• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

My leg and foot cramps have mysteriously disappeared

I've been experiencing a period of peace and rest for the last 2 weeks, lol. And I don't know what has caused this to happen. But, I was DYING with leg and foot cramps that would wake me up from sleep. Or, make it impossible to swim in the pool. To combat them, I would salt generously and take magnesium. When that failed me, I would take an electrolye mix that had some potassium - which I usually avoid due to my kidneys.

About 2 weekends ago i went a few days forgetting to take my prescriptions. That's when I noticed it. So, I started to wonder if it was the fenofibrate I take for my triglycerides. In hindsight, the cramps started around the same time I started taking that. But, keeping my trigs down is important so I resumed taking the prescription and have nonstop for the last 2 weeks. The cramps haven't returned, so I can probably rule that out.

In the same time period though, I have reduced my salt and magnesium intake, and ran out of niacin (which I also took for trigs) and vitamin k2. I am also getting some damn good sleep at night now, lol. 

So I am still waiting for the cramps to return, not that I want them to. So it may come down to a few possibilities...

1) Reduced salt.
2) Reduced magnesium.
3) Eliminated k2 (not likely)
4) Eliminated Nicotinic acid/Niacin
5) Kidneys are healing (also not likely)

I've got some research and experimentation to do. 

For me my tendons from my toes up the front of my leg will cramp up. They pull up tighter than a banjo and feel like they’re going to snap. I’ve got to guzzle water and walk it off. Hurts like heck.
I’ve noticed that it happens when I’m in bed asleep after a long day of working in the heat. So I’ve taken to using some KetoChow when I know I’m going to be in the heat all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had cramps a couple times while sleeping this week (trying to sleep). I hit the mustard bottle and it relieves them rather quickly. 

I think mine came from lack of hydration. All three nights this week were rough. Equipment that has not failed in years and years failed all three nights. It was like getting to the plant, taking a deep breath and holding it for 13 hours. It was non-stop all three nights. Each day I struggled with cramps while trying to sleep. 

My best guess is I was simply to busy to hydrate. 

Bob, hopefully you figure out the cause because waking up with muscles in a know is no fun.

Good luck.

Scott

Slept perfect all weekend as well. 

I also added a 6th potential reason. I had around the same time ran out of my favorite seasoning, so for the last couple weeks I've only been using salt and nothing else. This is still not likely.

But, I just picked some up, so I will add back in seasoning this week. And then some K2 next week. Again, my guess is that these are benign.

I will then check my labs before adding Niacin back in. I want to formerly guage if the Niacin is really of any benefit. It's higher on my list as a possibility because it does have side effects (flushing). After doing some research, while Niacin is often used by body builders to help build muscle by delivering more oxygen to the muscles, it can also cause muscle breakdown in people with chronic kidney disease.

That would be me, lol.