• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Carnivore and blood sugar

Even prior to carnivore my blood sugar was in the 90's and a lot of mornings in the upper 80's. My blood pressure hung around 120/60. I was relatively healthy but way overweight at the same time. Go figure.

After 30 days on the carnivore diet, I had my first ever reading over 100 at 104 and at 60 days in I was at 108. Most of the relatives on my mom's side have diabetes related issues. I'm either adopted or somehow dodged the 'sugar bullet'. Been lucky, I guess.

I'm reading about gluconeogenesis.

I'm eating an all-meat diet as well as eggs. This past week I have used cheese for the first time and have had maybe one glass of milk in two months. I'm sure if I counted my protein intake would be pretty high but I'm not sure how much is enough to spike blood sugar.

Anyone else see a spike in blood glucose while eating carnivore?

Just wondering.

Scott

That just seems strange to me Scott. If you are not putting anything in your body that gas sugar or carbs how can your blood sugar rise?
Tagged for hearing some answers to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/28/2024 at 11:10 PM, Scott F. said:

Anyone else see a spike in blood glucose while eating carnivore?

A couple things could be going on here. For starters, when do you measure your blood glucose to get those readings?

1) Is it in the morning? You might be experiencing what's called the "dawn phenomenon", when a person's body will ramp up glucose levels to help you start your day. You might get a more accurate reading by fasting for a few more hours after waking up before taking your reading.

2) It is after a meal? Regardless of what you eat, when you eat a meal, your blood glucose will go up. 

3) Are you eating processed or marinated meats? Look out for "carb creep".

I'm reading about gluconeogenesis.

Which brings us to...

4) High protein consumption. If you are eating a high protein, moderate to low fat diet, your body will convert that protein to glucose for fuel. Your basically not in ketosis or burning ketones. You will want to increase your fat macros and maybe lower your protein macros.

And finally...

I'm sure if I counted my protein intake would be pretty high but I'm not sure how much is enough to spike blood sugar.

This can vary per individual and is very common if you are diabetic. Certain individuals will have a much higher sensitivity to protein and will have a greater glucagon release in response to high protein consumption.

Fortunately, this is not thought of to really be an issue. 

I never had a reading above 100 til now. No processed meats to make note of and the fat content I feel is sort of high. (I have been grinding meats and adding a lot of fat-maybe 60-40, even some 50-50). As of late I am leaning toward more red meat than chicken or pork (as the leg thighs get ready for the grill tonight). 

I lift and walk on my days off which works out to a lot more one week and not near as much the next week due to rotating shift work. 

I read about the gluconeogenesis and some of the other reports along these lines but didn't expect a 15+ point jump. I'm eating once per day and it was about 12-13 hours from eating to testing but it was in the morning after working out on the way to the walk.

I have not ready anything testing after working out. I will need to look that up.

I mean the carnivore diet is the miracle cure for everything. I saw that on the internet, so I know it is true. You can't lie on the internet. LOL

Just sort of caught me off guard. I think I will test this week before working out to see if there is a marked difference. 

Scott

17 hours ago, Scott F. said:

I mean the carnivore diet is the miracle cure for everything. I saw that on the internet, so I know it is true.\

Lol. Be careful. We have a guy on here that heard the same thing but has been letting us know for months he hasn't seen any miracles yet - but at the same time he has nothing to cure.

17 hours ago, Scott F. said:

Just sort of caught me off guard. I think I will test this week before working out to see if there is a marked difference. 

I'll be curious to see your results. 

Here's a video I found. I haven't watched it all the way through yet, but it seems relevant here...

Here’s another thing you could consider as well.
On a carnivore diet our red blood cells live longer. Therefore there are more of them running through your veins and this can be why we see an elevated A1C or an elevated cholesterol number because there are more blood cells carrying them around.

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Here’s another thing you could consider as well.
On a carnivore diet our red blood cells live longer. Therefore there are more of them running through your veins and this can be why we see an elevated A1C or an elevated cholesterol number because there are more blood cells carrying them around.

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com