• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

White or Dark Meat - Which do you prefer?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer when it comes to poultry?

• Chicken or Turkey White meat
    • Chicken or Turkey Dark meat
    • I like both
    • Goose or Duck Breast
    • Goose or Duck Dark Meat
    • Wild Game Birds
    • Organ Meat (Liver, Gizzard, Heart)

3 hours ago, Sherry said:

I used to love lowcarber.org... when I try to register again, it doesn't allow it. 

Right. I've wanted to register, but it says that the Admin has disabled Registrations, which makes no sense to me at all.

13 hours ago, Sherry said:

Yes, that's why I said dark meat is my favorite and then added in, "also wings".  That was to show you that I loved dark meat and the exception was wings.

Just squint your eyes when eating wings, you'll be fine. 

• 1 month later...

Duck hearts are absolutely delicious, but very hard to find where I live. Duck anything is awesome, though. Crispy duck skin is maybe the only food on earth that is tastier than bacon. The problem is, you have to kinda sacrifice the breast meat if you're roasting a whole bird to get the skin perfect. Worth it, though!

Duck hearts are absolutely delicious, but very hard to find where I live. Duck anything is awesome, though. Crispy duck skin is maybe the only food on earth that is tastier than bacon. The problem is, you have to kinda sacrifice the breast meat if you're roasting a whole bird to get the skin perfect. Worth it, though!

I do love some duck. Unfortunately it’s a little pricey here or I’d eat it more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I like dark meat of turkey the most but white is really good when dipped in gravy.

Well I just learned that duck has white meat. Funny I used to think I was relatively smarter than average but I have been surprised at not picking up on some things along the way in my life so more frequently than not I probably seem dumb to people because I tend to think I don't know a lot for certain.

I heard duck has no white meat. That was stated somewhere around me, perhaps on a relatively reliable source like Julia Child's show of all cooking shows to be stated on and not just obvious hearsay. I don't recall that it was definitely there though. I never desired or had an opportunity to eat duck and did not have my "radar" attuned to duck aside from how cool looking and sounding of a bird I consider them to be.

Duck first and foremost to me makes me recall that when my mother was a young girl her and her brother had pet ducks. One day they noticed they were missing. They learned that their mother had fed them to them. I say never ever give a child a pet they may one day have to eat. Sad and horrifying but your own upbringing and times you grew up in factor into the equation. The mother lived a hard life and raised two kids during most of their childhood by herself.

Duck meat may be officially classified as a white meat but it is definitely not white.
Because it’s breast is a muscle meat it has higher myoglobin so it’s red or dark in color.
I’ve eaten a lot of duck both domesticated and wild. They are one of my favorite fowl. The domestic duck is mild in flavor but rich in fat. Very delicious and no white meat. The wild ones tend to be very gamey with a liver taste to them. They are best soaked in buttermilk overnight and cooked to a medium rare. Goose is the same both domestic and wild.
We used to raise a lot of different fowl when my kids were younger. My son had no problem eating any that we slaughtered but my daughter wouldn’t eat them. I asked her why because she never had any problems eating any wild game I brought home. In fact her favorite were dove. She said she just couldn’t eat something that she used to know. Giving them the names of food didn’t help her get get over that.
She has grown out of that silliness and now her and her husband raise their own cattle and bison on occasion for consumption. She no longer has an issue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk