• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

White or Dark Meat - Which do you prefer?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer when it comes to poultry?

• Chicken or Turkey White meat
    • Chicken or Turkey Dark meat
    • I like both
    • Goose or Duck Breast
    • Goose or Duck Dark Meat
    • Wild Game Birds
    • Organ Meat (Liver, Gizzard, Heart)

While it is true that pork is often referred to as "the other white meat" - it is actually red meat. 

Also, while birds like duck and goose are poultry and considered "white" meat, because they are birds of flight, however, the breast meat is darker than chicken and turkey breast. Since chicken and turkey are usually less expensive and more readily available than other poultry - this poll is intended to be about the meat found in chickens and turkeys - however, there are options in the poll to allow for other poultry.

Edited by Qapla

So I am a white meat guy. I usually prefer a chicken breast. I'll default to turkey breast also but will admit that turkey can be much more dry.

I've had goose, duck, and pheasant, but that was when i was a child so I don't have much memory of what they tasted like. 

As far as organ meats, I have had beef liver and turkey hearts. They are both good. I definitely want to try other organ meats as they are usually supercharged with nutrition. 

I, too, prefer white met over dark when it comes to the flesh/muscle of the chicken and turkey. I prefer the breast meat, but I do like chicken wings when they are properly cooked - and I like my wings hot and spicy.

I will admit, if you're going to make chicken/turkey croquettes, they really need some dark meat added to the mix or they tend to be too dry and fall apart too easy.

When it comes to organ meats, I like fried chicken livers. I also like the turkey liver when roasted with the bird. I am not keen on gizzards and hearts.

21 hours ago, Qapla said:

I will admit, if you're going to make chicken/turkey croquettes

That must be a southern thing because I have never heard of croquettes before. I see that word I think of...

croquet.jpeg

Ah, those look interesting. I've never heard of them and here I figure I have eaten just about everything, lol.

If course, the breading in a traditional chicken or turkey croquette is a big NO-NO for a keto or carnivore dieter, so I would probably modify the recipe as follows...

1. Mince the meat and shape your croquette.
  2. Roll it in almond flour and fully coat it (skip this step if you are Carnivore).
  3. Dip it in beaten eggs and immediately cover with crushed pork rinds.
  4. Bake at 375-400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Of course, this is off the top of my head and I will have to test this the next time I have chicken or turkey.

Welcome John!

:welcome:

9 hours ago, John said:

Duck legs. Roasted with salt and pepper.   Amazing flavour, crispy skin. That’s the way to go!

That sure sounds good. I've never had duck legs before (I have had duck) in the manner that you describe. Are chicken or turkey legs comparable, or is this in a league of its own? :)

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

... for those who eat cake.

Never again for the rest of my life. I will have to take your word for it. 

Actually, I might entertain a single bite. My daughter made flan at home for the first time the other week. She's like "I know you won't eat one but will you at least have one bit and let me know how you think I did?". So I obliged and she did great. Tasted as good as if not better than the Mexican restaurant we like. But that's all I had. Just one bite, lol. 

2 hours ago, John said:

Just one bite of flan! That’s proper will power. I have such a sweet tooth, and just done 3 weeks on Carnivore. One bite of cake too dangerous at this point.

Yes, it's too early for you yet. I've been "fat adapted" for several months now. 

I've made a personal vow to never eat sugar or grain again. I've got a health issue that is very bad, and I believe this is a pivot point in my life. I can either try to stop it in it's tracks through diet, or I can continue eating like I have most my life and watch it get worse. I'm just hoping I haven't already breached the point of no return.

So one bite is all I am willing to give, and even then only once in a blue moon.

• 3 weeks later...

I love both white and dark meat chicken and turkey. I've never actually had duck or goose before, but I would be willing to try both someday for sure. My spouse enjoys dark meat chicken and turkey, so I always make sure to save them more dark pieces. I'll stay away from organs like gizzards, livers, etc though just doesn't sound appetizing to me at all!

I prefer dark meat on just about everything. And livers and beef hearts and tongue. ... Only had duck one time when I was a wee little feller and pretty sure my aunt had no idea what she was doing. (looking back) Seems like she boiled it and made some sorta gravy outta it.

My first post. I think I might like it here. Reminds me of Forums of old. 🙂

2 hours ago, ol_hilly said:

My first post. I think I might like it here. Reminds me of Forums of old. 🙂

Yes, I'm a forum junkie. I got hooked on them in the mid 90's when I got my WebTV and discovered UseNet. I'm still on a dozen or so today. Many are gone or ghost towns but there are still many that are alive and well.

Welcome to Carnivore Talk. We're less than 2 months old so we're young but growing.

I can’t stand white meat in poultry. It’s only tasty if made into some type of salad or in a sandwich slathered in Mayo. If for some reason I find myself having to eat white meat I’ll drown it in butter to make it palatable and healthy. I’ll also eat the skin with it. To me it has no flavor and is dry.
It’s dark meat for me all the way.
As far as duck goes, domestic duck is fantastic and a beautifully roasted duck with nice crispy skin is da bomb. I’d eat a whole duck once a week if I could afford it.
Now wild duck is a totally different animal. It’s not nearly as good and is very gamey, has a liver taste to me. If I kill it, I’ll eat it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 10/9/2023 at 12:05 AM, Bob said:

Yes, I'm a forum junkie. I got hooked on them in the mid 90's when I got my WebTV and discovered UseNet. I'm still on a dozen or so today. Many are gone or ghost towns but there are still many that are alive and well.

Welcome to Carnivore Talk. We're less than 2 months old so we're young but growing.

Yes, me too.  I loved Usenet.  🙂  I'm also glad to have found this forum.  I hope it grows.  I used to love lowcarber.org, but I can't get back in.  I can't remember my name and password and when I try to register again, it doesn't allow it.