• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Just a Carnivore Questions

Evening all carnivores,

I just had a question of sorts and maybe advise or guidance.

Does anyone else (perhaps other then me) not enjoy steak all that much? I tried ribeye, T-Bone, and even beef stew pieces. I just can't find myself to enjoy the texture as it's always tough to chew. I'm 37(male) with good teeth, no issues eating anything else. I'll describe my daily routine.

On a daily basis (except Saturday/Sunday), I've been eating 1lb beef (from a farmer(s)) with 7 eggs (I get eggs direct from the chicken), milk (specifically Amish Country & 2 cups/day) and I also add either 2 burgers (beef patties) or 2 salmon patties (wild caught, both from Costco) along with cooking with butter (2tbs) to add the extra fat and I use sea salt.

Average is about 150-200g in protein, I don't know the specific on fat with all that unfortunately nor calories. Protein was easy to pretty easy to gather and I go to gym 6 days a week (5 good days, the 6th day is mostly what couldn't be finished before the gym closed and extra cardio).

Saturdays I don't have any of the above and try to use that day as a variety meat day such as adding ribs though it's restaurant purchased and sadly not bare so it has some sort of sauce/rub on it and smoked. I may also try to add some sort of steak even if small.

Sundays though I add bison or venison in substitute to beef for the meal plan above but the rest is normally the same.

Also, I do fasting, my window is normally 1p-7pm but I don't cook anything more except finish/snack on what I don't eat above to finish it all throughout the day and have milk before going to the gym.

Am I safe with just eating above as is, should I add anymore to up my intake of fat somewhere? Or am I pretty good as is? If someone is able to calculate the correct amounts.

I do have LMNT (unflavored) and only take it if I feel sluggish/tired. 

Appreciate the reading of a long message!

Drew

Welcome aboard Drew!

:welcome:

Have you really been carnivore since 2013? If so that is awesome. I just started myself this last spring.

4 hours ago, Coldstomp said:

Does anyone else (perhaps other then me) not enjoy steak all that much?

I still love it, but if I have it every day, I will start to tire of it. I usually try not to make the same thing for dinner two nights back-to-back. I'm the same with my morning eggs. Each morning I prepare them differently from the day before. My lunches are pretty routine though.

4 hours ago, Coldstomp said:

Am I safe with just eating above as is, should I add anymore to up my intake of fat somewhere? Or am I pretty good as is? If someone is able to calculate the correct amounts.

Everything looks good to me. I tried to crunch the numbers for you real quick...

16g in the milk (according to this site)
35g in the eggs
74g in the beef (assuming ground beef 80% lean 20% fat)
23g in the butter
64g in the salmon patties (if this is the product)

Total Fat - 212g per day

Calorically, you're eating a 3:1 fat to protein ration, or 75:25. I've heard that, depending on your personal physiology, you should aim between 1:1 (50% of each) and 80:20. You're daily routine looks to be about 2500 calories, 1900 from fat and 600 from protein.

8 hours ago, Bob said:

Welcome aboard Drew!

:welcome:

Have you really been carnivore since 2013? If so that is awesome. I just started myself this last spring.

I still love it, but if I have it every day, I will start to tire of it. I usually try not to make the same thing for dinner two nights back-to-back. I'm the same with my morning eggs. Each morning I prepare them differently from the day before. My lunches are pretty routine though.

Everything looks good to me. I tried to crunch the numbers for you real quick...

16g in the milk (according to this site)
35g in the eggs
74g in the beef (assuming ground beef 80% lean 20% fat)
23g in the butter
64g in the salmon patties (if this is the product)

Total Fat - 212g per day

Calorically, you're eating a 3:1 fat to protein ration, or 75:25. I've heard that, depending on your personal physiology, you should aim between 1:1 (50% of each) and 80:20. You're daily routine looks to be about 2500 calories, 1900 from fat and 600 from protein.

Morning Bob!

Appreciate you doing the numbers and I adjusted the year of carnivore. It was probably late 2022 but more likely Jan 2023, I would look better and healthier if I started in 2013. 

Having ground beef and eggs daily, well 5days a week hasn't bothered me to much as I change up what I have on the side. Not entirely sure if the beef is 80/20 since it's from a farmer, if I had to guess it could be 85/15 or 90/10. I could ask them and see if they know if not listed on website.

The numbers look good as far what you crunched together. I looked at the salmon patties and didn't find them on costco website but it looks like these are the ones https://www.tridentseafoods.com/products/trident-seafoods-alaska-salmon-burgers-3-lb and the milk (cream top https://amishcountrydairy.com/milk-varieties/ creamline but hard to see label) looks to be the same for fat & protein though.

As for calories, it looks like I'm doing the right amount if I were to guess where I'd want to be. What would you recommend anything to get it back to 1:1?

