• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

I'm starting to wonder if carnivore is actually cheaper.  The last 2 times I went to the grocery store, I spent noticeably less money.  I think it's because I'm not blowing all my money on convenience foods maybe.  

Yes, steak is expensive, but I bought the whole rib on sale and cut them up into individual ribeye steaks and that's lasting.  I've started saving my bacon grease to fry my eggs in.  Before I was using ghee and that's rather pricey.   I chose the bacon with the less expensive cut at Walmart and it's just as tasty to me.

You are absolutely correct. While meat in general is costlier it’s less expensive at the checkout counter because we are no longer buying all of the junk/non-food items that we used to.
I feel for the families who only have one carnivore in the group and so there is the added expense of the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I am saving a ton of money since switching to carnivore. Things like bread and pasta may be cheaper, but when I ate it I was a bottomless pit because it didn't satiate me for very long at all. Deli meats are about double what fresh meat, so those sandwiches were actually pretty expensive. This doesn't even take into consideration the lettuce, tomato, and condiments that would go on it too. My previous diet I could eat 4-6 times per day. Now I am 2, sometimes 3 and that's it.

The "per pound" price for cereal vs meat is very similar. But calorie for calorie, the meat is way more rich, nutrient dense, and able to make me last much longer until my next meal. The hyper-palatable ultra-processed food just had me munching non-stop, filling Big Food's coffers 😕

I have also noted that I'm spending less eating carnivore. Plus, making my own sausage saves some money, too. I doing some market research in purchasing more bulk items to save a little more over time. Does anyone buy their meat through a subscription type delivery service, i.e. places like Omaha Meats?

I currently get most of my meat at Sam's Club. I save several dollars per pound vs the grocery store, except on holidays when the grocery store will have a massive discount sale.

There is also a local meat/butcher/rancher that I occasionally visit for some rare tasty meats.

44 minutes ago, Bob said:

local meat/butcher/rancher

We have some of those around here but they're not always around. Saturday mornings the come to the marketplace here in town. I should check and see if they have bulk prices. They would rather sell a whole beef, but that is an expensive one-time hit. It is probably cheaper in the long run though.

They would rather sell a whole beef, but that is an expensive one-time hit. It is probably cheaper in the long run though.

Maybe you could find someone to go halves with you or even a couple more to go quarters.

28 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Maybe you could find someone to go halves with you or even a couple more to go quarters.

We had talked about it in the past, but the interest fizzled out. But now that I'm carnivore, we'll have to renew that effort.

3 hours ago, Steven2023 said:

They would rather sell a whole beef, but that is an expensive one-time hit. It is probably cheaper in the long run though.

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

The place near me is called Duma's Meats...

https://www.dumameats.com/

They sell them as sides and quarters for as little as $3.79 per pound. Granted, you buy 300-400 pounds at once, but that price can't be beat.

I would need a chest freezer though, lol. 

10 hours ago, Bob said:

The place near me is called Duma's Meats...

https://www.dumameats.com/

They sell them as sides and quarters for as little as $3.79 per pound. Granted, you buy 300-400 pounds at once, but that price can't be beat.

I would need a chest freezer though, lol. 

☹️ You are very fortunate that they are near you. They have a lot of good products there. However, they do not offer shipping at this time.