• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Other sausage makers/grinders?

Are there any other members who make their own sausage and grind their own meat?  My wife and I have made our own sausage, loose and cased for a while. We like knowing exactly what is in our sausage, and eating the flesh from fewer total animals. We also grind all our own burger and cure and smoke our own bacon from pork bellies.  Just curious if there are any fellow keto folks here that also roll their own?

Our friend @Steven2023 has said he makes his own sausages. I don't know how or what he uses though. I tagged him so maybe he'll chime in when he can. 

10 hours ago, Bob said:

maybe he'll chime in

I started making my own sausages a while ago, kind of a hobby. I found some sausage-making influencers on YT, some of which are butchers by trade in Germany. The have lots of recipes and are easy to follow. I bought a big meat grinder and a 15-pound capacity sausage stuffer as well. With those two items, I can make most anything in conjunction with my pellet smoker/grill.

Ingredients? It depends on the sausage really. For a typical German style white bratwurst, it would be 70% pork shoulder and 30% pork belly. The seasonings would be the other ingredients. Some sausages call for binders and there are a lot of options for binders of which I can choose the one(s) that are carnivore friendly.

Some sausages are quite easy to make. Then, when you get into drying and fermentation, it's more advanced. If you don't have a meat grinder or stuffer, you can still 'try out' making your own sausage meat. Find an easy recipe and buy the meat pre-ground at the store. Mix it up with the required seasoning and form into sausage patties; for instance, breakfast sausage. If you like what you have made, you can always invest in a good grinder and stuffer later.

I hope my 'chime' was informative enough. 😄

1 hour ago, Steven2023 said:

I started making my own sausages a while ago, kind of a hobby. I found some sausage-making influencers on YT, some of which are butchers by trade in Germany. The have lots of recipes and are easy to follow. I bought a big meat grinder and a 15-pound capacity sausage stuffer as well. With those two items, I can make most anything in conjunction with my pellet smoker/grill.

Ingredients? It depends on the sausage really. For a typical German style white bratwurst, it would be 70% pork shoulder and 30% pork belly. The seasonings would be the other ingredients. Some sausages call for binders and there are a lot of options for binders of which I can choose the one(s) that are carnivore friendly.

Some sausages are quite easy to make. Then, when you get into drying and fermentation, it's more advanced. If you don't have a meat grinder or stuffer, you can still 'try out' making your own sausage meat. Find an easy recipe and buy the meat pre-ground at the store. Mix it up with the required seasoning and form into sausage patties; for instance, breakfast sausage. If you like what you have made, you can always invest in a good grinder and stuffer later.

I hope my 'chime' was informative enough. 😄

Those "Deutsche" know how to make a sausage.  

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

I make my own liverwurst, does that count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sure does. I've seen several different recipes that are liver based or contain liver. I plan on making some pretty soon.