• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Just a Carnivore Questions

5 hours ago, Coldstomp said:

Avocado does have carbs, 16g w/ 18 fiber so i guess -2

Somethings amiss here. A 200-gram (7-ounce) large avocado has 18 carbs and 14 fiber, for a total of 4 net carbs.

6 hours ago, Coldstomp said:

Also, I weighted in today at 300lbs

My weight melted off in the first 2 weeks, and then it slowed to a trickle.

Oct 1 - 184.5
Oct 2 - 182.9
Oct 3 - 182.3
Oct 4 - 183.1
Oct 5 - 185.7
Oct 6 - 186.2
Oct 7 - 184.7
Oct 8 - 181.3
Oct 9 - 181.4
Oct 10 - 184.5
Oct 11 - 184.9
Oct 12 - 184.1
Oct 13 - 183.8
Oct 14 - 183.2
Oct 15 - 182.3
Oct 16 - 182.2
Oct 17 - 184.0
Oct 18 - 181.4
Oct 19 - 180.6
Oct 20 - 180.4
Oct 21 - 179.2
Oct 22 - 177.6
Oct 23 - 181.5
Oct 24 - 181.1
Oct 25 - 180.2
Oct 26 - 179.3

^ Remember, I started doing 24 hour fasts on the weekends the last 3 weeks, and 24 hour fasts on the weekend to try and push past my plateau.

I ordered a lipid panel and will draw blood tomorrow to see if my dietary changes will improve this other situation I am dealing with.

21 minutes ago, Bob said:

Somethings amiss here. A 200-gram (7-ounce) large avocado has 18 carbs and 14 fiber, for a total of 4 net carbs.

Oct 1 - 184.5
Oct 2 - 182.9
Oct 3 - 182.3
Oct 4 - 183.1
Oct 5 - 185.7
Oct 6 - 186.2
Oct 7 - 184.7
Oct 8 - 181.3
Oct 9 - 181.4
Oct 10 - 184.5
Oct 11 - 184.9
Oct 12 - 184.1
Oct 13 - 183.8
Oct 14 - 183.2
Oct 15 - 182.3
Oct 16 - 182.2
Oct 17 - 184.0
Oct 18 - 181.4
Oct 19 - 180.6
Oct 20 - 180.4
Oct 21 - 179.2
Oct 22 - 177.6
Oct 23 - 181.5
Oct 24 - 181.1
Oct 25 - 180.2
Oct 26 - 179.3

^ Remember, I started doing 24 hour fasts on the weekends the last 3 weeks, and 24 hour fasts on the weekend to try and push past my plateau.

I ordered a lipid panel and will draw blood tomorrow to see if my dietary changes will improve this other situation I am dealing with.

I guess thats not bad for one avocado since mixing it into as a sauce (one avocado and sour cream or whole fat cream if I can find that) would last a couple weeks or so. I'll get one anyway as it'll be far better then any store bought sauce at this point.

My Dr had actually emailed me today about my Cholesterol going up and asked if I was taking the prescribed Zocor 20 mg which I'm going to reply and be honest that I have not and at this moment I do not feel as if I need to. My blood pressure when taken was 110/70 which I don't recall even being under 80 prior. I feel better now then I have since my 20s and of course the wife isn't happy as she swears by the numbers from Doctors and complains carnivore/to much red meat is the issue but I tell her not to worry about it, let me do what is making me feel good, same wife that hasn't gone to the gym with me but 3-4x in 4 months too, unfortunately.

I don't keep track of my weight, I was 306 last time I weighted in at Dr Office and when I started Keto, I had graves disease and tanked down to like 220lb real fast and I wasn't doing much exercise if any then but when my graves got better, I went back up to 306 or so.  I could probably lower my cream top milk intake for even less carbs or cut it off completely. I did find a herdshare for full raw milk at 1gallon/week which is what I drink now with the cream top anyway, likely same nutrition for carbs and sugar.

