seems to work quite well. As you can see, you can set the time and/or temperature. Although I have read and seen video telling you to cook chicken wings a few at a time (single layer in the basket), I found that I can dump a generous batch of wings in the basket and, as long as I shake them several times while cooking, that all come out perfectly cooked. I learned how to do this from a YouTube video where the guy was disproving the "single layer" myth.

I will say, a batch of wings takes longer in the air fryer than it does in a deep fryer - but it is way less messy and doesn't waste any oil ... and seems toa little quicker than cooking them in the oven.

I can cook a boneless, skinless chicken breast from frozen to properly cooked in about 12 minutes. If it is thawed, it only takes about 8 minutes.

I’ve seen a lot of carnivores on utube using them with good results. I like to have one to try but I don’t have enough space now for all the cooking gadgets I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk