• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hello everyone.  I'm trying to find the healthiest way to thicken a soup or similar to make gravy.  I researched, and haven't found anything that sounded good to me.  The one that comes up the most in my searches is Xanthum gum, but it's processed so I really don't want to try it.  I took a delicious recipe for mashed potatoes, and substituded the potatoes with cauliflower.  It came out so incredibly delicious, but it was too "soup."  I'd like to make a heavier version of it.  Everyone in my family said it was better than ANY mashed "potatoes" they'd ever eaten, and want me to make it again, like, yesterday lol.  TIA

3 hours ago, ol_hilly said:

Maybe simmer your soup with the lid off for awhile to evaporate the liquids. Reduce it down from a soupy soup to a thicker stew of sorts. 

Also, ground pork rinds will thicken, and is carni friendly. 

Yes, simmering would be a good option.  I can't use pork rinds because I don't eat pork, only Kosher food, but I'll try simmering.  I bought some cheesecloth, thought maybe after I cooked the cauliflower and run it through the processor, I could squeeze it through the cloth to get rid ofmost of the moistire.  Thanks for your help!

16 minutes ago, Scott F. said:

Minced meats. Send the chicken thru the blender/food processor and add it to your recipe. Sort of your current recipe then add the chicken.

Before carnivore we did this with our homemade chicken noodle soup. it is meatier and less soupy.

Scott

That sounds pretty cool, I'll have to try that!  Thank you!

Shalom Jughead.
To try to thicken you might try some cream cheese.
If you’d like to try a more carnivore style mashed potato check out Chris cooking Nashville’s recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Miranda said:

Know idea if it will work but maybe take some of the liquid out and make like an egg custard with it and then add it back in?

That might work!

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Shalom Jughead.
If you’d like to try a more carnivore style mashed potato check out Chris cooking Nashville’s recipe.

Thanks, I'll check out the channel.  Cream cheese isalready part of the recipe.  I'm thinking of mashing up the cooked cauliflower, then squeezing out the excess liquid through some cheese cloth. Gonna try that tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Susyn C_137 said:

Unflavored collagen? 

I was thinking gelatin. But then @Geezy stepped in with Chris Cooking Nashville's video, and I remembered I really need to try and make some of his outstanding looking recipes 🙂

12 hours ago, Geezy said:

Shalom Jughead.

Shalom Geezy!  Just watched this video, love it!  I subscribed to his channel, can't wait to try these recipes!  Thank you for hooking me up with this!

Thanks, I'll check out the channel.  Cream cheese isalready part of the recipe.  I'm thinking of mashing up the cooked cauliflower, then squeezing out the excess liquid through some cheese cloth. Gonna try that tomorrow.

Back when I was trying to eat healthier I made some pizza crust using cauliflower and yes, you do have to squeeze the water out of it to use. There is a lot of water in it.