Already planning to pick up some more steaks and sausage from farmer this Saturday, got enough ground beef but could be helpful to maybe lower intake of ground beef to 3lbs/week and add in a some steaks instead. Had T-Bone that I got from farmer today and it was quite good, I grill my steak either in a pan with butter or I'll do it in my tabletop oven that has a flat iron in it and of course with butter in it so it cooks with its own juices then I've added eggs to the juices still in the pain so that it all gets soaked up into my eggs. 

However, I used to not be able to fit in 36" waist pants but I can now even at 300 so I know although my weight is not changing much, my body is. I could probably fit in 34s but I'm happy with the 36s w/o needing a belt as I do with 38s. Plus my workout shorts/pants are L (34-36"). Considering I was mostly a fat kid my whole life, it'll be a long journey to reverse all the damage.

I'm on TRT gel as I had low TRT about 6 months ago which was causing other self issues with not wanting to do anything but that has such been going far better with the desire to work out again.

My fasting is about 16-18hrs/day. Had done a 48 in the past which was fine, got plenty of water and some LMNT. 

Look forward to what your results may be with lipoids you ordered, only one has my trig's have been under 100, around 62 at one point but from researching around Dr Baker, Dr Barry, and other Drs and/or carnivores via youtube that talked with Dr's about carnivores, I expected my cholesterol to go up and come down once the body does what it needs to do after repairing, no rush on my end. Got a lifetime.

Oct 1 - 184.5
Oct 2 - 182.9
Oct 3 - 182.3
Oct 4 - 183.1
Oct 5 - 185.7
Oct 6 - 186.2
Oct 7 - 184.7
Oct 8 - 181.3
Oct 9 - 181.4
Oct 10 - 184.5
Oct 11 - 184.9
Oct 12 - 184.1
Oct 13 - 183.8
Oct 14 - 183.2
Oct 15 - 182.3
Oct 16 - 182.2
Oct 17 - 184.0
Oct 18 - 181.4
Oct 19 - 180.6
Oct 20 - 180.4
Oct 21 - 179.2
Oct 22 - 177.6
Oct 23 - 181.5
Oct 24 - 181.1
Oct 25 - 180.2
Oct 26 - 179.3

I’ve been keeping a weight diary just to see the pattern and mine almost mirrors yours. A few days of loosing then stop. Gain a little. Stall for a while then lose some more and then start the cycle over again.
I don’t do anything to try to change it because I know the weight itself is meaningless. It’s all about the inches. I just keep eating the same every day and when my body is adjusted and ready to continue going down then it’ll do it on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldstomp, as I’m sure you know, statins are worthless and do more harm than good and most doctors are incredibly ignorant when it comes to cholesterol.
I am amazed at how different everyone’s bodies can be so different. When I started carnivore I was at 225 and 6 feet tall. My 38 inch jeans would not button without laying down on the bed and using a button extender. I don’t know how you did it at 300lbs.

9 hours ago, Coldstomp said:

I could probably lower my cream top milk intake for even less carbs or cut it off completely.

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier. The milk has carbs, and for some reason dairy products (besides butter & ghee) can cause some people to stall.

9 hours ago, Coldstomp said:

However, I used to not be able to fit in 36" waist pants but I can now even at 300 so I know although my weight is not changing much, my body is. I could probably fit in 34s but I'm happy with the 36s w/o needing a belt as I do with 38s. Plus my workout shorts/pants are L (34-36"). Considering I was mostly a fat kid my whole life, it'll be a long journey to reverse all the damage.

How tall are you?

My experience is similar to Geezy above. At 225 I was squeezing into 36" pants from Lee's. But I couldn't fit a 36" from any other brand (Levi's, etc). I couldn't slip into my old 34's until about 195 and now at 180 they are comfortable and I'm starting to need a belt.

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

Coldstomp, as I’m sure you know, statins are worthless and do more harm than good and most doctors are incredibly ignorant when it comes to cholesterol.
I am amazed at how different everyone’s bodies can be so different. When I started carnivore I was at 225 and 6 feet tall. My 38 inch jeans would not button without laying down on the bed and using a button extender. I don’t know how you did it at 300lbs.

My issue is finding pants to fit over my thighs, I have tree stumps for legs.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier. The milk has carbs, and for some reason dairy products (besides butter & ghee) can cause some people to stall.

How tall are you?

My experience is similar to Geezy above. At 225 I was squeezing into 36" pants from Lee's. But I couldn't fit a 36" from any other brand (Levi's, etc). I couldn't slip into my old 34's until about 195 and now at 180 they are comfortable and I'm starting to need a belt.

I'm 6'4", could be my khaki's. I don't wear jeans specifically but khaki's(relaxed fit) that I get from Walmart, they were brand new and different fit w/o a squeeze 6 months ago or so. My issue with pants are finding things to fit over my thighs that aren't to tight. Carrying around 300lbs for a long time really built my legs. 

I'm going to limit the milk to 1 cup/day, I'm pretty good with forcing limitation on myself, yet to touch soda in 3yrs and I quit it cold turkey. Other then eggs or butter, that's only daily I have w/ carbs. I know if I added more cardio instead of 20mins at 4 days a week though I tend to do about .6 miles on treadmill, my weight would go down a little faster. Just find cardio a little boring compared to lifting weights.

On 10/27/2023 at 10:15 AM, Coldstomp said:

I'm 6'4"

Okay, that makes a difference. I'm only 5'8" so you're going to wear the weight much better than I do 😄

5 hours ago, Bob said:

Okay, that makes a difference. I'm only 5'8" so you're going to wear the weight much better than I do 😄

I believe it for sure, all my weight shows in my belly. The one time its good to be tall :D.

Working on strengthen and straightening my back as I always bent/hunched over at PC and working with chiropractor too. 

I believe it for sure, all my weight shows in my belly. The one time its good to be tall :D.
Working on strengthen and straightening my back as I always bent/hunched over at PC and working with chiropractor too. 

I know that carnivore really helped my back. Between getting rid of the inflammation and weight I feel like a new man.

20 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I know that carnivore really helped my back. Between getting rid of the inflammation and weight I feel like a new man.

My back has been getting better since I cut out the "cheat days", chiropractor just sort of helps releasing a little pressure where needed, found out it seems but a few times, all my spots that needed to be released were on my left side. Was affecting me from raising left leg properly but far better now.

Getting a deep tissue massage next friday on my rest day, probably plenty of knots that need to be rubbed out and help with other little things.

• 4 months later...

Evening!

Thought I'd check in, everything same on my end. 3day workout plan, full body, still carnivore. Picked up tallow yesterday to cook and see if it makes steaks a little better for me to eat. 

Otherwise, started boiling eggs, less scrambled and more boiled. Probably 4 scrambled and 6-10 boiled with some meat.

Instead of OMAD I broke it up into 3 meals to make sure I get some more fat/protein, I guess it's called priming(?). Figured better then trying to over cook and not eat everything on the plate.

Still 1lb ground beef, eggs, milk, beef sticks/hot dogs. Leaning more on getting stuff from farmer then Costco where I can. Unfortunately touch to find beef bratwurst specifically so I still get pork.

Still low back pain but found a local "stretch zone" to help with that 1x/week which is helpful.

I injured my lower back many years ago and every so often it would flare up and I couldn’t even put my shoes on. I got some chiropractor treatments and then decided to use an inversion table every day. This helped tremendously, although it took a long time. After that, I developed extreme stiffness in my lower back (it was likely from eating carbs) and the inversion table didn’t help. Now that I’m eating carnivore, the stiffness has improved.

Hey Drew. Good to hear from you.

4 hours ago, Coldstomp said:

Instead of OMAD I broke it up into 3 meals to make sure I get some more fat/protein, I guess it's called priming(?).

