• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

I understand that Macademia nuts are plant based, but they are a high fat food with minimal anti-nutrients. I have a hard time eating a 1.5 fat to protein ratio without supplementing with Macademia nuts. I don't particularly like very fatty meat and have  a hard time digesting dairy. Macademia nuts make it easy. About 12 nuts have 22 gram of fat. I also think about adding Avocados, since it is also a high fat, low in anti-nutrition food. Can anybody think of a good reason why not to add Macademia nuts and Avocados to one's daily food, other than it not being an animal product? Thank you

Eat what you want as long as it doesn’t affect your health and or weight. Foods affect us all differently depending on where we are at metabolically. They are low in carbohydrates and high in fat so they are definitely the better choice.
Personally I will not eat any nut of any kind because it is a seed and I will not consume seeds. If you tolerate them then enjoy them. Because of their high fat content they may be less bad that other nuts. I don’t believe fats from plants are as good as fats from animals but I have no proof to back that up either.
Often I hear from people that say they don’t like to eat fat but I wonder if they are talking about just eating gobs of fat on a steak or pork or are they talking about rendered fat as well.
If you don’t like to just eat a chin of fat like what’s on your meat, you can increase your fat intake by just cooking your food in tallow, lard, ghee or butter. Put a couple of pats of butter on your steak. Put some butter in your coffee or tea and emulsify it in. Just a thought.
Good luck and good carnivore health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Tore said:

I understand that Macademia nuts are plant based, but they are a high fat food with minimal anti-nutrients. I have a hard time eating a 1.5 fat to protein ratio without supplementing with Macademia nuts. I don't particularly like very fatty meat and have  a hard time digesting dairy. Macademia nuts make it easy. About 12 nuts have 22 gram of fat. I also think about adding Avocados, since it is also a high fat, low in anti-nutrition food. Can anybody think of a good reason why not to add Macademia nuts and Avocados to one's daily food, other than it not being an animal product? Thank you

First of, avocado is amazing. I think both macadamia nuts and avocado can be useful as a supplement. So long as your body responds favorably to it. For some nuts still antagonizes or encourages inflammation. The question really is, whether you have an auto-immune condition, etc. If you don't, a "dirty" carnivore diet can do no harm, it still beats the standard American diet, or average western diet by miles. Only be a purist if you have to, if you indeed have an extreme auto-immune response to plant based foods. 

13 hours ago, Tore said:

Can anybody think of a good reason why not to add Macademia nuts and Avocados to one's daily food, other than it not being an animal product?

This comes down to your personal physiology and how you react to them. Out of all the nut options out there, macadamia nuts have extremely low phytic acid, oxalates or lectins. Their defenses come from having the hardest nutshell in the world, instead of in the form of toxins and anti-nutrients. If you are going to eat a nut, this is the nut for you, lol. Avocados tell the same story. The nutrition in both of these is pretty bioavailable for humans too.

I think they are both toxic to dogs (I would have to look it up) so there's definitely something in them, but humans in general can eat them just fine. But again, it comes down to you. If you aren't having any negative reactions (inflammation, skin rashes, bloating, gas, weight loss stalls, etc) then you can probably continue to enjoy them.

But keep watch on your portions as you have been doing. Macadamia nuts can be highly palatable, and once you pop you can't stop, lol.