• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

After helping my sister in law at her restaurant cutting ribeyes out of rib roasts , eight of them, I ended up with four, one gallon bags of fat trimmings.

Time to render that fat down for wonderful tallow.

b79cecc0dd1c0847098aeff7e529ae18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. I just finished a jar of store-bought beef tallow. It's actually kinda pricey.

I am curious about the process. Do you just heat it and let it liquefy, and then pour it through a strainer to remove any solids?

Pretty much Bob.
I’ve got another batch going today.
I beef fat trimmings, usually from a brisket but this time from ribeye trimmings, cut them up into half inch to one inch chunks. Put them in a large pot and turn the heat in low. I like to keep the temperature around 200°. I want to render not cook the fat. I’m using a non stick pot which helps with keeping the fat pieces from sticking but it still needs to be stirred often.
This takes hours to do.
When the fat pieces turn brown and it look like all the tallow is rendered out then I put a large strainer over a smaller pot with some paper towel in the strainer for a filter. I dump the liquid tallow and fat pieces into the strainer. I give it some time to finish dripping and then pour the beautiful liquid tallow into mason jars and put them in the fridge. The rendered out fat pieces will be put into baggies and refrigerated. I like to put them in scrambled eggs for a little fat bomb and I’ll give some to my dogs for treats.

I’ll continue this thread with pictures as I finish this batch.

At about 8.5 hour it’s done.
c7eaa9927ad82ec998dd0190e42254b3.jpg

Now to strain the liquid gold from the rendered fat bits.
c152732774062f475e6cf3faf458d5f7.jpg

And the finished product. Beautiful nutritious tallow and little fat bombs that will go great in my scrambled eggs and treats for my dogs.
23a120517a68ed6ebac4408dbec8128a.jpg

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

And the finished product. Beautiful nutritious tallow and little fat bombs that will go great in my scrambled eggs and treats for my dogs.

Nice. Nothing goes to waste 🙂

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

I think I’ve got enough tallow to last a [while]

I'd say so. My store bought jar lasted me at least a month, I think. I still cook a lot in butter though as well.

Do you keep it in the freezer or fridge?
Can it last like butter in the fridge?

At room temperature it will last 12 months.
It will last up to 18 months in the fridge and I’ve heard as long as 2 years.
It will last over 2 years in the freezer with no problems.

I’m freezing 6 jars. 3 jars will go in the fridge and one jar will stay out on the counter at room temp for cooking. It’s much easier to use when it’s soft.
I also don’t refrigerate the butter that I’m using, only if I’m storing it. I use salted butter and it keeps just fine at room temp.

On 12/9/2023 at 3:45 PM, Geezy said:

At room temperature it will last 12 months.
It will last up to 18 months in the fridge and I’ve heard as long as 2 years.
It will last over 2 years in the freezer with no problems.

I’m freezing 6 jars. 3 jars will go in the fridge and one jar will stay out on the counter at room temp for cooking. It’s much easier to use when it’s soft.
I also don’t refrigerate the butter that I’m using, only if I’m storing it. I use salted butter and it keeps just fine at room temp.

Geezy you are a pure genius! this tastes amazing! for me it took close to 10 hours, the fat bombs will be a treat for me not the dogs haha, my dog eat carnivore as well by the way, did her wonders.
How much time can the fat bombs be stored in the fridge?

image.thumb.jpeg.3e357be6b6b16d3b9060507558c9f43f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.21e66bfc87bd223770a4d69ce94012d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2c806494402204e573bbe21015c50ebb.jpeg

Geezy you are a pure genius!
How much time can the fat bombs be stored in the fridge?

No genius on my part here brother, that’s just “Old School” as our forefathers did it. I love the old ways of being self sufficient.

I really don’t know how long the fat bombs will last but I figure since they are just pure fat that they’ll last quite a while.
If I’ve got a bunch I’ll bag them up in one or two cup servings and freeze them and keep one in the fridge to use as needed.
I like heating them up in the skillet and mixing them with scrambled eggs and their pretty good for quenching a craving if one comes along. Heat a few up and put a little salt on them.