Last I weighted myself I was 300lbs but this was some time ago and would be getting new weight check next week when I go to Dr for check up on TRT and probably make sure my graves disease hasn't returned (keto/carnivore did fix this earlier in the year after I cut out the pills and went strict on my diet)

Thank you!

Drew

This is funny because I just answered your question over on the Ketogenic forum.
I’m not going to type it all out again other than to say that I think you’re doing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

This is funny because I just answered your question over on the Ketogenic forum. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png
I’m not going to type it all out again other than to say that I think you’re doing great.

Appreciate it!

10 hours ago, Coldstomp said:

What would you recommend anything to get it back to 1:1?

I do think what you are currently doing is fine. I initially just used the protein number you gave me, but here is how the math works out using the links and clarifications you provided.

Fat 184, Protein 174. This is almost 1:1 gram for gram.
Fat calories 1656, Protein calories 696. This is 2.75 to 1 calorically speaking. 

I don't see many ways to change it. You could reduce butter, as it's all fat, and cut your beef in half and add another salmon patty. But I don't think you need to do any of this.

I'm thinking your milk has carbs (lactose sugar) in it. If you're losing weight don't worry about it. If you stall out then maybe nix this. But if you are drinking it in the morning then you have all day to burn it off and it might not be affecting you any. 

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

I'm thinking your milk has carbs (lactose sugar) in it. If you're losing weight don't worry about it. If you stall out then maybe nix this. But if you are drinking it in the morning then you have all day to burn it off and it might not be affecting you any. 

Thank you - I appreciate you doing the math on what I could provide and have so many details.

Yes - the milk although creamline/cream top, it does have carbs, 12g/serving carbs & sugar. I do have a cup before eating and a half cup before going to the gym. I can easy change this to one cup before the gym. Closest I could get to from the cow w/o it being so processed like others in store. Hard to find raw milk right from the cow but I bet even that milk has carbs/sugar in it.

Drew

And again, it may not even be a problem. Those milk carbs could be trivial, especially if you're working out. The fat:protein in the milk is 1:1 so modifying that won't change your ratio much.

I'll at least not over do it, 1-2 cups/day. I don't do "protein shakes". Seems like I'm at least getting a good 1:1 for fat/protein.

I'm at least going to try and add liver to my meals if not at least 1 or 2/week and maybe 2-3 steaks. I feel I could add more in my eating window, not a lot more.

I do look forward to getting my body fat reduced, all my other blood work has been good this year. I'll know this weekend how it is.

Thought I'd share after I did some blood work Saturday. Dr only wanted Lipids done this time around.

Seems like I just need to increase HDL to make the ratio lower in the "good ratio"

Otherwise is this at all a concern? Not on any medications and don't wish to take any if I can safely correct anything just by diet.

Still overweight for my height and active for the last 4months but I feel good, maybe could use better sleep but I'm a night owl working a day shift.

image.thumb.png.bc5649f9882f4c7e317f9ec9db86c9cc.png

Overall it's looking good. But yes, you just need to work on getting that HDL up. 

They say a 2:1 trig:HDL ratio or less is the sweet spot.

I haven't used sauces in a long time since I went from Keto to Carnivore. But I was a fan of G. Hughes sugar free sauces...

https://www.ghughessugarfree.com/

I use Primal Kitchen avacado mayo as well because it's truly just avacado oil, unlike the supermarket brands that lie to you.

I'll look into them, always like to try some sauces even if a little just to help get certain foods tasty until getting used to them that i won't need sauce.

I had a recipe for sauce that was:

1 cup full fat sour cream

½ a large avocado

Juice of half a lemon

1 clove grated garlic

½ teaspoon cumin

¼ teaspoon salt & fresh pepper

Was a recipe I picked up from Flavcity and he's more on the keto side of diets, was quite good.

Glad i was able to find it again.

Sauces can easily be triggers that can cause one to stray.
If I feel the need for some kind of sauce I’ll just use butter. Sometimes I’ll add a little hot sauce to the butter but hot sauce doesn’t bother me and it’s not a trigger for me as long as there I no sugar, sweeteners, soy, grains or seed oils.

29 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Sauces can easily be triggers that can cause one to stray.
If I feel the need for some kind of sauce I’ll just use butter. Sometimes I’ll add a little hot sauce to the butter but hot sauce doesn’t bother me and it’s not a trigger for me as long as there I no sugar, sweeteners, soy, grains or seed oils.

I can believe it, the one I listed is low carb if any at all, depends what the avocado may have. 

I'll do some investigation, it at least has no sugar/sweeteners, the cumin and garlic may not be needed. so it's mostly sour cream, salt, avocado, lemon juice.

Avocado does have carbs, 16g w/ 18 fiber so i guess -2 but not going to worry about it. Will just use very little sauce andor find hot sauce.

Also, I weighted in today at 300lbs, I feel good though so not complaining.
I do know muscle weights more then fat, not all that concerned, will see where I am at in 6months