• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hi guys

Even before starting carnivore i stopped with alcohol.

I have some family events soon and I might drink a bit.

I was wondering which alcohol is less problematic.

I have araak that my grandfather made years ago, its 60% without editives.

Beer/wine/whiskey/vodka?

Beer ( as much as I love a good dark beer or ale) is bad. Very high in carbs.
Wine is bad. Too much sugars.
Whiskey neat is best.
Be aware though that having been away from it for awhile you may be more sensitive to its effects.
Also be ready for any repercussions you may get from your body not liking what you did to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drink, on average, once every month or two. It will usually be a shot or two of Kentucky bourbon. I avoid beer and wine at all costs for the reasons that @Geezy listed. Beer is grain, wine is sugar. But all your hard liqueurs have zero carbs, such as pure and neat Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka, and Rum. 

You'll be kicked out of ketosis until you metabolize the alcohol, and then you will return to that state. The body will burn alcohol before carbs, and carbs before fat.

Now I did have wine last night because we celebrated our anniversary. But that was an exception for a special occasion and I'm not the type of person who will backslide from my general dietary lifestyle just because I treated myself last night. If you have the same willpower and resolve, then you could probably drink whatever you want knowing it will be forever and a day till you do it again.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I drink, on average, once every month or two. It will usually be a shot or two of Kentucky bourbon. I avoid beer and wine at all costs for the reasons that @Geezy listed. Beer is grain, wine is sugar. But all your hard liqueurs have zero carbs, such as pure and neat Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka, and Rum. 

You'll be kicked out of ketosis until you metabolize the alcohol, and then you will return to that state. The body will burn alcohol before carbs, and carbs before fat.

Now I did have wine last night because we celebrated our anniversary. But that was an exception for a special occasion and I'm not the type of person who will backslide from my general dietary lifestyle just because I treated myself last night. If you have the same willpower and resolve, then you could probably drink whatever you want knowing it will be forever and a day till you do it again.

Even dry red wine? And what about arak?

Its 40-60% alcohol, no additives, dont think it has suger but not sure

16 hours ago, Matan1262 said:

Even dry red wine?

It's made from grapes so I assume it has naturally occurring sugars in it (but not refined sugar, like cane sugar).

Even dry red wine? And what about arak?
Its 40-60% alcohol, no additives, dont think it has suger but not sure

Yes, even dry red wine. From what I’ve read it has less sugars therefore it’s less bad but it’s still not good.
When I started carnivore I quit drinking. Since then my desire for alcohol has diminished greatly but in Veterans Day I had a nice Irish neat to toast my brothers. It sat well with me. Then a few weeks ago I shared a nice Cabernet with my wife and it did not sit good with me at all. I was miserable the next day and felt the effects for two more.
Then last night I had two fingers of Irish for our anniversary and that’s sitting well with me.
So my takeaway from this experimentation is that my body is sensitive to wine but not whiskey. I haven’t tried beer yet and don’t know if I ever will. Might be bold talk from this German.
But my biggest takeaway is that I’ve come to realize that I just don’t need it. At home or social setting it just doesn’t matter anymore. It provides no nutritional value to my body. I’ve also noticed that one is all I want.
Now that doesn’t mean I’ll not have another whisky, I like a good Scotch or Irish, but it’s going to be for just special occasions and not just for the sake of drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk