• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Any ideas how to do carnivore with egfr 32 kidney failure

Welcome Merlin. 
I personally have no experience with kidney disease but Bob the owner of this forum does.  He has stage 4 kidney disease and is doing well as a carnivore. 
I’m sure he will be along shortly to answer any questions you have. 

I have never heard anyone express the fat to protein ratio by volume versus weight. 
It is generally a weight to weight ratio. There are no set rules to how we do carnivore because it’s subjective to the individual. We are all different so we have to adjust the diet to what our bodies require. 
We generally start of with a baseline or foundation as I like to call it of a 70% fat to 30% protein ratio. Some do better with less fat while others do well with more fat. 
Equal amounts of protein and fat by weight are 31% protein and 69% fat by caloric content. (Protein contains roughly 4 (k)cal/g, whereas fats average around 9 (k)cal/g.)
The general consensus is, 
If your goal is weight loss, aim for 1g of protein per pound of your goal body weight and then add high quality animal fat to this until satiety. This will usually end up being about 1:1 fat to protein ratio in terms of gram. This ratio translates to about 70% of calories from fat and 30% of calories from protein

You may find that some recommend 1.5 grams of protein while others recommend 2 grams but 1 gram is a good place to start. 
I personally have never measured any of my food. If you eat fatty meat, cook it in fat and if it’s lean use the fat drippings as a gravy or dip it in butter you should meet the ratio requirements. If you are the analytical type then you might enjoy measuring your food. 

I am a male 6 foot and 3 inches  I start December 12 last year doing  1 meal a day and I have fasted 2 times for least 6 days and I have tried eating every 36 hours and done 5 fasts lasting 3 days I started with eating clean keto eating less than 20 carbs per day. Now I am doing carnivore I prefer grass fed meat ribeye meat. I I eat lots real butter and I am still losing weight I weigh 214 lbs now I used to weigh 375 lbs I am off 5 prescriptions 3 high blood pressure medicine and gout pill and stomach acid reflux pill. I get very satisfied when I consume atleast 10 too 14 tablespoons fat my stomach does not hurt consuming that much and I get a rush eating that much fat foresome reason why?

Edited by merlin

My guess is your body needs the nutrients from the fat. 

As long as it's not affecting you negatively I wouldn't be concerned. 

Welcome aboard 😀 

• Bob changed the title to Any ideas how to do carnivore with egfr 32 kidney failure
17 hours ago, merlin said:

I get a rush eating that much fat foresome reason why?

5 hours ago, Geezy said:

Because you are now fat adapted that fat is your fuel hence the rush would be my guess. 

I would agree. Instead of a "sugar rush" you get a rush when consuming an abundance of fat. 

On 10/12/2024 at 12:45 AM, merlin said:

do you have to eat 15 tablespoons  of beef fat and 60 too 80 oz protien?

This is hard to answer because a tablespoon is a unit of volume whereas a gram is a unit of weight. But, using an online calculator, 15 tablespoons of LARD would be 203 grams by weight, or 1827 calories from fat. 

As far as the 80oz of protein, that is 5 POUNDS of meat (2267 grams). That's a heck of a lot of meat for one person to consume in a day. Not that it can't be done, but that is more than the average person for sure. That would equal 9068 calories. Together with the fat that would be 10,895 calories. You might eat that if you were a body builder training everyday for a competition in which you had every intention on breaking all the world records, lol 😄

On 10/12/2024 at 12:45 AM, merlin said:

Can a person kidney disease do carnivore?

Yes. I know several people who do carnivore with kidney disease. I am one of them. I have stage 4, and I talk about it here...

So do you consider a person with stage 3 kidney disease with low fasting glucose  in mid 80 and is able to do resistance training everyday healthy still? I am scared because all what doctors want to do is prescribe medicin that causes other side effects. Could I ask you how long have you been at stage 4 eating carnivore?

Please research youtube with 

kidney disease and carnivore diet

What works for me may/may not work for the next person. 

16 minutes ago, merlin said:

So do you consider a person with stage 3 kidney disease with low fasting glucose  in mid 80 and is able to do resistance training everyday healthy still?

Research, and make your decision on your conclusion of the evidence as we cannot give any medical advice.

Best of luck to you and we'll help best we can. 

On 10/13/2024 at 9:55 PM, merlin said:

So do you consider a person with stage 3 kidney disease with low fasting glucose  in mid 80 and is able to do resistance training everyday healthy still? I am scared because all what doctors want to do is prescribe medicin that causes other side effects. Could I ask you how long have you been at stage 4 eating carnivore?

Yes, I think you can do resistance training even with CKD stage 3 and still be healthy. The resistance training will do nothing to your kidneys. 

Here is what WILL happen though....

As you lift heavy weights, you will increase the amount of muscle protein that breaks down. This is how body-building works. You lift heavy weights, which tears your muscles a bit. Then those muscles heal and grow stronger and bigger. The waste product from muscle breakdown is creatinine. Creatinine is also created as a waste product from the protein you eat. 

Because you have impaired kidney function, it cannot remove the creatinine from your blood through your urine as fast as it used to, so it will build up a bit, and you will see your creatinine numbers rise, which in turn will lower your estimated GFR (eGFR). This might give your doctor the FALSE idea that your kidney function is getting worse, but in reality, they could be just fine - stable, maybe even improving. Because you eat a lot of meat and because you lift a lot of weights, your creatinine levels will be inflated. For people who eat a carnivore diet or do resistance training and have impaired kidney function, another test, call a Cystatin C, is a better way to calculate eGFR, because that's a waste product that is NOT influenced by what you eat or the amount of exercise you do.

I've been stage 4 since at least January 2020, and I have been carnivore since May 2023 (1.5 years now).