• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Beginner , help please

Hi everyone,  I'm trying to get into a carnivore diet for overall better health as well as weight loss. I'm 45 year old male , 6 foot tall around 300 lbs. My question is . If I'm trying to lose weight and say aim for 2000 daily calories , based on the online calculation I'm supposed to aim for over 200 grams of both propane fats . How is that achievable with only 2000 calories? Or am I just way off on my thinking. 

Thank you in advance 

Hello Kaz and welcome aboard!

Generally speaking, you want to eat .8g to 1g of protein for every pound of your ideal body weight. Let's assume you want to weigh 180 pounds. That's between 144g and 180g of daily protein. 

180*4= 720 calories from protein. 

And then, you want to eat at least a 1:1 ratio of fat to protein. That would be 180g of fat.

180*9= 1620 calories from fat 

Together that's a total of 2340 calories per day (180*13). You would probably fare well and lose weight at this mark, depending on your activity level, how often you eat (# of meals/day) and how late you eat. 

That example uses 1g per pound of ideal body weight. If you go with the .8g per pound of ideal body weight, you get the following (180*.8=144)...

144*4= 576 protein calories
144*9= 1296 fat calories
144*13 = 1872 total calories

So aim for a around or near 144g of protein (it doesn't have to be exact) and be sure to eat at least a 1:1 ratio of fat grams to protein grams. This will mean you are eating about 70% calories from fat (70/30). You can always add more fat as well. Some people prefer to aim for 80/20.

Hope this helps and was understandable 🙂 

I'm 54, 6'2" and was 306.

Everyone is different. I didn't read any of the instructions about carnivore and just sort of dove in headfirst. I didn't count calories. I ate straight meats right from the start. I did hold onto the Moutain Dew the first week. I lost 30lbs in 31-32 days. 

I have yet to aim for a target amount of protein or fat. Maybe I should?

What I have found, for me personally, if the fat content drops to less than the protein, my energy level drops tremendously. And that is especially the case when my electrolytes were off balance. 

I'm currently at a 35-36lb loss and I started on May 8th. My energy level is better than it has been in a lot of years. 

Maybe I should be counting protein and fats but thus far I'm happy/feel good with sort of winging it. 

Good luck.

Scott

Excellent posts from Bob and Scott.

Thank you Bob for doing the math. It’s not something I’m capable of doing.

I’m kinda in the same boat as Scott in the way I approach this way of eating. I’m a precision kinda guy but not very technical.
I don’t weigh anything that I eat. I just keep it simple and eat fatty meat cooked in animal fats and if the meat is lean I add butter to it. I never set a goal. I just let my body go it’s thing and let it optimize. I ended up losing 55 pounds in ten months and I now weigh less than I did when I was a senior in high school 50 years ago.

If being technical is your thing then follow Bobs advice. He is very knowledgeable.

Just try not to overthink this way of eating and make it complicated. It’s really a simple diet to follow.
Eat when hungry. Eat fatty meat until comfortably full. Use salt generously and drink water.
Good luck and good health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk