• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Swelling on Carnivore/Keto?

Anyone know if being on carnivore/keto diet translates to an significant change in how much or how long we swell for?

I had an Epigastric (I believe) Hernia repair on Sunday and I was thinking that maybe I wouldn't swell up as much, or at least would not swell for as long as I would if not in ketosis.
My assumption was based on how frequently I pee/expel fluid when on keto and how susceptible I am to dehydration as a result.

From my POV, my stomach is still pretty swollen, but it's possible that it's due to me aggravating it due to moving around and doing things.

Any insight?

After three or four weeks the inflammation issues I have had since being diagnosed with NMO/SD just eased away without me actually noticing. I basically just thought I haven't taken any medicine this week and then it sort of came together.

I have not had any issues that would have resulted in swelling so no real information.

I would guess if you have been on carnivore for awhile your body is not fighting off all the other crap so when there is an actual issue you are better prepped??? Just spit balling on this one.

Scott

11 minutes ago, Scott F. said:

After three or four weeks the inflammation issues I have had since being diagnosed with NMO/SD just eased away without me actually noticing. I basically just thought I haven't taken any medicine this week and then it sort of came together.

I have not had any issues that would have resulted in swelling so no real information.

I would guess if you have been on carnivore for awhile your body is not fighting off all the other crap so when there is an actual issue you are better prepped??? Just spit balling on this one.

Scott

Thanks for the reply mate, and sorry to hear about your NMO/SD.
Though that's great that your inflammation issues have gone!

Since posting this I remembered that I have fluid retention on both my legs (my socks make big impressions on my legs, no matter how loose), with it being particularly bad in my right leg where I had the DVT a few years back and it damaged the vessel in the leg, resulting in the fluid build up.
So I guess if my earlier logic was correct, then I wouldnt be seeing so much fluid retention in the leg either.

I guess even something as amazing as ketosis/carnivore diet has it's limits 🙄 😆

Swelling as a result of carnivore is a new one on me. Most people report much faster healing when eating carnivore and being metabolically healthy.
Quite often I come across someone who has something go out of wack they immediately want to blame it on carnivore when it may be something else entirely. I’m not saying that’s what your doing in the least but it is possible that what your experiencing has more to do with your surgery than your diet. Hopefully you aren’t experiencing an infection.
You might need to take your concerns to your doctor and make sure there’s not something going on.
Good luck my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something I forgot to mention is that we are all different so you could very well be experiencing something that others haven’t because it’s unique to your physiology.

One time about 30ish years ago, I commented to my doctor that my shoes were getting pretty tight. He said, "if you'd try sleeping horizontally instead of vertically your shoes wouldn't be so tight".  So I made it a point to sleep laying down as opposed to in the office chair. Dang if it didn't help. Now since I've cleaned up my diet pretty much for the last few years, I think my ankles are the skinniest part of me. 

12 hours ago, Geezy said:

Swelling as a result of carnivore is a new one on me. Most people report much faster healing when eating carnivore and being metabolically healthy.
Quite often I come across someone who has something go out of wack they immediately want to blame it on carnivore when it may be something else entirely. I’m not saying that’s what your doing in the least but it is possible that what your experiencing has more to do with your surgery than your diet. Hopefully you aren’t experiencing an infection.
You might need to take your concerns to your doctor and make sure there’s not something going on.
Good luck my friend.

No, that's not what I  mean 😆
Maybe it's the pain meds warping my ability to communicate.

I was wondering if people on carnivore experience LESS swelling due to the diet.

3 hours ago, Nowler said:

No, that's not what I  mean 😆

I was wondering if people on carnivore experience LESS swelling due to the diet.

I definitely feel my midsection feel less dense when I am strict with my eating. My my hands are all over the place. Depending on the weather really. Some days my rings feel very loose other days they barely budge. My feet get puffy after a day of driving the bus in the heat. (No AC)  All that to say Carnivore has not changed my fluid retention, but my midsection is probably more a reflection of visceral fat loss/gain. Also if I eat fiber, blechk, but why would anyone want to do that!

No, that's not what I  mean 

Oh I get it now, sorry for the confusion.
Absolutely you can experience less swelling. That is one of the biggest things that carnivore is noted for is reduced inflammation.