• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Just wanted to tell you thanks for turning me on to the Carb Manager App. As much as I hate to track and record things like my eating it’s proving to be a valuable tool.

I was curious about my fat to protein ratio and I’m pleased that most of my calories are coming from fat. Anywhere from 60-70%.

It has also shown me the amount of hidden carbs that I’ve started allowing back into my diet. That’s going to stop immediately.

But most of all it’s shown me that I have a calorie deficit. Not cool. I need to step that up.

I can see that this app will be a good tool to help me learn how to refine my diet.

Thanks again buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a very useful app. I don't use it all the time. I get bored of logging after a while, and since I am a creature of habit and eat the same basic things I don't see the need. I did not track anything for almost all of my carnivore journey until I had that triglyceride scare in October. Then I used it to make sure I was getting the right amount of fat-to-protein, since this was one of my theories as to what might have been going on (which I ended up disproving).

I will probably start logging again in March. That's when the weather starts to improve, and is when I plan to really buckle down to get my last few stubborn pounds off. 

3 hours ago, Orweller said:

I'm a big proponent of documenting food intake, what's the trouble if you only eat once or twice? 

It's my own forgetfulness, which then leads to passiveness, lol. 

I agree that logging is great. I usually have more success losing weight when I am tracking everything religiously.

11 hours ago, Bob said:

It's my own forgetfulness, which then leads to passiveness, lol. 

I agree that logging is great. I usually have more success losing weight when I am tracking everything religiously.

It's like the old days when you used to keep your check book, or it's like budgeting. You'll spend more wisely. Same with eating, the awareness itself makes you be more conscious about eating habits and teaches you about the food you eat and what it does. It really doesn't take that much time, we all got phones. It doesn't have to be perfect either, just ballpark it. 

On 1/29/2024 at 10:56 AM, Geezy said:

It has also shown me the amount of hidden carbs that I’ve started allowing back into my diet. That’s going to stop immediately.

Hi Geoff. 

May I ask - what are those "hidden carbs"? 

Trying to heal metabolic issues, and I'd like to avoid mistakes as I begin the Carnivore lifestyle. 

Thanks!

LynnD 

On 1/29/2024 at 5:31 PM, Bob said:

I used it to make sure I was getting the right amount of fat-to-protein, since this was one of my theories as to what might have been going on (which I ended up disproving).

Hello Bob.

I may have missed a prior post where you addressed this ... Did you figure out what was driving your triglycerides crazy high?

LynnD 

Hi Geoff. 
May I ask - what are those "hidden carbs"? 
Trying to heal metabolic issues, and I'd like to avoid mistakes as I begin the Carnivore lifestyle. 
Thanks!
LynnD 

Hidden may not have been the best word to use because they aren’t really hidden, we just don’t look for them or in my case just assume there’s not that much. For instance, eggs or tea. I have both and both have carbs. Depending on how much you consume it can add up.
Serving size is a big factor. One serving of tea, depending on type and brand, May gave 1-4 grams but the serving size is 6 oz but the average cup size is 12 oz. Not so much hidden as just not looked at.
The real killer for me was onions. I had started allowing onions and jalapeños back into my diet without looking up the carb count. I started noticing something different in me so I wanted to figure out what was off so I started tracking what I was eating and low and behold, onions. They are very high in carbs. Knowledge is power.
Thank goodness that jalapeños are very low in carbs.
Now technically, in the very base meaning of Carnivore, we should be zero carb but that’s difficult to do unless you only eat meat, salt and water. I like eggs and cheese so unless I develop something that requires I cut those out of my life I’ll continue eating them.
So I am not pure carnivore but more of a dirty carni. Some purists will claim that I’m actually keto or ketovore and that’s fine, I guess that may be true but I’ll just keep doing what works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Lynn D said:

Did you figure out what was driving your triglycerides crazy high?

Yes I did. It's related to my stage 4 CKD....

https://carnivoretalk.com/topic/59-triglycerides-so-high-i-should-probably-be-dead/?do=findComment&comment=622