I'm not sure. I've seen YouTube videos mentioning "priming" but I haven't watched them yet. 

I'm not sure. I've seen YouTube videos mentioning "priming" but I haven't watched them yet. 

Bella over on Steak and Butter Gal promotes priming. There may be some value to it but I’m not so sure that it’s really necessary for getting your body on track or more for getting your mindset on track.

17 hours ago, Coldstomp said:

Picked up tallow yesterday to cook and see if it makes steaks a little better for me to eat. 

What have been cooking your steak in?

started boiling eggs, less scrambled and more boiled.

Just curious but why boiled? Boiled eggs a great but not as good as scrambled in my opinion. 

beef sticks/hot dogs. beef bratwurst

So how clean are these processed meats you’re eating? I know it’s been very difficult for me to find any processed meats that don’t have some form of sugar, seed fillers, plant matter, seed oils or chemicals in them. 
That may be a factor in you still having lower back pain.  
I have a bad back. Spinal stenosis and a protruding compressed disc. Surgery helped the stenosis but did little for the disc. I was to the point in my pain that I couldn’t stand for more than about 15 minutes at a time and I couldn’t walk to the mailbox a hundred yards away without some kind of support.  Since I became carnivore I can now stand for hours and I can walk five miles briskly with no issues.  Reducing the inflammation in my back has done wonders for me. The back is still bad and the disc is not going to heal so I still have to take care of it but I’m still 90% improved.  In fact I did a lot of work yesterday improving a fence and stacking feed sacks and today I’m feeling a little soreness in my back but I can still function.  Last year I would have been stove up for three days after that much work. 
Once I learned how the criminal food industry adulterates our foods I became an avid label reader and eject everything that doesn’t fit into my lifestyle.  For instance, there was a pepperoni that I liked from the deli section that I thought was pretty clean until I looked at the label and saw that the second ingredient was dextrose.  Sugar! Dang! 
My favorite store bought chorizo has soy grits. WTH? I am adamantly opposed to soy in any form. 
Most pork rinds are fried in seed oils. Fortunately I found some that are fried in lard. 
Some of the cheeses I like are made with skim milk. No thanks. 
Just saying this to point out that reading food labels are important because there are all kinds of hidden dangers in processed foods that can sabotage our best efforts.  

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

What have been cooking your steak in?

Just curious but why boiled? Boiled eggs a great but not as good as scrambled in my opinion. 

So how clean are these processed meats you’re eating? I know it’s been very difficult for me to find any processed meats that don’t have some form of sugar, seed fillers, plant matter, seed oils or chemicals in them. 
That may be a factor in you still having lower back pain.  
I have a bad back. Spinal stenosis and a protruding compressed disc. Surgery helped the stenosis but did little for the disc. I was to the point in my pain that I couldn’t stand for more than about 15 minutes at a time and I couldn’t walk to the mailbox a hundred yards away without some kind of support.  Since I became carnivore I can now stand for hours and I can walk five miles briskly with no issues.  Reducing the inflammation in my back has done wonders for me. The back is still bad and the disc is not going to heal so I still have to take care of it but I’m still 90% improved.  In fact I did a lot of work yesterday improving a fence and stacking feed sacks and today I’m feeling a little soreness in my back but I can still function.  Last year I would have been stove up for three days after that much work. 
Once I learned how the criminal food industry adulterates our foods I became an avid label reader and eject everything that doesn’t fit into my lifestyle.  For instance, there was a pepperoni that I liked from the deli section that I thought was pretty clean until I looked at the label and saw that the second ingredient was dextrose.  Sugar! Dang! 
My favorite store bought chorizo has soy grits. WTH? I am adamantly opposed to soy in any form. 
Most pork rinds are fried in seed oils. Fortunately I found some that are fried in lard. 
Some of the cheeses I like are made with skim milk. No thanks. 
Just saying this to point out that reading food labels are important because there are all kinds of hidden dangers in processed foods that can sabotage our best efforts.  

