• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hi all,

So its been about 4 months since I started, i didnt touch dairy and Now I eant to tey and introduce it.

From my understanding i need raw dairy products which means non pasteurized.

Problem is in my country its illegal to sell non pasteurized dairy products.

This sucks, im trying to find a local farm to try and buy raw dairy from.

I was wondering if pasteurized dairy is ok to consume, I know it impacts the good nutrition in them which sucks.

There are a few allowed pasteurized methods, some are low temp for a long periods and some high temps for a few seconds which result in a longer shelf life.

What would you recommend to do in my situation?

@Geezy

@Bob

@Orweller

I use pasteurized dairy. In small amounts. In fact I prefer it. I see no problem with it. I use heavy whipping cream for my coffee and cheese when I need a quick snack or some extra fat. Pasteurized. The carnivore police hasn't arrested me yet lol. I know it can be a controversial topic, but I just don't feel like chasing perfection, in such manner, that it will make me lose the plot. We eat carnivore to be healthier. Milk, or cream, or cheese in small amounts should be no problem. 

The pasteurized dairy will be fine. I know people like Paul Saladino say it's better and I am sure that it is. During the process of cooking out any bacteria you also break down some of the nutritional value, but there will still be nutrients in there. And all the fats and proteins you would want are still there too.

I wouldn't over think it. You won't be harming yourself in any way. I use cream, cheese, butter, and ghee all the time from pasteurized sources and it my mostly carnivore diet is doing great.

If you can tolerate dairy and it isn’t a trigger food that causes you to have cravings and over indulge then it shouldn’t be a problem. Just introduce it slowly. Eat some and then wait for at least 3 days and see if there are any changes. If not, do it again and see what happens. If you’re in tune with your body you’ll know whether you can handle it or not.
I personally would not ingest dairy in the form of milk. I’m in the camp that once we are into adulthood it just just isn’t needed in our diets. But with that being said, I do eat cheese, sour cream and yogurt but only whole milk or heavy cream.
I make my own yogurt out of heavy cream. It’s delicious.
Don’t concern yourself with raw dairy especially if it’s not legal. Pasteurized is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it guys, so pasteurized is just fine, thanks for the info.
In terms of dairy products, which should I try And which should I stay away from?
[mention=2]Bob[/mention]
[mention=79]Geezy[/mention]
[mention=148]Orweller[/mention]

Stay away from any dairy that is labeled skim, partially skim, 2%. You only use full fat or whole milk products. It’s also said to not use Ultra Pasteurized milk but I’ve never seen any of that in the stores.
What we are wanting to consume in the dairy products is the fat. If the dairy is labeled skim then the fat has been removed and all that is left is the lactose and lactose is just sugar.
Cream, whole milk cheese and fermented dairy are ok to eat.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:30 PM, Matan1262 said:

In terms of dairy products, which should I try And which should I stay away from?

@Geezy summed it well. Cream, butter, ghee, cheese, will typically have 0 carbs. Yogurt and milk will have some carbs due to the lactose (milk sugar) found in cow's milk. But if you are metabolically healthy and just wanting to eat a carnivore or animal-based diet without necessarily trying to be in ketosis every minute of every day, then you the lactose is a non-issue.

I have a local farm nearby but they have goat dairy - they are left free in the wild and eat the grass which sounds great.

- They have whole milk and yogurt, half hard, and hard cheese.
- They don't have any additives like sweeteners, the pasteurize temp is 80c

Is goat dairy ok?

If so, what should I try out of what they offer?

@Bob @Geezy @Orweller @John

I have a local farm nearby but they have goat dairy - they are left free in the wild and eat the grass which sounds great.

Is goat dairy ok?

[mention=2]Bob[/mention] [mention=79]Geezy[/mention] [mention=148]Orweller[/mention] [mention=21]John[/mention]

I would think it’s all good to try. I’ve had goat cheese and I like it better than bovine cheese.

3 hours ago, Matan1262 said:

Is goat dairy ok?

@Bob @Geezy @Orweller @John

Hell yeah on the goat dairy, even better I say!

On 1/15/2024 at 10:40 PM, Matan1262 said:

Is goat dairy ok?

The protein in goat milk is supposedly less inflammatory, for some people than the protein in cows milk. I'm one of those people and was tying to find goat cheese for a long time, then found some last week.

I can't handle A1 cow milk and have to use A2, otherwise I get constant sinus inflammation.

Raw milk is also illegal here in Australia where I live.  I used to buy raw milk that was sold as a cosmetic product, called bath milk, but then our government made that illegal to sell too ☹️ I'm not a fan of increasing control and restrictions (for my safety)  and prefer having the freedom to make my own decisions about my health.

Interesting. The Ohio Revised Code states....

No raw milk retailer shall sell, offer for sale, or expose for sale raw milk to the ultimate consumer except a raw milk retailer who, prior to October 31, 1965, was engaged continuously in the business of selling or offering for sale raw milk directly to ultimate consumers, holds a valid raw milk retailer license issued under section 917.09 of the Revised Code, and is subject to the rules regulating the sale of raw milk adopted under this chapter.

So if someone was a Raw Milk dealer prior to 1965, they can keep dealing in raw milk.

According to the website you provided....

Raw milk sales are techically legal. However, the law requires that vendors have been continuously selling raw milk since before October 31, 1965, and no vendors in the state meet that requirement, according to the National Council of State Legislatures.

I believe it. 

Milk isn't my thing, so I don't really care. I heard it's illegal because it milk companies would have to enforce higher sanitary standards at their facilities. Easier to boil out the germs than practice safe handling. I don't know if that's quite the truth or not though.

It’s legal here in Texas and I have a raw milk producer about 20 miles from me and I intend to stop in there one of these days.
I don’t drink milk because I’m in the camp that believes it’s just not a necessary food after childhood.
I want to get some for making yogurt and to see if that dairy offers any cheeses.

I like raw milk(and pasteurized) and I was buying it for a while.  I didn't like it as a kid, but I've grown to like it.  I had to quit drinking it though, because it does nothing for me when it comes to losing weight.

Here in Florida, they have to label it as food for animals.