• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Should I take supplements?

It's been 34 days since I started, I had a few ups and downs in terms of feeling because of low-quality meat and the wrong ratio of beef to fat.
Now I feel amazing compared to before starting, I kept an eye on this diet for over a year, never imagined it could actually have these crazy results.

Anyway, I eat about 1kg ground beef 70/30 a day with 4-5 eggs, I will slow-cook brisket or asado and have it for a day or two.
So, should I add any supplements? I bought Redmond real salt and I have imalaya pink salt.
I understood that maybe I should add omega 3 and omega 6, maybe salmon oil - I have sensitive eyes and chronic problems, and I read that it can help
Also, I saw people recommending cod liver oil or pills.
And I saw a bunch of stuff like collagen, multi-vitamin, etc...

From your experience, do you have any supplements to recommend that will make me feel even better?
maybe will help with my eyes or problems in my neck and cervical myelopathy(I have electric pulses going around my arms and legs)? or sacroelitis? all that was caused by a car accident.
Thanks in advance.

I think it’s all going to depend on your individual needs. I think only a good nutritionist who is well versed in carnivore could advise you.
Most of the carnivore doctors I listen to say that if you are eating enough fatty meat then you should be getting all the nutrients that you need except maybe salt. But they also say that everyone is different and have different needs. No one size fits all when it comes to nutrition.
I do take some supplements to help with some of my health issues. I have atrial fibrillation so because I’m at a greater risk of stroke I take and aspirin a day to keep my blood thin. I also take CoQ10 for heart health.
I take vitamin D 3 because I don’t get enough sun since I rarely spend time outside half naked.
I take a magnesium complex for multiple reasons, among them heart and muscle health as well as some bowel issues.
I don’t have a gallbladder and my body just doesn’t seem to process my food normally so I tend to get constipated. I’m still trying to get this issue figured out so I have to try different things and give them time to see if they work.
I take ELMT everyday because I believe I need the added sodium, magnesium and potassium. They seem to help me with my blood pressure, stamina and recovery from my walks and working around my farm.
Do your research and talk to some online carnivore doctors and see what the might recommend for your individual needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Matan1262 said:

Anyway, I eat about 1kg ground beef 70/30 a day with 4-5 eggs, I will slow-cook brisket or asado and have it for a day or two.
So, should I add any supplements? I bought Redmond real salt and I have imalaya pink salt.
I understood that maybe I should add omega 3 and omega 6, maybe salmon oil

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

Most of the carnivore doctors I listen to say that if you are eating enough fatty meat then you should be getting all the nutrients that you need

Geoff is correct here, Matan. If you are eating primarily fatty ruminant meat and eggs, you are getting everything you need. You could take an omega-3 supplement, but it would be better to add fatty fish like salmon or sardines once a week. I wouldn't worry about the omega-6 but you can get a little extra with some pork or poultry. And rather than taking a multivitamin, have some beef liver. 

In short, most supplements like the ones you mentioned aren't going to harm or hinder you. At worst you might just be wasting your money.

I supplement with D3, Omega-3, CoQ10, Niacin and magnesium, because of my kidney disease I struggle to maintain those in their proper balance.

4 hours ago, Matan1262 said:

maybe will help... cervical myelopathy

I looked this up just now. According to this published study creatine and B12 were beneficial, but you are getting loads of both of those on your carnivore diet. 

Hopefully with time, those issues either alleviate or resolve. You may notice a difference after 90 or 180 days. Let's hope so with eagerness 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Orweller said:

Considering Vitamin K2 if I find I don't get enough from sources. 

Ah, I forgot that one. I take K2 because I heard it pairs well with D3 and promotes bone health, and I broke my ankle earlier in the year.

So I take 5000 IU's of D3, Omega-3, and 500mg of Niacin with Lunch and then again at Dinner.
At dinner I also add the CoQ10 and the K2 to the above.

At bedtime I take my magnesium so i don't get leg cramps.

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

Ah, I forgot that one. I take K2 because I heard it pairs well with D3 and promotes bone health, and I broke my ankle earlier in the year.

So I take 5000 IU's of D3, Omega-3, and 500mg of Niacin with Lunch and then again at Dinner.
At dinner I also add the CoQ10 and the K2 to the above.

At bedtime I take my magnesium so i don't get leg cramps.

I figured with the amount of eggs I eat now so all of the sudden, vitamin K2 will be present in my diet. A low-lactose, hard cheese will do the same. And how I do love liver. 

Vitamin K2 can be quite harmful when taken too much (blood clots, liver problems). One of the few vitamins you do not want to overdose on. Hence I do not worry about vitamin K2 for now.

By the way, magnesium also great taken with D3.  

For these reasons I will never ever take multi-vitamins. That's Pandora's box right there.