• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

5 Days in on Carnivore Diet with Prior Major Health issues

Hello all! I'm a 50 year old female, who is dealing with a LOT of medical issues. Oct of last year, I was diagnosed with HER2+ stage 4 breast cancer (which meant it has spread from the breast, to my ribs, spine and a lesion on my liver).  I had 5 radiation treatments, and did 4 months of chemo.  During the middle of this, I slipped and fell and broke my ankle. This in turn, caused me to have a pulmonary embolism. I also was just diagnosed with type2 diabetes and high cholesterol, and have massive muscle inflammation in my upper chest and back, they think, because of the chemo/radiation treatments. I've been in PT since last year 2x a week, with little improvement.  I am on about 11 medications a day, along with an internal pain pump placed in my lower abdomen.  I still have to get regular infusions every 3 weeks, to block the protein responsible for the initial breast cancer mass.  Along with the side effects of regular chemo (loss of hair everywhere, sores in the mouth, and absolute GI roller-coasters), I have gained about 40 lbs. due to steroids and medication that causes appetite increased.  I'm looking for a community where I can discuss common struggles, for anyone else who's been diagnosed with anything I have, that have managed to reverse it, would be a great start.  I am at the end of what I feel like I have available to try, with out going on more medications, and I just want to be able to have some energy, be able to move around better, and walk more than to the mailbox with out being in such pain, all I can do is sit. Thank you for allowing me to open up, and hopefully I will get some great feedback and support here.  
I am doing a very strict carnivore diet, no dairy, carbs, or sugar.  So far I am doing great with it, but I'm looking for ideas to change things up, and just find someone else to talk with during the first month or so as it becomes more difficult to maintain. 

Edited by Tdyer07

Welcome aboard @Tdyer07

I can relate to the broken ankle. I did one of those last year. 

My basic way of "changing things up" is to rotate what I eat or how I prepare them. For example, ground beef can be made loose like taco filling, or made into meatballs, meatloaf, burger patties, etc. I try not to have it the same way twice in a row, lol. I will also alternate ground beef with actual steak, chicken, fish, shrimp, etc. I like eggs and a breakfast meat. I will alternate bacon with sausage, and will also rotate between scrambled, over easy, omelet, and more.

I do include cheese though. There's a ton of carnivore tricks and recipes you can incorporate using cheese.

I'm eating meats, salt and water. The variety I get is because my wife is not digging the carnivore approach. I try to stay heavy on the red fatty meats and my variety comes when she can't/won't do red meats that night. Lat night was grilled salmon and shrimp.

I have an autoimmune disease called NMO/SD, really similar to Multiple Sclerosis, but it attacks the eyes. The lesions and infusions are really similar. I do feel like I do better on red meats than other meats. After about three to four weeks I no longer needed my pain or inflammation (gabapentin and prednisone since 2018)

Like Bob said, try to cook/prepare the same meats in different ways. I like burger but a lot of times I grind my own adding more fat. Instead of a 73/27 burger I go 60/40 and even made some 50/50 burgers. I liked them a lot but it might be too much for some. I grill them at times, pan fry them in a skillet and sometimes I make it lot taco meat and add cheese/eat it out of a bowl. 

As of late I have been on beef riblets (Sam's Club) and they are now my new 'go to'. They are fatty, cook rather quickly/easily, and taste amazing. I then keep the bones and make a bone broth to drink or cook with at a later time. 

Another route is youtube. It seems like there a million carnivore recipes on there. I have planned to build a carnivore pizza for the longest but can't ever seem to get that done.

Best of luck with the new approach. Thoughts and prayer to you and yours.

Scott

Hi Tdyer07:  Wow, you have been , and are going through so much!  I'm sure the reduction in inflammation you get from doing Carnivore will greatly contribute to the healing you seek.  The less poison, the easier it is for your body to hea II have a very simple diet, of ground beef, maybe some beef ribs, or chuck roast, mozzarella cheese, and some full fat plain Greek yogurt. No other meat works for me.  I'm sure you will find a lot of encouragement, support, and good information here. 🙏🙏😊

Welcome to the group Tdyer07.
Wow! You are dealing with a lot and my prayers go out to you.
By going carnivore you are doing the best thing to help your body fight the cancer. Having a metabolically heathy body is the strongest way to fight any disease.
Eliminating all carbs and sugars helps to starve cancer as it feeds on glucose.
Carnivore will also help reduce the inflammation you are dealing with.

As far as

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk