• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

My wife and I just started carnivore last week. My wife im sure has some sort of auto immune issue and probably ibsc and possibly chrons the life style should clean it up. I have some of my baseline blood work and it's all garbage testosterone literally like 100. everything else is okay from the crooked docs point of view.

quick question I've been super constipated since I've started and trying to heal hemorrhoids lol. So I know I need to get more fat going to soften things up. Should I just eat a ton of melted butter to the point of diarrhea then back off the fat to zero it in? any help or recipes that don't include pork would be great!

Sorry for the rant this coming from someone that was going to get into med school and decided agaisnt it for all the lies and pharma meds.

if you got to the end you're an MVP sorry for the rant. do we have a discord or any mods have one. maybe on the weekend have an open mic voice chat would be awesome.

Doesn’t sound like a rant to me. Just sounds like a man asking for advice. You’re cool.
Generally in the beginning of carnivore we deal with about three to four weeks of diarrhea as our gut biome adapts to just digesting protein. But constipation does happen often as well. I don’t have a gallbladder and I have no idea if that’s why I deal with constipation or not but it can get really bad for me at times so hears what I do. I started out upping my fat intake as Dr. Chaffee recommends. I start my day with one cup of bulletproof tea. I cook everything in butter, ghee, tallow or bacon fat. If the meat I’m eating doesn’t have a lot of fat on it I’ll add butter to it. I don’t know how I can do more but it didn’t help. I added LMNT electrolytes, didn’t help. Then I started taking magnesium citrate. That helped but turned the consistency to peanut butter. Better but not pleasant to deal with. Then I switched to a magnesium complex and it helped a bunch. If I take it every day I’ll have a loose BM just about every day. If I take it every other day my BMs will slow down to every other day or every third day.
Now with all of that being said I what you to be aware that just because you aren’t going every day may not mean your constipated. Because we no longer eat fiber we don’t have that bulk in our intestines pushing things along. The majority of the meat we eat with be used by our bodies and there’s very little waste left over so many people will only have a BM once a week or so and then is small. If it’s hard a gravelly and just really hurts to get out then yeah, that’s definitely constipation.
I hope this helps and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a squatty potty. It helps. But optimally we should be in a full squat when we do our business. When you get ready to go, focus on long slow breathes. Don't strain but do try to expand your belly, straighten your back and pinch your shoulder blades together. sorry if this sounds woo woo, but it helps with the peristalsis. If you have lower back pain try some magnesium lotion. I have also heard people recommend soaking the feet in Epsom salts. Practice squatting down like you would do it in the wild. That is how our body is designed to release this crap...not sitting on a chair. Dr Sean O'Mara has a video about duecing like a rockstar. It is not too far down his timeline.

6 hours ago, ImCharlieBruh said:

Should I just eat a ton of melted butter

Increasing fat is good, and give tallow a try in lieu of butter. Dairy constipates me, so I use tallow. You have to do some trial and error and see what works best. Hemorrhoids is one of the few problems that has improved for me, so I think there’s a good probability yours will get better. 👍

So for the first 2 months, I oscillated between hard as rocks constipation or faucet-on pouring liquid stools. I also would only go once a week, maybe twice. I went 10 days once without going at all. Eventually, things returned to my new normal, which is normal stools about twice a week. Cheese will stiffen things up, so if you are liberally enjoying cheese, maybe back down a bit and choose a different fat, like butter, the fat on steak, tallow, etc.

Magnesium citrate is also known to help. 

My hemorrhoids have improved tremendously with carnivore, probably because I am not constantly sitting on that toilet several times a day anymore (I used to have ulcerative colitis)

thank you all for everything I might go with tallow and see how that rocks. it's just the hardest I've ever had it which I thought initially was expected but this is my 3rd BM and it's still pellets smashed together and rock hard and huge. I did read in a study has to do with liver enzymes changing. I might check Dr Chaffees vid out and squat like my 6 year old daughter lol I always poke fun at her.

I think dairy might have something to do with it. I'll back that off too

But optimally we should be in a full squat when we do our business.

Well I guess that’s been my problem all along. I don’t know squat because I can’t squat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk