• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

My most recent blood work results.

My latest blood work is in and I’m surprised at some of the results. Now let me preface anything I say with I know that these results are based on comparisons to an average of people who eat the SAD so I don’t think it can be held as a completely accurate assessment.

So I had a blood test done at my sixth month mark on carnivore so this one is nearly at my one year mark.

Total cholesterol then was 299 and this time it was 269.

LDL was 225 and now 190.

Wouldn’t bother me a bit if it would just stay up there.

Trigs was 87 and now 66.

HDL was 57 and now 66.

That gives me a ratio of 1.

All of the other markers we within the averages of what is

considered average or normal except sodium and potassium. My sodium was 139 and now 133. The average is supposed to be 135-145. So it’s not terribly low in my opinion but with the supplements I take and all of the salt I eat I’m surprised to see it low. My doctor thinks I’m drinking too

much water but I guess I’m still flushing out electrolytes but then my potassium levels were a little elevated potassium was 4.7 and now 5.9 with the average range to be 3.5-5.3. So that doesn’t quite fit with the flushing theory.

Another surprise was my A1c. It was 5.2 but now 5.6. Other than basic fluctuations I’m not sure how to explain that increase. Maybe I fasted too long. I had be fasting for about 18-19 hours.

My estimated glucose was also elevated. Was 103 but now 114. Same phenomenon as the A1c?

So my doc wants me to stop taking my potassium supplement and stop drinking so much water. I only drink about 4-6 16 ounce glasses a day. That doesn’t seem excessive to me.

Anyways I found it all to be very interesting.

I stopped taking my Keto Chow mineral supplements today and will just put Redmonds salt in my water and I will continue taking my magnesium supplement.

From what seems to be recommended for daily sodium intake I’ll be putting about a tablespoon of salt in my water everyday as well as salting my food liberally. Of course I’ll spread that out throughout the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/29/2024 at 8:25 PM, Geezy said:

Total cholesterol then was 299 and this time it was 269.

LDL was 225 and now 190.

Trigs was 87 and now 66. emoji106.png

HDL was 57 and now 66. emoji106.png

That gives me a ratio of 1. emoji106.png

All of the other markers we within the averages

Excellent. All those results look fantastic!

My sodium was 139 and now 133... My doctor thinks I’m drinking too much water

Maybe. Mine is always 137 like clockwork. Over the last 5 years, it has never changed. 

my potassium levels were a little elevated potassium was 4.7 and now 5.9

I would agree with stopping your potassium supplementation. I have a topic on here called "Hyperkalemia" which is what you now have. My potassium levels were high due to a presription drug I take in combination with my CKD. I did Lion Diet for 30 days to get my potassium levels down because chicken breast and especially pork is high in potassium. You probably just need to cut back on the supplement.

Over 6.0 and you might start noticing symptoms. A level over 7.0 can stop your heart. So, take this one a bit seriously.

Another surprise was my A1c. It was 5.2 but now 5.6

The theory here is that when you eat a carnivore-centric diet, your red blood cells live longer than the average 3 months, giving you this elevated reading. 

My estimated glucose was also elevated. Was 103 but now 114.

If you got the blood test in the morning, this could be the dawn phenomenon. Alternatively, since you fasted for 19 hours, you may have started gluconeogenesis (converting proteins into glucose).

All in all, outside of the potassium, you're in good shape. I would gladly trade labs with you, lol 😄 

I agree with everything you sad Bob.
I just found out that the average person eating SAD will have a blood cell life of about 90 days whereas those of us who are carnivores will have a blood life of 120 days. That means there could be more glucose in the blood stream.

So I got this response over on the ketogenic forum when I mentioned that I had possibly fasted too long before the test at 18-19 hour.
Makes sense.
“YUP! When you’re Keto or Carnivore, can’t fast for that long before a standard lipid panel, if it’s an NMR you don’t have to fast at all since they’re directly measuring then. I wouldn’t push it much past 8hrs. Somebody eating SAD will be burning up stored glycogen for a lot of that time, and their metabloically fasted state won’t start until that’s nearing the end. When a Keto/Carnivore person fasts, that switch has already been flipped, and your’e not eating, so you’ll be releasing more fatty acids into your blood stream to burn as fuel, which throws off the test. It’s technically more accurate for you (sort of) , but then that number is applied to a scale of people who eat totally different, and that doesn’t work. That’s leaving out that their equation that’s giving you those numbers, isn’t correct when somebody is in Ketosis. IIRC, the total cholesterol and trigs will still be right, but the HDL/LDL won’t be.”

[mention=79]Geezy[/mention]Can you decode the acronyms please?IIRC NMR

NMR “Nuclear Magnetic Resonance”

Test Usage
Assessment and management of a patient's risk for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease
Identifying residual risk that may be present in some patients on cholesterol targeting treatment

IIRC "if I recall correctly"

On 5/4/2024 at 6:15 AM, Miranda said:

decode the acronyms

There's a feature in this software where I can 'expand' acronyms. It will underline them and then when you mouse over them you can see a pop up with the full meaning of the term. I should start adding some of the more popular ones 🙂