I was cooking steaks in butter, it was butter from same Amish place I get my milk from. I always had tough time eating steak but I'm going to change it up a little. Try tallow instead and perhaps get/try a pellet smoker & a small charcoal griller, similar to what I saw on a homestead video but not cheap so it'll be a slow process. Also going to try different steaks, T-Bone, Ribeye, see if perhaps I like a different one.

For boiled eggs, something different. I wasn't finishing my scrambled eggs completely and wasting them, although I have 19 chickens and the eggs are "free" though I have to get them organic feed and such. While wife does it all and barely eats any of the eggs, just me eating them. She still stuck on fastfood, I don't get any fast food but I like boiled eggs, the peeling not so much but I can eat 6 of them quick easily.

The beef dogs/links are yes processed from Costco, little ingredients but still something to be 1g carb. My farmer has beef bratwurst but always out of stock, maybe with spring/summer, they'll have them come back available. I don't try to get any steaks/ground beef from store anymore and get those from my farmer, including pork items, patties/brats/links.

I have bad knees mostly from being overweight and sitting so long/often that I can hyper extend my knees but thankfully if it happens, it's very random but about only reason my knee's "crack" when I stand up. Stretching helps, I do 3miles (10min bike ride) at gym before I lift weights, was doing 20-30min, 8-10miles but it would then make me a bit tired for weights when I got like 8 different sets to do w/ 3 reps each, except Sundays are 8 sets w/ 4 reps each.

I definitely look at what is in the processed food when I look at it and try to get it at 1g or less carb if I can't help it but only use butter or tallow now. Even using less salt on my food as prior I was doing probably a bit to much. Since I spaced out my feeding, I haven't been yawning as much when trying to eat up to 2lbs of food in one sitting although it was being stretched out by hours anyway. Doing 3 meals feels a little better and less stress on the body, for me at least, to digest so much at once. 

It was steak and butter girl where I saw it, unfortunately no forum to sign up on and talk w/ coaches there w/o paying for something. Either way, the idea seems good, perhaps for now it'll work for me at least and then I can go back down to 2x meals or OMAD in a month or so. 

17 hours ago, LesW said:

I injured my lower back many years ago and every so often it would flare up and I couldn’t even put my shoes on. I got some chiropractor treatments and then decided to use an inversion table every day. This helped tremendously, although it took a long time. After that, I developed extreme stiffness in my lower back (it was likely from eating carbs) and the inversion table didn’t help. Now that I’m eating carnivore, the stiffness has improved.

I may look into the inversion table, I know I didn't like the table's that chiropractors have to "decompress" the back, didn't feel it did much for me. Seems I have left side stiffness/tightness then anything, even the stretch place I go to noticed I'm tighter on my left side then my right when it comes to stretching the hamstrings and such.

16 hours ago, Bob said:

Yeah - steak and butter girl mentioned it, I feel less tired and less yawning during the day after eating then I spaced out meals.

8 hours ago, Geezy said:

Bella over on Steak and Butter Gal promotes priming. There may be some value to it but I’m not so sure that it’s really necessary for getting your body on track or more for getting your mindset on track.

I agree it is not needed to get on track, infact I was able to get my mind right by using omad and Adf.  Basically the opposite of priming. The only problem with fasting is that for me I was having trouble sticking to real food because I felt entitled after a fast to eat whatever I wanted.

27 minutes ago, Miranda said:

I agree it is not needed to get on track, infact I was able to get my mind right by using omad and Adf.  Basically the opposite of priming. The only problem with fasting is that for me I was having trouble sticking to real food because I felt entitled after a fast to eat whatever I wanted.

Yeah, I feel its good for me at the moment, I don't yawn after eating or feel tired but also I can completely eat everything I cook w/o wasting. Granted most of my yawning is my sleep of 6hrs/night could be better.